PDA

View Full Version : My future project - VXR dream

Younge
28th June 2012, 03:00 PM
I came up with this idea a few years ago before i moved to Australia but never got around to doing it due to money issues.
Now i've got a bit of cash to mess around with i would like to share with you what my plans are.

I'm going to buy a VXR in a common colour, something like black or silver (Not arben blue because its to gorgeous as it is)
The first thing i'm going to do is the following.

http://i53.tinypic.com/3rb0n.gif
or
http://i53.tinypic.com/2dqtyt3.gif
The colour i'm looking to get is something like the seat .http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3500035134_6a6b0cc795_b.jpg

I've always wanted to be a little different and i hope i can follow this through this time. I'm currently on the look out for a VXR in Brisbane area.

If you hear of anyone selling one please do get in touch. i'm going to be really picky on which vxr so it could take a while!

Also, does anyone know any decent body shops?

JohnBu
28th June 2012, 03:14 PM
Unless you don't plan on selling the car, I wouldn't recommend respraying a car a different colour!

Younge
28th June 2012, 03:17 PM
Why is that? i'm sure someone will want to buy it once i'm bored in a few years time :D

CNBLU
28th June 2012, 03:34 PM
Thats some dream....

As said be prepaired to hang on to it because its not the most sort after colour ;)

Younge
28th June 2012, 03:36 PM
My brother had a VXR when i was younger, i've always wanted one and thought hard about what i would do, i know the colour would notmake it easy to sell on, but i hope i keep the car for many years to come.
If i did have trouble selling her, i could just re paint her to the orignal colour.

I've always wanted to stand out from the crowd and have something different, i guess some people will like it, others will hate it! can't please everyone.

JohnBu
28th June 2012, 03:50 PM
Why is that? i'm sure someone will want to buy it once i'm bored in a few years time :D

You'll get a much lower price for it when you sell, and it will cost a fortune for a proper colour change.

plus, I wouldn't buy a car that's been resprayed.. buyers asked why has it been resprayed..

Maybe buy a black one and then vinyl wrap it in yellow.. keep the side strips and roof black.

Younge
28th June 2012, 03:55 PM
That's such a good shout! i love your thinking!
how much does wrapping cost? less or more than spraying?

guy 27
28th June 2012, 03:56 PM
cheaper than spraying.

JohnBu
28th June 2012, 04:01 PM
That's such a good shout! i love your thinking!
how much does wrapping cost? less or more than spraying?

It's like a prostitute's fee structure, she'll charge you much less if your wrap it compared to spraying it.

Younge
28th June 2012, 04:04 PM
So thats settled than, i'll wrap it!
does anyone know roughly how much it will cost?
i'm guessing the wrapping can be undone after a few years?

Regards

CNBLU
28th June 2012, 04:15 PM
It's like a prostitute's fee structure, she'll charge you much less if your wrap it compared to spraying it.

rofl

fatherhood has made you very wisdomess!

poita
28th June 2012, 04:17 PM

That's the funniest shit ever!!

On topic I was quoted $3k to wrap the Corsa in a flat colour.

JohnBu
28th June 2012, 04:28 PM
I'm glad I can entertain..

$3k is going to be much cheaper than a proper respray with any detriment to resale... on the contrary, it will help preserve the paint.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135662

CNBLU
28th June 2012, 05:09 PM
3k is dirt cheap compared to full respray to yellow then a full respray back to its original colour ;)

guy 27
28th June 2012, 05:40 PM
Wrap also protects the paint. My brother just got his cx7 wrap taken off. Was applied nearly 4 years ago when the car was brand new and there is not one mark on the paint work.

hazrd
28th June 2012, 05:56 PM
Got a mate that had his car resprayed for $12k so even if the wrapping costs a little more than 3k you will still come out in front!

poita
28th June 2012, 08:08 PM
And a full respray can and most likely will cost you a hit load more in the long run.

What ever you are quoted, double it then add some more to make sure

Younge
29th June 2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback, i will be wrapping the car! it seems like the good thing to do! i'm surprise more don't do it!
Once i find the car i'll start thinking about mods. i'm looking forward to having something to look forward to.

adam_92
29th June 2012, 11:33 AM
The cars paint needs to be absolutely immaculate though. Any scratches, dents etc will be magnified with the vinyl

Wraith
29th June 2012, 01:23 PM
Younge, if it's what you really want to do without worrying about all the obvious long term consequences mentioned and everything else that goes along with doing a highly modified car project that go for it and enjoy the experience, you'll either love it and keep it long term/forever or sell it and never do it again...

All I'm going to suggest 'if' your going to own the car long term contrary to other opinions is do it properly, especially the paintwork - that is the most visible part of any car and is what gives its the character !!!

Wrapping it is IMHO not the way to go about it unless of course all your looking for is a temporary approach, your opting to change to a completely different colour and to do that properly you have to change every bit of it, ie. interior visible metal areas, engine bay and boot areas etc. etc. how are you going to do that with wrap ???

