PDA

View Full Version : New Engine range for Opel

rjastra
15th May 2012, 10:25 AM
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/54124/opel-vauxhall-to-launch-three-new-engine-lines-over-coming-year

Does this sound like the engine for an Astra SRi? And I assume it would show up in a lower priced Insignia.

The new engines will cover both petrol and diesel applications, but for now, the carmaker has released details for just one of the three units: a new 1.6 litre turbocharged petrol mill.

Utilising GM's Spark Ignition Direct Injection (SIDI) and stop/start technologies, the new ECOTEC engine will be offered in varying states of tune, topping out at 147kW at 4700rpm and 300Nm of torque at 1700rpm.

Wraith
15th May 2012, 12:37 PM
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/54124/opel-vauxhall-to-launch-three-new-engine-lines-over-coming-year

Does this sound like the engine for an Astra SRi? And I assume it would show up in a lower priced Insignia.

Nice, that's the same power output and even higher torque output at lower revs than the earlier stock 2.0ltr petrol turbos and will also have reduced fuel usage as well, definite step forward...:)

gmonkey
15th May 2012, 01:19 PM
just hope no more 4th cylinder problems like the z16ler/h had

Vectracious
15th May 2012, 01:39 PM
Looks like the saying "there's no substitute for cubic inches" in these kind of applications is no longer valid...

Sad, but it's the way of the world now.

Wraith
16th May 2012, 12:52 PM
Looks like the saying "there's no substitute for cubic inches" in these kind of applications is no longer valid...

Sad, but it's the way of the world now.

Yeah, that was always the normal way of obtaining more power without adding too much complexity and expense onto the vehicle, but now with rising costs on fuel and emissions regulations going spastic, smaller displacements with forced induction are becoming the new norm.

Forced induction is becoming almost standard now, so at least that lowers the costs of all the associated components, whereas before it was an expensive option...

rjastra
16th May 2012, 04:49 PM
Forced induction is becoming almost standard now, so at least that lowers the costs of all the associated components, whereas before it was an expensive option...

It seems that way for the Europeans... the Japanese on the other hand seem to be stuck sometime in the last century with regards engine tech. Revvy torque-less small 4 cylinders. If you want class leading economy then you have to put up with stodgey throttle response and ho-hum performance (Mazda Skyactiv and Subaru's new Impreza).

JohnBu
16th May 2012, 09:03 PM
It's odd, in the past it was mainly the Japanese who used turbos (in their performance range)...

The Japanese don't seem to be leaders anymore when it comes to turbos and are way behind in terms of engine performance.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

sooty
16th May 2012, 09:23 PM
It's odd, in the past it was mainly the Japanese who used turbos (in their performance range)...

The Japanese don't seem to be leaders anymore when it comes to turbos and are way behind in terms of engine performance.

As I mentioned in the other thread the new Subaru legacy gt has a 225kw, 400nm 2.0L direct injected turbo.
Would hardly say that's behind in engine performance lol

chris_r
16th May 2012, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't say the Japanese are behind in engine performance, as in terms of performance, cars like the turbo'd Subarus, Mitsi Evos and even the GTR are world class. It's just they don't really apply this to regular passenger cars. Also, it seems that the Euros are more about emissions and relevant efficiency, hence all the high-tech motors coming out in regular production cars.

However, on the topic of this new Opel engine, I wouldn't be surprised if HSV have this engine in their sights for a possible Cruze-based model (not that anyone cares). What also wouldn't surprise me is that if this 1.6 turns out to be an evolution or capacity increase of the turbo 1.4 that appears in the Cruze, seeing as GM Europe (Opel) are pretty much in charge of developing the smaller powertrains for GM as a whole.

Still, I remember the days when people thought 147kW from a 3.8L V6 were big numbers. Now, it's coming factory from a 1.6 turbo. I remember driving a current model C200 Merc (with 1.8 direct injected, turbo and 140kW) not too long ago and you would've thought there was a small V6 under the hood by the way it could take off.

