PDA

View Full Version : Audi buys Ducati for $1.3b!

poita
24th April 2012, 11:32 AM
An interesting acquisition for them.

Have to say if I ever wanted to become a two demon a Ducati would be my choice. The sound of a 998 makes me weak at the knees!!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8453884

Upmarket German auto firm Audi, owned by Volkswagen, has announced plans to build a new production plant in Mexico.

The exact location for the plant would be selected later this year and production of an SUV model would start there in 2016, a company statement said on Wednesday.

"Good infrastructure, competitive cost structures and existing free trade agreements played a significant role in the choice of Mexico," said Rupert Stadler, chairman of the board of management of Audi AG, in the statement.

The group parent Volkswagen already has an automotive plant in Puebla and an engine plant in Silao, both in central Mexico.

"Production in North America is a critical factor in Audi's play for higher sales volumes in the United States and it also acts as a buffer from currency fluctuations that can negatively affect profit margins and price competitiveness," said Bill Visnic, a senior analyst from automotive website Edmunds.com.

Mexico is the second main producer and top exporter of automobiles in Latin America, with most vehicles destined for the US market.

Audi also announced on Wednesday it would buy Ducati, the Italian maker of high-speed motorcycles.

Vectracious
24th April 2012, 04:48 PM
Lambo and now ducati. Looks like ze Germans want Italy. I wonder I they can get enough coin together to buy fiat...

PaulyJ
24th April 2012, 04:59 PM
WOW!
That's very interesting indeed.
For my garage I want the 1199 Panigale S Tricolore. Saw one in Mornington and fell in love!

Vectracious
24th April 2012, 05:05 PM
Good mate of mine picked up a diavel a couple of months ago. Such a sexy bike. He even gets hardcore bikers on Harleys appreciating it!

PaulyJ
24th April 2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah very sexy bike!

JohnBu
24th April 2012, 05:29 PM
Lambo and now ducati. Looks like ze Germans want Italy. I wonder I they can get enough coin together to buy fiat...

They probably could afford to, but but too much risk.

Fiat is isn't an inspirational brand like Lambo and Ducati, Fiat also owns Chrysler.

The only part of Fiat the Germans would want are Ferrari and Maserati.

Vectracious
24th April 2012, 06:06 PM
They probably could afford to, but but too much risk.

Fiat is isn't an inspirational brand like Lambo and Ducati, Fiat also owns Chrysler.

The only part of Fiat the Germans would want are Ferrari and Maserati.

Yeah - but that's why I said Fiat - because I doubt they would sell off their prestige stuff only.

Also picking up Chrysler wouldn't be a bad thing either - gives them more manufacturing sites in the US - dunno if they already have that though - I know BMW does.

Wraith
26th April 2012, 04:34 PM
Yeah and in the process, AMG has broken off its ties with Ducati !!!

This is a hot topic ATM on the MB forums...

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2012/prestige-and-luxury/mercedes-benz/amg-severs-ties-with-ducati-29833