PDA

View Full Version : Ignition key cylinder problems?

Benny-o
2nd December 2004, 03:42 PM
Went to start my car yesterday to go to work and the key wouldn't turn! Steering wheel wasn't locked at all just the key wouldn't budge. Holden first told me it's very uncommon, but when the tow truck driver came he said it happens all the time over summer, when cars get too hot..

Get to holden and they tell me it will probably be fixed in the afternoon, ie 3 hours later.. guessing it happens more than they let on to be fixed that quickly..

Anybody else had a similar problem?

SmellyTofu
2nd December 2004, 04:02 PM
It is a common problem caused by a sticky barrel and heat (I think.. have to look back at the documents but it is caused by heat). It's happened to mine but only gets slightly sticky.

nickdan1
2nd December 2004, 06:33 PM
Yep its caused by heat. It happened to my car a few weeks ago twice. The second time the car went to the Holden dealer and they replaced the barrel. RACQ came and fixed it both times. They just blew air in there for a few minutes. But sometimes it doesnt work. At the time my car was about 2 or 3 weeks away from being out of warranty so im pretty lucky.

Nem
2nd December 2004, 06:48 PM
Holden said it was uncommon? LOL Thats funny - the Holden dealer I took mine to replaced mine under warranty without me asking after I asked him to put some teflon in it to loosen it up. He told me it was a well known problem.

Rhino
2nd December 2004, 07:10 PM
Yeah very common. I've never been unlucky enough to have to call out RSA, a wiggle of the steering wheel and some gentle persuasion normally fixes it.

A squirt of graphite powder should see you good.

FAR from UN-common though.

R3N
2nd December 2004, 08:17 PM
I've had it happen to mine, its really a pain. Sometimes the key just sticks there and won't come out. Just need alot of strength

Anyway called up holden, took it in, and they replaced the lock barrel, no questions asked

SmellyTofu
2nd December 2004, 08:19 PM
Issued: Aug 99

TS - IGNITION SWITCH FAILURE

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

A no start, no crank condition experienced on some TS Astra vehicles left standing in the sun for extended periods has been traced to a heat sensitive ignition switch. The heat penetrates through the steering column cover and expands the switch rotor.

SERVICE RECTIFICATION

A revised ignition switch has been introduced with a material change and can be identified by a black coloured rotor.
Refer to the relevant section of the Astra G service information in TIS for the removal and replacement instructions.

PARTS INFORMATION

Part Number: 90589314

Description; Ignition switch

Qty: 1

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

Use existing information in Labour Time Manual.

Order the new part from HSPO - all parts at HSPO are of the latest specification.

----

Issued: Dec 03

SERVICE FIX - Ignition Key Jams In Off Position Or Is Difficult To Turn from Off Position TS, TT, XC Barina/Combo with “S” Profile Ignition Keys/Barrels

This Techline supercedes the Advanced Service Information in Issue 1, Feb, 2003. It is now recommended to install the latest revised ignition
barrel instead of reworking existing parts. Production breakpoints have also been provided.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
In some vehicles the ignition key may jam in the “OFF” position or be difficult to turn from the “OFF” position.

This condition only affects ignition barrels/keys with “S” profile. It does not affect those with “D” profile.

To confirm profile type refer to Part Finder TS Catalogue, section 06-250A.

This condition results from the hard barrel pin causing excessive wear of the soft alloy ramp section of the barrel housing.

PRODUCTION RECTIFICATION
Revised ignition barrels have been fitted to vehicles from the following breakpoints:

ISOVIN: Build Date:
XC Barina - W0L0XCF6824246086 30/04/02
XC Combo - W0L0XCF2523030966 30/04/02
TS Astra - W0L0TGF4825195733 May 02
TT Zafira - W0L0TGF752H035990 Aug 02

SERVICE RECTIFICATION
Summary: For complaint vehicles install a new ignition lock cylinder and tumblers.

To Remove and Reinstall the ignition lock cylinder refer to TIS 2000 as follows:

TIS Screen Select the following
Service
Information
Standard Information
Model Astra G/Corsa C/Zafira
Year 2002
Eng. -
Vehicle
Data
Trans. -
Asm.
Group
- Electrical Equipment & Instruments
+Switches, Control Units, Relays, Ign Lock Standard
Info.
Applic’n Repair (Remove,Install,Adjust)
Document List Lock Cylinder for strg. & ign. lock R & R

Tumbler Replacement
The old tumblers must be replaced with the new ones supplied in the kit. To retain the same key coding, remove the tumblers one at a time from the old lock shaft, read the number stamped on the tumbler and then install a new tumbler with the same code into the new lock shaft in the equivalent slot.

Note. There are 4 different codes of tumbler and a total of 10 tumblers per lock cylinder.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part No.: 92146450

Description: Barrel Kit – Ignition (S profile)

Qty: 1

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
Use Labour Times information in Warranty Information section of current PV SIP CD

MickyD
4th February 2005, 10:54 AM
sorry to drag up an old post, but we've got this exact problem in our astra, any idea how much it costs to get fixed out of warranty?