JohnBu
16th May 2012, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't say said the japanese can't build them, but they release few good engines relative to their engineering skills.

The euros have started to use turbos to great effect on the mainstream cars- power, fuel consumption, emissions and torque.

I can't really see the downside of using turbos in small capacity engines.

Vectracious
16th May 2012, 10:26 PM
Still, I remember the days when people thought 147kW from a 3.8L V6 were big numbers.

Hahahah - yep - you and I are the same vintage - I remember vividly when the VS came out with the new ECOTEC revisions on the motor and it had a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge 147kw and we were all amazed that the V6 could put that power out.

chris_r
16th May 2012, 10:40 PM
Hahahah - yep - you and I are the same vintage - I remember vividly when the VS came out with the new ECOTEC revisions on the motor and it had a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge 147kw and we were all amazed that the V6 could put that power out.

I think I was more amazed that Holden passed that turd off as an engine. Like every other Commodore with that boat anchor, once they became a few months old they started developing that horrible exhaust rattle that screams out "Retarded P-plater that can't drive for s**t".

Vectracious
16th May 2012, 10:51 PM
I think I was more amazed that Holden passed that turd off as an engine. Like every other Commodore with that boat anchor, once they became a few months old they started developing that horrible exhaust rattle that screams out "Retarded P-plater that can't drive for s**t".

It was a shocker.

gmonkey
17th May 2012, 12:00 PM
Still, I remember the days when people thought 147kW from a 3.8L V6 were big numbers. Now, it's coming factory from a 1.6 turbo. I remember driving a current model C200 Merc (with 1.8 direct injected, turbo and 140kW) not too long ago and you would've thought there was a small V6 under the hood by the way it could take off.

same time Nissan and toyota were doing straight 6s with 206kw from factory :P or nissan with 164kw from a 2ltr 4cyl. And they wondered why they always lost bathurst proir to this :P

Wraith
17th May 2012, 12:52 PM
The above is interesting especially considering alot of the engine components - turbos, pistons, cranks and even complete gear boxes etc. etc. are manufactured by Japanese companies and supplied to Euro and other car makers...

I'm sure that when and if they decide to follow alternative vehicle trends (mechanically speaking) they'll have no problems at all...

The new range of Skyactiv diesels will 'probably' set a trend that will be followed by others instead...

rjastra
17th May 2012, 04:39 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread the new Subaru legacy gt has a 225kw, 400nm 2.0L direct injected turbo.
Would hardly say that's behind in engine performance lol

and exactly how many Liberties etc will be fitted with it? < 10%?

2002_XC
17th May 2012, 04:52 PM

...I don't think it matters. They have them

sooty
17th May 2012, 05:32 PM

Probably a higher percentage than astra's with their 2.0t, what's your point?

gmonkey
17th May 2012, 08:33 PM
It seems that way for the Europeans... the Japanese on the other hand seem to be stuck sometime in the last century with regards engine tech. Revvy torque-less small 4 cylinders. If you want class leading economy then you have to put up with stodgey throttle response and ho-hum performance (Mazda Skyactiv and Subaru's new Impreza).

in the same aspect i bet those mazda engine last next to forever while the euro ones are riddled with problems

rjastra
22nd May 2012, 12:28 PM
same time Nissan and toyota were doing straight 6s with 206kw from factory :P or nissan with 164kw from a 2ltr 4cyl. And they wondered why they always lost bathurst proir to this :P

You compare a turbo sports car engine to a family car engine? the ol' 3.8L ecotec did the job required and had quite good fuel economy figures overall. It was this same engine that GM turbocharged in the early/mid 1980s to produce the Buick Grand National (GNX)
Power 276 bhp / 206 KW @ 4400 rpm
Torque 488 Nm / 360 ft lbs @ 3000 rpm

GM/Lotus slotted a twin turbo 3.6L straight six in the Carlton for 280kW+ in the early 1990s. It was GM that brought turbocharging to the public in the 1960s :)

Don't underestimate GM