It will need to be stripped and done properly, otherwise how will it look when you open a door or boot or bonnet and the insides are a different colour to the outside of the car especially if it's yellow ?? it won't look right - maybe you could get away with a black engine bay though if the original colour is black...IMO take the time and spend the money on that part of it, don't cut corners you can always cut corners on other parts of modification process which are not readily visible :)

Younge
29th June 2012, 02:10 PM
Wraith,

I agree with what you are saying, i think first step is to find the car, once i've done that i will just go with the flow. I've not had a project to concentrate on for some time.
I agree with you about cutting corners! i'll do my research into each mod before i purchase.

Either way, stay tuned! going to be a fun project.

ChrisMaz
29th June 2012, 02:15 PM
Here I was thinking that VXR's stand out already :p

Wraith
3rd July 2012, 12:50 PM
Wraith,

I agree with what you are saying, i think first step is to find the car, once i've done that i will just go with the flow. I've not had a project to concentrate on for some time.
I agree with you about cutting corners! i'll do my research into each mod before i purchase.

Either way, stay tuned! going to be a fun project.

Sounds good, definitely don't take the cheap skate approach on its appearance otherwise it'll end up looking like a 'chavmobile' especially for a car like a VXR...remember you did mention you have a bit of cash to play with, so go for a neat and quality end result with it, take a look at Poitas orange Cali project, it's looking very good main reason is because it's been done properly especially the new paint job which has been done ground up which is the best way to go...

There's alot of cars running around in matt wrap finishes and they look shit IMHO (that's my personal opinion) it's like having faded or old worn out paint, some are adopting grey shades which ends up looking like the car was left in undercoat - why even bother ...

I'm sure we all look forward to seeing a neat modified shining yellow AH VXR :)

Here I was thinking that VXR's stand out already :p

A yellow one would be more of a standout ;)

hazrd
3rd July 2012, 01:08 PM
Dont forget the Taxi sign on the roof :p

(sorry, someone had to say it ;) )

Younge
3rd July 2012, 01:12 PM
Lol!!!! I may just go out and buy a taxi sign now! I'm sure there are some people who want to ride with me listening to some really clear, loud music ;)

p.s... i'm a very big believer in sound... i hope some of you get to see and hear what i've got planned ;)

hazrd
3rd July 2012, 01:22 PM
I am a car audio nut... I look forward to it ;)

Younge
3rd July 2012, 01:24 PM
I might have to private message you, need to find out if its cheaper buying from the UK and importing or purchasing local?

What are your thoughts? i don't want cheap brands..

hazrd
3rd July 2012, 01:51 PM
Shoot us a PM and ill reply to you when I get home tonight ;)

Wraith
4th July 2012, 01:29 PM
Lol!!!! I may just go out and buy a taxi sign now! I'm sure there are some people who want to ride with me listening to some really clear, loud music ;)

p.s... i'm a very big believer in sound... i hope some of you get to see and hear what i've got planned ;)

I am a car audio nut... I look forward to it ;)

+ 2

Same here, I'm a big fan of ICE or car audio...have quite a custom set up in my vert that took years to complete and still adding to it :)

Alot of new cars come with pretty decent OEM set ups that don't need upgrading or modifying which is a bit of a relief as people like us won't need to bother with all the time, effort and money it takes do do major ICE mods...

I look forward to seeing yours Younge when it's all finished :D

Younge
4th July 2012, 02:11 PM
I'm going to be stealing a friends idea from back home, he took the spare tyre out of the boot and built a custome seal which was sound proof for a massive sub to go in. Mounted amps ethier side with a plastic cover so you could see the setup.
I still want a boot so this is a good work around.
I'm also going to sound proof the whole car, i didn't believe in this until i heard how much of a difference it makes!

I'm currently on the hunt for a VXR and until i find a decent one this project is on hold! i will continue dreaming though!

Going back to England in 2 weeks for a hoiday! will try go to a few VXR meets and see what ideas i can pinch :)

mickos
4th July 2012, 04:37 PM
I'm going to be stealing a friends idea from back home, he took the spare tyre out of the boot and built a custome seal which was sound proof for a massive sub to go in. Mounted amps ethier side with a plastic cover so you could see the setup.
I still want a boot so this is a good work around.
I'm also going to sound proof the whole car, i didn't believe in this until i heard how much of a difference it makes!

I'm currently on the hunt for a VXR and until i find a decent one this project is on hold! i will continue dreaming though!

Going back to England in 2 weeks for a hoiday! will try go to a few VXR meets and see what ideas i can pinch :)

Whats your budget for a VXR?

Younge
4th July 2012, 04:44 PM
I have about 15k saved in an account with 3k tax back coming and every weeks wage i don't spend.
I'm off to england in 2 weeks so no doubt i'll spend a fair bit there!

I've also got funds in the UK i could move over if need be, I would like to spend 15-20k on a VXR as i feel thats the going price right now.

The project itself will be piece meal without a budget.