Benny-o
4th February 2005, 07:03 PM
No sorry can't help you there. I guess that's what's annoying about holden with that, any warranty job they keep all the paper work and costs etc.. Labour costs can't be that high, i think it'd take no more than 30minutes to put in, and they have the parts their in stock (so it seems) but wouldn't be able to give you a cost, sorry..

Namus
4th February 2005, 07:11 PM
not at John Sivyer Holden they dont keep the costs to themselves....even for warraty-covered work.....full receipts and everything

Aus-SRi
25th July 2010, 02:14 PM
well bringing back a 5year old thread. last night went to start the car,it switched to accessories and then the key kept turning but nothing happens. i can turn the key back and take it out however all the accessories stay on, lights work etc etc, i assume its the ignition barrel that needs replacing? this is different to the common problem people have been having where the key gets stuck, with this the key turn with no resistance at all.

anyone out there have something simlar happen or know costs involved to get it fixed?

ROCCO
25th July 2010, 05:11 PM
http://www.entropiaforum.com/gallery/files/6/4/4/1/ThreadRevival-Batman.jpg

guy 27
25th July 2010, 05:21 PM
may seem stupid, but is your car an auto? if it is make sure its in park or neutral.

MAD-16V
25th July 2010, 07:03 PM
Mine would do that on occasion before I replaced the barrell myself - When the key is out the acc would be engaged.

If you push the barrell with your finger when the key is removed, it should pop back in to place and the acc should turn off.

From memory there are 2x types of barrells depending on the type of key you have.

One is roughly $140 - And the other roughly $220 ( genuine holden pricing )

Replacing it is tricky and time consuming - As you have to remove they tumbler plates in numbered order and replicate them exactly in the new barrell.

If you do it yourself - The biggest bit of advice I can give is DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE BARRELL WHEN IT IS REMOVED FROM THE CAR.

If you do this the tumblers ( which are spring loaded ) will shoot out everywhere and you will not be able to match your new barrell to your key.

You need to tape up the barrell before you remove the key - And then slowly remove the tumbler plates and read the numbers from each plate and note there location.

I actually had fun replacing the barrell in my car - But I am a bit strange like that :)

katengordy
30th December 2012, 03:48 PM
I know this is an old thread but maybe it will help someone else, the fix below works great just follow the instructions and with a bit of common sence and these you can fix the problem:

[HOLDEN ASTRA TS 2000

TITLE: ASTRA IGNITION BARREL FIXED ... NO COST!

ISSUE: IGNITION *ADVICE*
POST: "I have a TS 2000 Astra and the key kept getting jammed. It won’t turn. It happened about two years ago and cost $300 from memory. I have searched /googled every site in the world or so it seems on this problem. Seems there are Many Astra owners with this problem.

Today - fixed it ... and it didn’t cost a penny.

Step 1. Pop off the front top cover immediately behind the steering wheel. The one which the indicator and wipers stalks go through.

Step 2. Get a star (like an allen key) key and undo one screw from underneath, and two on the top sides (Revealed after step 1).

Step 3. Depress the latch on the side of the wiper stalk assy and slide out the whole assy from the slot, towards you.

Step 4. Get a small nail or very small screw driver and poke it into the small hole revealed by removing the wiper assy.

Step 5. Put your key into the gin and while holding the nail in the small hole (pressing inwards) pull the whole barrel assy out. Easy! (There's a small spring loaded 'catch' on the barrel which locks it inside the steering column.

Step 6. Look at the opp end of the barrel to the key and see a small pin which rotates when the key is turned. The last position of this pin, when you remove the key from the barrel is where the problem lies. There's a small 'ramp' inside the barrel which you can see. It will be burred and pitted from use. (and a 'sharp' end on the pin. Steel pin and soft metal barrel)

Step 7. Use a small file to smooth the metal ramp.

Step 8. Rotate the key all the way "on". Depress the Pin in slightly (against a spring) so you can rotate the barrel to the end and the pin will pop out. (Don’t Lose It, or the small spring inside the hole the pin came out of!)

Step 9. File the fat end of the pin to look rounded, not flat. This makes it easier to ride up the ramp and prevent damaging the *hit metal ramp again.

Step 10 Reinstall the pin and rotate the key so the pin can’t fly out.

Step 11. Put a small amt of grease on the pin and work with the key backwards and forwards to ensure it is working OK.

Step 12. Hold the spring catch (Step 5) down with a small screwdriver and reinsert the barrel. It can only go back in One Way! Trail and error will find it!

Step 13. Reverse assemble the stalks, covers etc.

Saved around $140 in parts.

Good luck "
POSTED BY: ROB ADAMS - SYDNEY, NSW, AUS 3/12/2007

Brando47
29th January 2013, 12:52 PM
Gonna post and say I can second this, worked a treat :) if you can find the original post on Google there's a few useful tips in the comments section. Couldn't turn the key at all and now it's as new