PDA

View Full Version : New to OpelAus: Looking for 2003 Astra SRI Turbo

ShEpS
7th May 2012, 11:26 AM
Hi All I've recently moved to Perth and within the next month or so will be in a position to buy a car. After some thought I have decided that I would like a 2003 Holden Astra SRI Turbo. I have always been into cars and modding etc and back in the uk I previously owned 2 Vauxhall Corsa's (Holden Barina here). I was part of a forum similar to this so its great to find another forum and modding scene based in Oz :)

The problem I am finding so far is that all of the SRI T's I have found for sale are based over East. I have been checking regularly on Carsales, Trading Post, Gumtree and on here. Are there any other sites that are good for used cars over here or have I covered the main ones? And is it just a case of patiently waiting for 1 to come up for sale in WA / Perth area?

I am in the process of doing research on this model but for the 2003 SRI Turbo owners on here what should I be looking out for when buying, at what Kms would a major / services need to be done? Also if this model is not as popular in WA will I still have access to the necessary servicing and repairs etc?

Thanks for reading guys.
ShEpS

boorny88
7th May 2012, 03:45 PM
So far don't think there are many out this way what part of WA are u living?

Sent from the middle of butt f**k nowhere

ChrisMaz
7th May 2012, 04:03 PM

+1

And any that are, generally have had a hard life and high KM's

lonewolf1983
7th May 2012, 09:32 PM
they come up now and again, i searched for months and nabbed one at a dealership and beat someone who was waiting for finance.
then right after, saw 3 for sale at once!

I'd sell mine but it wouldnt be cheap lol.

Timing belt/water pump servicing is the main bugbear, needs to be done at least every 60,000km and can be expensive labour wise.
SHouldnt be any issue with most mechanics dealing with them over here as long as they have a clue.

ShEpS
7th May 2012, 11:12 PM

Living just south of perth in Leeming mate.

+1

And any that are, generally have had a hard life and high KM's

Yeh that's what I figured, I'm hoping 1 will come up at some point.

ShEpS
7th May 2012, 11:16 PM
they come up now and again, i searched for months and nabbed one at a dealership and beat someone who was waiting for finance.
then right after, saw 3 for sale at once!

I'd sell mine but it wouldnt be cheap lol.

Timing belt/water pump servicing is the main bugbear, needs to be done at least every 60,000km and can be expensive labour wise.
SHouldnt be any issue with most mechanics dealing with them over here as long as they have a clue.

Cheers for pointing those out. I guess I'll have to be patient, its probably going to be a month or so before I'm in a position to buy anyway. Ideally I want 1 in arden blue, but if another comes up with good km's etc then I'd be happy. Could a dealer over here source 1 from over east?

I wasnt sure if it would be a problem, but figured there's plenty of holden garages around so surely it shouldn't be an issue.

How much would you sell yours for lol?

ChrisMaz
7th May 2012, 11:23 PM
Good luck with it all mate. Just had a look on carsales and wow... Only one SRi-T for sale in W.A, and its an AH. About 3 months ago there were 2 silver G Turbos and 3 black.

Arden blue G's is incredibly hard to find in Perth. I've personally never even seen one.

lonewolf1983
7th May 2012, 11:30 PM
never seen a blue one here either....
FYI, dont get the car serviced by Holden, expensive!

might be able to source a car from dealer with a link over east, but unlikely given the costs of shifting a car, and if you dont buy it they're out of pocket...

ShEpS
8th May 2012, 01:15 AM
Good luck with it all mate. Just had a look on carsales and wow... Only one SRi-T for sale in W.A, and its an AH. About 3 months ago there were 2 silver G Turbos and 3 black.

Arden blue G's is incredibly hard to find in Perth. I've personally never even seen one.

Cheers mate, yeh by the looks of it finding an arden blue will be almost impossible! Cant wait to get 1 and get back in to the car scene, will be a nice step up from the 1.8 SRI I had back home. Nice vectra BTW :thumbs:

never seen a blue one here either....
FYI, dont get the car serviced by Holden, expensive!

might be able to source a car from dealer with a link over east, but unlikely given the costs of shifting a car, and if you dont buy it they're out of pocket...

