PDA

View Full Version : GM Pulls $10M Facebook Ad Account

poita
16th May 2012, 08:30 AM
So is Facebook not worth advertising on? Or is GM trying to save some coin?

http://www.neowin.net/news/general-motors-to-pull-10-million-facebook-ad-account?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Facebook claims it now has over 900 million users worldwide, but all those people don't apparently add up to a huge audience for online ads, at least for one company. The Wall Street Journal that car company General Motors has decided it will pull its paid Facebook ad campaign, said to be worth $10 million, off the site after determining that the ads didn't have much of an impact for consumers.Admittedly, that amount of money is a drop in the bucket compared to Facebook's total yearly revenue of over $3 billion. However, the fact that a major company doesn't believe that paying for ads to reach Facebook's massive user base is worth it could be a sign of things to come for the social networking site, especially as it plans to launch its IPO later this week.
GM will still pay lots of money to use Facebook. The story says the company will pay about $30 million to maintain and add content to GM's Facebook pages, which Facebook doesn't directly charge to use.
In a new survey about Facebook released today, 83 percent of the people who were polled claim to have never or hardly ever clicked on a Facebook ad.

faneca
16th May 2012, 10:10 AM
I can't say I have ever noticed them before

poita
16th May 2012, 10:15 AM
Same here

Now that facebook is full of ads they get lost in amongst it all.

The initial advertisers would of gained from it, but not the current ones

SIMid
16th May 2012, 04:34 PM
Never seen a GM ad yet. Only fake FB ads though.

If you timeline your page, the ads are more noticeable compared to the old layout. Hence I'm not going timeline on my personal page.

adam_92
16th May 2012, 07:50 PM
+1 to never seen a single gm ad on fb. Also timeline will not be an option in the near future. It is slowly becoming compulsory throughput fb. It will automatically change to timeline

gmonkey
16th May 2012, 10:11 PM
The ads change to what u type in ur status I find (or maybe thats just my spyware) guess if u type in gm or gmc or gmh or I woulda thought holden even itd come up

hazrd
16th May 2012, 10:13 PM
The ads change to what u type in ur status I find (or maybe thats just my spyware) guess if u type in gm or gmc or gmh or I woulda thought holden even itd come up

This...
Funnily enough I only know because recently I watched a doco about Facebook and how it started from scratch and how their ads work etc

Daisy
16th May 2012, 11:04 PM

chris_r
16th May 2012, 11:11 PM
Can't say I've ever seen one of their Ads on FB. Thank you Adblock Plus.

ChrisMaz
16th May 2012, 11:39 PM
Facebook ads work just like google ads. Whatever you type into the search bar, it will try and tailor ads that will be relevant to you. Its an excellent marketing tool. The more you use it. The more tailored your "ad Experience" will be.

I imagine most of GM's ads would have been for their American branch that's why no one here would see them??

dglewis80
17th May 2012, 09:25 AM
with Facebook adds you can select gender, age, country etc... So I'm tipping GM wouldn't of selected Australia for their adds.

metry
17th May 2012, 03:29 PM
facebook ads are useless. barely anyone clicks them let alone pays attention to them. our minds automatically block them out