PDA

View Full Version : Spyshots - Astra Cabriolet

rjastra
7th May 2012, 01:39 PM
The popular Astra Cabriolet is on its way back to showrooms, with a single teaser image released last year evolving into the prototype test-car spied this week.

Spied testing alongside rival benchmarks, the new model is understood to be built on the same Delta II platform that underpins the other Astra models, along with the Holden Cruze and the upcoming Volt.

As a more premium offering than the regular Astra models, the Cabriolet will reportedly feature the Astra OPC's advanced suspension package, with the HiPerStrut sysem and a Watt's link rear axle.

Engine options will likely mirror the Astra hatch, including the GTC's 133kW 1.6 litre engine. It remains to be seen if a top-shelf OPC model will be offered.

The new model is also expected to do away with the folding hard-top of its Astra TwinTop predecessor, with a lighter and less expensive soft-top to feature in its place.

Watch for the Astra Cabriolet to debut later this year or early in 2013

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/2/0/2013_opel_astra_cabriolet_spy_photos_01_1-0507.jpg
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/2/0/2013_opel_astra_cabriolet_spy_photos_05-0507-460x272.jpg

faneca
7th May 2012, 03:24 PM
the basic shape looks pretty good i reckon, do you think they will have a different style front bumper again like previous models?

Wraith
8th May 2012, 12:51 PM
Spy pics of an AJ vert have been around for a while, I for one can't wait to see the end product and silently wishing they do an OPC spec variant too !!!

gmonkey
8th May 2012, 12:56 PM
here's hoping its a metal folding top like the H was and not the G's soft top.. the metal looks much better now days

JohnBu
8th May 2012, 01:59 PM
here's hoping its a metal folding top like the H was and not the G's soft top.. the metal looks much better now days

I actually disagree...

I prefer soft tops. Folding hard tops always looks compromised with the roof up... akward and bulky..

Wraith
10th May 2012, 12:46 PM
I think it'll definitely be a hardtop - don't think there's ever any going backwards when going from a soft top to a hardtop in vert model line ups...

Although I'm with John I too prefer soft tops, but will concede hard tops are the way forward as they provide numerous advantages compared with the soft tops and they represent a proper '2 cars in one' end product which is what convertibles are really all about.

The other personal thing for me too is I'm very interested in one of these especially if they do a hi po OPC variant and already owning a soft top vert I don't want to double up, a hard top vert is definitely what I'm interested in - one of each NICE !!! :D

chrissn89
10th May 2012, 06:37 PM
VW EOS hardtop to new VW golf soft-top. I prefer the hard top but agree they look alittle akward when up.

Wraith
14th May 2012, 01:21 PM
VW EOS hardtop to new VW golf soft-top. I prefer the hard top but agree they look alittle akward when up.

The Golf is a different model to the Eos, it's always been a soft top whenever they've decided to do a vert variant...both models are still continuing neither has been dropped.

If the Eos didn't exist, then I'd bet the new Golf vert would've been a hard top, IMHO VW have done these 2 models as they are so that they're different to each other, otherwise they'd end up with 2 very silimar vehicles in the same stable...