Yeh, I guess Holden will charge stupid prices! Suppose I will be best off waiting patiently then :) Only other option would be interstate as there is 1 for sale in Mildura, VIC but even then its too far travel to get there and find it not to be suitable, the hassel of driving it back and all the other things such as Rego etc.

Think in my time in perth I've only seen 2 G Turbo's!

ChrisMaz
8th May 2012, 01:17 AM
Cheers mate.

I'm sure if theres a member out there near Mildura (long shot..) they could have a quick look at it for you.

What are you driving at the moment? We're due for a trackday soonish.

ShEpS
8th May 2012, 01:32 AM
Yeh, probably a long shot. I'm driving a family friend's Nissan Navara STX so slightly different from what I'm used to.
Sweet, where do you normally have track days? Do you have cruises / local meets over here too?

ChrisMaz
8th May 2012, 01:45 AM
Navaras a bit of a change! :p

We used to have quite a few cruise's, but lately everyone has been too busy. Next cruise will be out to Northam for German car day.

Track days we hold at the RAC driving centre. Drive their track and skid pan courses.

ShEpS
8th May 2012, 01:56 AM
Yeh a slight change, cant wait to own a manual again :D Sounds good, I'll be up for getting involved once I sort my own ride out.

adam_92
8th May 2012, 03:02 AM
Yeh a slight change, cant wait to own a manual again :D Sounds good, I'll be up for getting involved once I sort my own ride out.

just one thing from a fellow pom... dont expect the car scene/cruises to be anythink like the uk. infact they are the complete opposite!! goodluck on finding an arden g turbs though!!

corsaford
8th May 2012, 08:21 AM
hey sheep where abouts in the uk are you from i am also from there just bought 2 calibras one is a mint red top the other is a red top but had a turbo set up installed this will be going in my corsa gsi very soon :-) i am from liverpool btw

ShEpS
8th May 2012, 05:28 PM
just one thing from a fellow pom... dont expect the car scene/cruises to be anythink like the uk. infact they are the complete opposite!! goodluck on finding an arden g turbs though!!

Cheers mate, to be fair back at home I was just casually involved and only went to the occasional meet here and there. Where bouts in the uk you from?

ShEpS
8th May 2012, 05:34 PM
hey sheep where abouts in the uk are you from i am also from there just bought 2 calibras one is a mint red top the other is a red top but had a turbo set up installed this will be going in my corsa gsi very soon :-) i am from liverpool btw

From just outside of Newcastle mate, are you living over here now? Nice 1, the corsa will be pretty quick then once it's sorted! I've only seen 1 Corsa GSi since being in Oz.

corsaford
8th May 2012, 06:12 PM
yer i got it cheap too 1994 in flame red for 900 dollars but had to get a roady and rego. been here for 3 years now. i owned a fair few corsa back home so felt the need for 1 here even tho i own a x5 lol the rules in aus suck shit tho you have to get a engineers report for the stupidest thing.

adam_92
8th May 2012, 11:56 PM
From just outside of Newcastle mate

you gotta be kidding me!! im from consett. where in newcastle you from?? iv been here 3 years just gone in april

ShEpS
9th May 2012, 10:51 AM
yer i got it cheap too 1994 in flame red for 900 dollars but had to get a roady and rego. been here for 3 years now. i owned a fair few corsa back home so felt the need for 1 here even tho i own a x5 lol the rules in aus suck shit tho you have to get a engineers report for the stupidest thing.

