PDA

View Full Version : ADR clarification - Airbags

The 2nd Womble
25th May 2012, 05:36 PM
I'm concidering a VX steering wheel:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z312/aussiewomble/3f8c3864.jpg
The spline and as a result the steering wheel skeletin will need a modification and engineers approval, but I know two who have had this done so that shouldn't be an issue.
What I never thought about was the airbag itself. Provided the wheel is passed and all is well, from how I interpret the ADR's, the steering column unmodified as well as the airbag unit unmodified - it is actually plug and play with the TS Astra comnector AND the squib fits the TS column - both comply with ADR 10/69/73 (which ever applied to the vehicles when new) then it breaks no rules?

hazrd
25th May 2012, 05:39 PM
Why dont you just buy a commodore? :p

On a serious note, if it can be engineered and passes, I cant see a problem. However im not sure how the TS airbag loom will hook up to the VX steering wheel, or even how that would be tested?

If you can get it to work and pass no worries, then kudos indeed!

DJM83
25th May 2012, 05:49 PM
Thats a VY steering wheel, just so you know.

I cannot fathom why it would be worth the effort :facepalm2:

The 2nd Womble
25th May 2012, 06:02 PM
Well the airbag electrical plugs on both are identical, the squib does fit, and it all sits where it should on the column spline. Heres the ADR excerpts I'm referring to :)

ADR 10—Steering Column

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to minimise crushing or penetrating injuries to drivers due to the ‘Steering Column’ as a result of frontal impact.

And both airbag units - separate from the function of the steering column - comply with ADR's 69 and 73:

ADR 69—Full Frontal Impact Occupant Protection

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify vehicle crashworthiness requirements in terms of forces and accelerations measured on anthropomorphic dummies in outboard front seating positions in full frontal test crashes so as to minimise the likelihood of injury to occupants of those seating positions.

ADR 73—Offset Frontal Impact Occupant Protection

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify crash worthiness requirements in terms of forces and accelerations measured by anthropomorphic dummies so as to minimise the likelihood of injury to the occupants in offset frontal impacts.

The 2nd Womble
25th May 2012, 06:05 PM

Because I strongly dislike the TS wheel, the Commodore job is alot more comfortable and better looking, and this is car modding :)

guy 27
25th May 2012, 06:08 PM
no issues with what you're doing here legally as long as the airbag is still functional.

honestly though maybe look at an astra turbo styled steering wheel or even wiring in an astra AH steering wheel. both are a much nicer and aesthetically pleasing compared to the commodore one.

DJM83
25th May 2012, 06:09 PM
Because I strongly dislike the TS wheel, the Commodore job is alot more comfortable and better looking, and this is car modding :)

Yeah agreed, but IMHO the money could be better spent though.

The 2nd Womble
25th May 2012, 06:17 PM
How to get around the CANBUS though?

Nurb608
25th May 2012, 06:17 PM
In all honesty, cant see it passing. There is a reason the VXR still has an Opel badge on it and not a HSV badge ;)

Yes anything is possible, and i'm sure you can find someone to sign off on it, but it's an airbag, not something id **** with.

The 2nd Womble
25th May 2012, 06:20 PM
I've also learned after reading a few pommy posts lately that a 2.25" exhaust systrm robs the 1.8 of any low to mid range torque, so theres at least $1500 not wasted. I can justify it to myself. My wife is another story.

guy 27
25th May 2012, 06:24 PM
How to get around the CANBUS though?

you don't have canbus.

The 2nd Womble
25th May 2012, 06:25 PM
In all honesty, cant see it passing. There is a reason the VXR still has an Opel badge on it and not a HSV badge ;)

Yes anything is possible, and i'm sure you can find someone to sign off on it, but it's an airbag, not something id **** with.

Yeah, a Qld TMR approved automotive engineer will have the last word prior to going ahead. I don't want a malfunctioning nose breaker or a steering column speering me in the face. I'm challenged enough in the looks department now. Still, it does seem possible.

The 2nd Womble
25th May 2012, 06:26 PM
you don't have canbus.
I don't but an AH or same age 4 spoke Vectra C wheel controls do

guy 27
25th May 2012, 06:27 PM
my honest recommendation to you would be an irmy carbon steering wheel. Will match your interior much better and be fully legal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/Oddjob323/b06f9129.jpg

guy 27
25th May 2012, 06:28 PM
I don't but an AH or same age 4 spoke Vectra C wheel controls do

plenty of people overseas have wired them up to work. its not overly complex.

