PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Opel Astra Update Revealed Ahead Of Australian Debut

Nurb608
18th June 2012, 08:06 AM
Opel has pulled the wraps from its updated-for-2013 Astra range this week, following the back-end unveiling of the overseas Sedan variant earlier this month.

Today's news comes with confirmation that Australian buyers will get the latest version of the Astra when the Opel brand makes its local debut late next month.

“The timing for our local launch could not be more ideal, in allowing us the opportunity to bring the freshest Astra face to market from the outset,” Opel Australia Managing Director Bill Mott said.

“It’s a clear sign of the importance placed on both the Astra in our model line-up, and our local launch overall, that production for Australia has been expedited to allow us to launch the updated Astra at the same time as Germany.”

The unveiling of the updated Astra is big news for the German brand's local arm: launched in 2009, the small car makes-up fully one-third of global Opel sales.

Opel Australia will certainly be looking to this mid-life refresh to drive sales of the stylish five- and three-door Hatch models, along with the Tourer wagon, in Australia's competitive small-car market.

Australian specifications for the Astra range have still to be revealed, but in Europe, the 2013 Astra range will be offered with seven engines: four petrol engines ranging in power from 74 to 132kW, and three diesels ranging from 70 to 96kW.

Two of the diesel models will be based on the same 1.7 CDTi ecoFLEX engine, equipped with a start/stop system and other fuel-saving technologies to offer claimed fuel consumption figures as low as 3.7 l/100km.

In 2013, another petrol engine will join the range: GM's new turbocharged 1.6 litre SIDI ECOTEC four-cylinder petrol engine.

Watch for more details to come for the Australian Opel line-up in the next month.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/54364/2013-opel-astra-update-revealed-ahead-of-australian-debut?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheMotorReport+%28The+Motor+R eport%29

poita
18th June 2012, 08:13 AM
I don't mind the Astra Wagon either, those tail lights suit the shape so well!

hazrd
18th June 2012, 08:31 AM
The new Astra wagon definitely looks the goods in comparison to the previous model. This is great news!

And Rory, stop putting Mel out of a job :lol:

Nurb608
18th June 2012, 08:33 AM
The new Astra wagon definitely looks the goods in comparison to the previous model. This is great news!

Lol, she'd have better news than me up her sleeve :)

faneca
18th June 2012, 08:40 AM
Lol, she'd have better news than me up her sleeve :)

Only she is probably still waiting for it hahaha

Jen
18th June 2012, 01:37 PM

Ha I was going to say the same thing!

JohnBu
18th June 2012, 03:26 PM
Not sure what Aust will get but this is interesting.."new high-performance 2.0-litre turbo diesel with 143kW and 400Nm."

http://theage.drive.com.au/newlook-astra-returns-20120618-20jco.html

ChrisMaz
18th June 2012, 10:37 PM
Due for the Insignia and a GTD beating Sports astra.

Vectracious
18th June 2012, 10:48 PM
Not sure what Aust will get but this is interesting.."new high-performance 2.0-litre turbo diesel with 143kW and 400Nm."

http://theage.drive.com.au/newlook-astra-returns-20120618-20jco.html

This is making a good case for being my next car. 90km round trip to work a day means I need a diesel next - and 143kw/400nm would fit the bill nicely. Just hope its not limited to the GTC.

hazrd
18th June 2012, 11:06 PM
my guess is the diesel will go in the 5 door and the wagon. it sounds logical imo

Vectracious
18th June 2012, 11:08 PM
my guess is the diesel will go in the 5 door and the wagon. it sounds logical imo

You don't think they would put it in the 2 door as well?

JohnBu
19th June 2012, 09:25 AM
You don't think they would put it in the 2 door as well?

Depends on what they are doing overseas, but diesel hot hatches are becoming more common, i.e. Golf GTD and the previous Megane Sport

Even if it was made, I'd doubt it come to Australia as most 2 door drivers would want the full monty OPC.

Vectracious
19th June 2012, 09:33 AM
Depends on what they are doing overseas, but diesel hot hatches are becoming more common, i.e. Golf GTD and the previous Megane Sport

Even if it was made, I'd doubt it come to Australia as most 2 door drivers would want the full monty OPC.

as long as it it's in the 5 door - not fussed. I know people say 2 doors are fine with kids (Mr and Mrs H) but I can't justify one - which is why although I would also love a Megane RS I'll probably never have one any time soon.

2002_XC
19th June 2012, 10:00 AM
I know people say 2 doors are fine with kids (Mr H) .

not me!

ChrisMaz
20th June 2012, 11:57 AM
Called it.

"Slotting in below its VXR performance range is a new turbodiesel Astra, packing a 2.0-liter twin-turbo diesel four with 195 horsepower and a whopping 295 lb-ft of torque. The sequential twin-turbo oil-burner is the same as Vauxhall offers in the larger Insignia, but in the smaller hatchback, all that twist helps the Astra GTC BiTurbo run from 0 to 62 mph in 7.8 seconds en route to a 139 mph top speed"

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/19/vauxhall-launches-new-195-hp-turbodiesel-astra-gtc-together-with/

poita
20th June 2012, 12:00 PM
Pretty sure I have just found my new car :D

hazrd
20th June 2012, 04:45 PM
I stand corrected :)

sooty
20th June 2012, 05:23 PM
That's a shockingly slow 0-60 for that much power and torque.

Nurb608
20th June 2012, 05:55 PM

Car weighs as much as a house though lol.

gmonkey
20th June 2012, 06:01 PM

was thinking same thing... oh well probs good tuning program to come for it to fix that aslong as the gearbox/flywheel holds up haha