Nice 1 mate, lol same here, well I had a Corsa B Sxi and then a C SRI. Was considering other cars when I got here but have decided to stay vaux :D I thought the rules would have been ok out here, seems as though you see some states on the roads! What sort of rules? Where bouts in Oz are you?

you gotta be kidding me!! im from consett. where in newcastle you from?? iv been here 3 years just gone in april

haha small world mate, Im actually from Washington so not very far at all! Only been out here for a year, where bouts are you based?

corsaford
9th May 2012, 06:43 PM
I am in Victoria mate. Yer you have to get engineers reports for all kinds I just picked up 2 Calibras ver very cheap 1 is a red top the othe is a red top but built to a c20let (turbo) so that will be going in the corsa very soon. What ya doin for work over here.

ShEpS
9th May 2012, 11:56 PM
Does that vary from state to state though? My thoughts would be that in WA they would be pretty laid back. Plans sound good, you got a progress thread? Working as a web admin for a mining company mate. You?

ChrisMaz
10th May 2012, 12:14 AM
Still need engineering certs for anything structural or internal in W.A.

However... If its engine based. I wouldn't be too worried as the Police don't know what's meant to be under the bonnet of a corsa :p

If striping the interior, most definitely.

adam_92
10th May 2012, 01:26 AM
haha small world mate, Im actually from Washington so not very far at all! Only been out here for a year, where bouts are you based?

VERY SMALL WORLD!!! im in adelaide now mate. my uncle owns a furniture business based in chester le street but also has/had a showroom and warehouse in washington on the industrial estate directly opposite b&q. right next door to that huge steel manufacturing place

corsaford
10th May 2012, 09:12 AM
Yer I am a bricklayer but also working in at a power station Loy yang power money is far better I am a boiler cleaner there ! I will start up a thread soon I'll start getting pictures together

UnKnOwN
12th May 2012, 02:00 AM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/woodvale/cars/holden-astra-sri-2-0-turbo/1002141269

kabel
12th May 2012, 04:19 PM
Spotted an Arden Blue G only last week being driven by a female driver.
I have previously seen one in the Joondalup area on more than one occasion.
Could be the same one for sale in Woodvale ?

ShEpS
15th May 2012, 01:50 AM
Still need engineering certs for anything structural or internal in W.A.

However... If its engine based. I wouldn't be too worried as the Police don't know what's meant to be under the bonnet of a corsa :p

If striping the interior, most definitely.

Cheers mate :) Im guessing as you said engine mods, exhausts, filters etc then this is not required?

ShEpS
15th May 2012, 01:53 AM
VERY SMALL WORLD!!! im in adelaide now mate. my uncle owns a furniture business based in chester le street but also has/had a showroom and warehouse in washington on the industrial estate directly opposite b&q. right next door to that huge steel manufacturing place

Good stuff. Eh thats mad, that industrial estate is only up the road from mine... got my 1st corsa tinted there :D

Yer I am a bricklayer but also working in at a power station Loy yang power money is far better I am a boiler cleaner there ! I will start up a thread soon I'll start getting pictures together

Good crack, will keep an eye out for the progress thread matey.

ShEpS
15th May 2012, 01:56 AM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/woodvale/cars/holden-astra-sri-2-0-turbo/1002141269

:thumbs: Thanks mate, havent been online for a week or so but literally just stumbled across this as I came on this thread.

Spotted an Arden Blue G only last week being driven by a female driver.
I have previously seen one in the Joondalup area on more than one occasion.
Could be the same one for sale in Woodvale ?

Hopefully the add will have pics up soon then I guess go from there. According to the add it says full service recently carried out as well as full log book service history, with that sort of Km's etc is there anything I should be looking out for?

I cant buy just yet, but I may check it out at the weekend.

UnKnOwN
15th May 2012, 02:38 AM
no worries gl with the car hunt

ShEpS
17th May 2012, 01:09 AM
Cheers, looks like the Arden blue for sale on gumtree may have been sold as its no longer listed :/

kabel
19th May 2012, 12:14 AM
Just saw that I was going to have a look at it myself out of curiosity....too late !
I had noted the mobile phone number before the add dissappeared.

If you want it to try your luck PM me.
You never know it may have been pulled for other reasons.

Cheers.