PDA

View Full Version : smelly vents

Bulldog79
18th June 2012, 12:37 PM
gday guys i have got my self a 2000 holden astra i have had it for a bout 2 months its been going good untill yesterday i am getting a strong fumey smell like a rotten egg when i turn on the heater or when it is just blowing cold air does any one have a idear what this could be thanks

Corsa SRI Guy
18th June 2012, 12:44 PM
Do a search on 'cabin filter replacement' and it will explain exactly what's wrong on your Astra and a 'how to' to replace yours. It's a common problem with our cars and a replacement cabin filter should only cost around $30 or so.

guy 27
18th June 2012, 12:44 PM
Most likely you just need to replace the pollon filter.

Corsa SRI Guy
18th June 2012, 12:45 PM
Sorry pollen filter, not cabin filter lol

dizzydumb
18th June 2012, 01:03 PM
Pollen filter would do the trick. Then again, on really humid days there'll be moist built up inside. What i'll do is turn on the A/C and turn the thermostat to max heat, set it to extract fresh air (not recirculate in the car), and open the windows. Drive it for a good period like that and the smell will die.
The reason A/C must be turned on is because it produces DRY air, and that's what you need to dry up moist in the system. I only get this smell when I don't turn on the AC for a few days. In the summer when I need the AC all the time, the smell doesn't happen. Hope this helps

dutchy
18th June 2012, 05:33 PM
gday guys i have got my self a 2000 holden astra i have had it for a bout 2 months its been going good untill yesterday i am getting a strong fumey smell like a rotten egg when i turn on the heater or when it is just blowing cold air does any one have a idear what this could be thanks

rotten eggs, you're lucky mate, mine smells like smelly socks !!! :lol:

dizzydumb
20th June 2012, 11:45 AM
rotten eggs, you're lucky mate, mine smells like smelly socks !!! :lol:

LoL I got that a lot with my old TS astra, not so much for the current AH.

Corsa SRI Guy
23rd June 2012, 12:07 AM
It definitely sounds to me like the pollen filtered to me. When the car gets selected to recirculation it has to draw air though l the cabin filter and it tends to be all gummed up and stinks pretty bad. My Corsa refit was a wery easy task as it sits under the external air vent trimming under the windscreen on the outside and took over 10 mins to fit. Talk to guy about location for ur car as Corsa's Witt in a different area

Tones67
1st November 2012, 12:14 PM
I thought all air (fresh & recirc) was pushed through the pollen filter?

DWS 92
1st November 2012, 02:18 PM
Nope, usually recirc diverts the air flow from coming in through the pollen filter. Pollen filters are usually somewhere in the engine bay or are in the cabin, but fed air directly from outside.

If you ever change one you'll know what I mean.