The 2nd Womble
25th May 2012, 06:38 PM
But I haven't got a good brain...

benzino
26th May 2012, 06:14 PM
for the amount of effort you would need to put in, that commodore wheel is incredibly ugly especially when the G turbo wheel is direct fit and so much nicer

gmonkey
26th May 2012, 09:41 PM
Id get a corsa d or astra j or insignia wheel... Soo much better looking and functional, commodore wheel looks like shit and very plastic and chunky looks cheap and nasty

faneca
26th May 2012, 10:08 PM
Id get a corsa d or astra j or insignia wheel... Soo much better looking and functional, commodore wheel looks like shit and very plastic and chunky looks cheap and nasty

+1 the new Astra j steering wheel looks very nice. It's far better than the one in your first post and it will already be opelised when you get it

gmonkey
26th May 2012, 11:22 PM
I wouldnt be wasting what would be in excess of $500 on a commodore steering wheel just to get it engineered and customized. Just not worth it when looks that shit..

Also to answer ur thing about the exhaust 2.25" is maximum id go for a small na engine. Power loss will be minimal at best, but u will have a note to the engine for placebo effects ( 2.25 could probably sound droney, deff dont do if u have an auto or if u do make sure u get some good mufflers/resonators) also price u wrote seems ridiculous! Unless thats with new headers

willhouse
27th May 2012, 12:20 AM
Is it just me or is that wheel bigger than the Astra one? Looks huge in the pic. Stock one is better I say.

Vectracious
27th May 2012, 02:47 AM
Is it just me or is that wheel bigger than the Astra one? Looks huge in the pic. Stock one is better I say.

I'd say the overall diameter of the Commo wheel is greater than a stock Astra one - probably not by much but the design just looks bulkier. Maybe womble can confirm?

The 2nd Womble
27th May 2012, 10:00 AM
Thats the thing. It's a bulky design, but I'd say the diameter is 10mm less after comparing them wheel to wheel. The Dunny Door has a much thicker rim and a larger centre, but it's deffo smaller.
In this trim I think it looks the Ducks:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z312/aussiewomble/fb908fea.jpg

gmonkey
27th May 2012, 10:05 AM
4spoke wheels always look crap to me, pensioner spec

The 2nd Womble
27th May 2012, 10:06 AM
Well I did just turn 40 :)

chrissn89
27th May 2012, 10:47 AM
Just use the SRi-T steering wheel. It looks nice and feels sporty to drive with. The Commodore steering wheel even tho it plugs in are you 100% sure it will work 100% correctly in an accident. Imo i wouldnt risk it mate it may need to save your life or your wifes.

SRi-T Steering wheel

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm213/chrissn89/P1000391.jpg

The 2nd Womble
27th May 2012, 10:52 AM
Save mine or my wife's lives hey? Hmmm, theres good and bad in that.

poita
27th May 2012, 11:51 AM
Just a random thought.

Would the commodore airbag be larger in volume, being designed for a larger vehicle?

So putting it in a vehicle with less cabin room may cause issues if it did go off?

Just random rambling here lol

Nurb608
27th May 2012, 12:17 PM
Just a random thought.

Would the commodore airbag be larger in volume, being designed for a larger vehicle?

So putting it in a vehicle with less cabin room may cause issues if it did go off?

Just random rambling here lol

Pretty much spot on.

benzino
27th May 2012, 06:05 PM
whenever I see that commo steering wheel, I can just see a fat bloke... and it cannot be unseen!
http://i50.tinypic.com/xpro7c.jpg

gmonkey
27th May 2012, 10:41 PM
Lol thought u meant the driver but guess it's true on both parts lol

DirtyHarry
28th May 2012, 02:53 PM
also keep in the back of your mind, insurance..i presume if you havent got this mod engineered and certified and you have a crash, you insurance might be cancelled. or if someone else drives your car and the airbag goes off, you might be liable too.

The 2nd Womble
29th May 2012, 08:09 AM
Yes the airbag wheel if fitted correctly would pass provided it is operational. Also compared several measurements from the drivers position and I have checked the bag sizes from crashed cars. The Commodore bag is the same size as the Astra. Also, the seating positiin for me in a VT is almost the same, and distance to wheel is the same. At this stage it looks good, and both the airbags must deploy under the same circumstances to be compliant.
I'd say my premiums would skyrocket even given the engineering approval mind you.

gmonkey
29th May 2012, 11:12 AM
If u can find someone to insure ur work.. Probs only justcar

benzino
29th May 2012, 05:05 PM
both the airbags must deploy under the same circumstances to be compliant.

how would they test this? would they not have to deploy the airbags?

gmonkey
29th May 2012, 08:35 PM
they can simulate it with resistance checks... but then this is only really to test the sensors work not the airbag itself

Wraith
5th June 2012, 01:04 PM

no issues with what you're doing here legally as long as the airbag is still functional.

honestly though maybe look at an astra turbo styled steering wheel or even wiring in an astra AH steering wheel. both are a much nicer and aesthetically pleasing compared to the commodore one.

+ 1

Totally agree, desregarding the mod itself which all is good, if your wanting a better looking and more comfortable to use steering wheel then try getting a hold of one from a turbo variant, much better looking and infinitely nicer to hold and use than the VY Commodore unit !!! and it'll still be an Astra after the mod :)