PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

chileno
3rd December 2004, 01:40 AM
Hi, just wondering if any one has just changed the rear muffler on an astra turbo.
all im after is a nicer tone. thought about just removing the rear muffler to see what it sounded like but scared of removing the 2 bolts, incase i cant put the spring back.
i have been told a 2 1/2 would be good and others say a 3 inch exhaust is better. that is from the cat back.
only thing im worried is that holden has told me that if i remove the rear muffler there aint a worry but from the cat back its abit of a worry-warranty wise.
then i also hear people having problems with theie engine light comin on after having an exhaust put in.
i also dont know what they sound like, and if its worth it. i like the car just hate the hoover vacuum sound. nice if it sound like a wrx!!!
thanxs

HI, JUST WONDERING IF ANY ONE HAD JUST CHANGED THE REAR MUFFLER ON AN ASTRA TURBO.
ALL IM AFTER IS A NICER TONE, THOUGHT ABOUT JUST REMOV

KevinFok
3rd December 2004, 02:31 AM
you'll never get the sound of the wrx cause its boxer engine that makes that sound

but if u want a nice tune one i reckon the remus exhuast sounds nice its got a nice tune and its that noisy or you can change to a devil exhuast they sound alright when ya rev it but they are really really quite if ur driving it normal but still looks nice

wouldnt recommend you run the car with no mufflers cause you might lose some power in some cases

but if loud is what u want get a 2 1/2 or 3 "cannon muffler

the engine light turning on probably means that the cars probably running too rich or something

my advise is to look up the euro things that they have done to their mufflers and see which one you like more......but euro stuff tend to cost a bit more

Anonymous
3rd December 2004, 09:10 AM
do not get larger than a 3" exhaust PLEASE you will only loose power a 2 1/4 exhuast will prolly get you the best of both worlds, speak to turblue as he will know what to do :D

OPC
3rd December 2004, 09:26 AM
PM sent chileno...

hope that helps ya :D

i hope you know how to retreive ya PM'S cos ive sent 2 now and no response

InsaneAsylum
3rd December 2004, 09:56 AM
if you want to create the boxer sound on an inline 4, take a look at a set of 4-2-1 extractors. you'll notice with the primaries that 1 joins to 4 and 2 joins to 3. this promotes the pulse effect where each cylinder firing "should" assist to suck the next one out of the chamber and into the exhaust. i'm no scientist but i've heard this story before from people who are supposed to know.

anyway, if you build a set of extractors that joins primaries 1-2 and 3-4, it will give the boxer sound, however possible reduce top end power due to the lack of pulse effect. not sure if or if not this will work on a turbo inline 4.. i wouldn't bother trying either, but if you really can't live without the boxer sound, buy a rex :mrgreen:

BoostedAstra
3rd December 2004, 10:01 AM
chileno, I got a 2.5" cat back back with twin 2" up swept pipes. On the dyno the other day, sounded awesome at the redline, it also doesn't drone so highway cruising isn't a pain, don't go any bigger than this unless ur mod a whole lot more......and even if ya do stay with this upgrade the rest of the zorst first(turbo back) before you put some big ass fart cannon on the back....

Julian

Anonymous
3rd December 2004, 10:28 AM
talk to mr astra or mr mohawk cos there the turbo brothers :mrgreen:

Jass
3rd December 2004, 10:57 AM
The only reason why you will get your engine light coming on is if you remove your precat and place a large diameter dump pipe right from the turbo. I have a 3" into a 3"high flow cat and a 2.5" cat back system. I had a cannon back box installed on this before and it was too loud. Sounded to drony. Now the car sounds great specially since it looks stock standard from the back witha 2" tip.

Lost a bit of power 10kw on the dyno to be exact between the old back box and new one, but at least i know its legal.