PDA

View Full Version : Towing a 1500kg caravan with a CDXI.

gvr69
6th June 2012, 08:31 PM
Howdy all, has anyone towed a smallish caravan, say 1500kg with a CDXI Vectra. I know it's like feeding strawberry's to pigs hooking a caravan on the back of my Vectra but I may need to for a short period of time. If anyone has done this what mods were done to safeguard the Vectra like oil cooler etc and how did it handle the job.

guy 27
6th June 2012, 08:40 PM
its built to tow 1600kg. weather it will like it is another thing.
might be very worth while installing new shocks in the rear if they are still the original.
If your still running oem brake components it might also be beneficial to put in better pads upfront.

hazrd
6th June 2012, 08:50 PM
what year vectra is it? i know that some of the cdxi vectras had some issues with condensation in the transmission. might want to get that checked out aswelll just to be on the safe side

gvr69
6th June 2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the input. It's a 2005 model with new shocks a year ago and RDA disc pads which cut down the brake dust issue.

ChrisMaz
7th June 2012, 01:14 AM
Should be fine mate if you've replaced the shocks and pads.

Can I ask why you replaced the shocks last year?

gvr69
7th June 2012, 08:26 PM
This is a my second CDXI, I purchased the first in 2003 when they were first released and did 180k in it and 18 months ago traded it on my current 2005 model which had 70k on it. I couldn’t find anything else for the money that represented such value. Because I was used to the ride and handling I was aware that the shocks were suspect. When I purchased this one it came from the used car dealer with 4 new tyres and after I’d travelled about 15k I noticed patchy wear on the rear tyres which points to worn shocks. I replaced all 4 shocks and the rear tyres and have had no further problems. Ride and handling improved to what I remember the 2003 model to be like. Cheers.