PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid Question.....

Anonymous
12th February 2004, 10:40 AM
just having a browse on ebay and found this....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458252068&category=15 320

Turbo Diesel Astra.... I know there is a few diesel cars there.... but wats the advantage of having a diesel engine instead of a petrol engine in a sedan.....?

Anonymous
12th February 2004, 10:45 AM
Cheaper fuel i think...

Wouldn't really touch diesal cars personally.

SmellyTofu
12th February 2004, 10:52 AM
It's only good for giving a longer tank range. Also the fuel cost of diesel in Europe is much cheaper than petrol. It's not really an advantage in Australia since the petrol companies just hike up the price of diesel though it cost much less to produce diesel than petrol.

Anonymous
12th February 2004, 10:52 AM
That's what i thought... better fuel economy aswell?

it reminds me of those old mercedes diesels u still see going around leaving a trail of smoke behind them ...

Anonymous
12th February 2004, 10:54 AM
Yeah i'd say so. Probably why its used more for vehicles traveling longer distances.

Anonymous
12th February 2004, 11:08 AM
Sorry Godfather.

We simply wrote what we knew and thought, obviously we we're wrong.

Anonymous
12th February 2004, 11:27 AM
Yeh, i barely go in turbo diesel 4wd let alone a turbo diesel car. closest i go to that is my old work's ford transit van which was TD.... since brand new it blew smoke....

but i wanted to know if the turbo diesel car still had the same issues like alot of other diesel vehicles on the road... and the advantages of having in europe......

Please godfather don't send a hitman onto me j/k 8) (suppose u'd get that alot)

SmellyTofu
12th February 2004, 11:46 AM
In fact the technology advancements of diesel has virtually closed the gap between diesel and petrol performance. Not only in acceleration but also in the environment.

In Aust, we have basically crappy diesel when you compare it to Europe. A lot of the smoke you see out of predominately grey imported 4WD is that their injectors are well and truely due for a service. Not all Hilux Surf have a bad emission. Fix that, and the amount of carbon that comes out is really minimal for an engine that doesn't have a strict emission standard in the first place.

Follow something like a M-Class or Peugeot diesel, and you'd be hard pressed to notice if it was a diesel or not (that's until you open the windows and hear the diesel chatter). Even the Japanese diesels in the Landcruisers (all the multivalve diesels) are quite good in terms of cleaniness.

Diesels on average are about 20-30% efficient whilst petrol engines are about 10-20% efficient. Hence the lower fuel consumption.

Anonymous
12th February 2004, 12:21 PM
so what fuel is actually cheaper over there, petrol or diesel?

last i remembered petrol was expensive in europe wasn't it?
hence the reason for diesel.... better fuel efficiency?

i know that diesel cars exist.... its kinda weird seeing diesel engines in little cars.... we're (or i am atleast) just so used to petrol cars here

Jass
12th February 2004, 12:28 PM
The new Vectra's are 156kw twin turbo diesel engines, with 400nm of torque. Iam not even sure they have brought them out in the uk but they look nice though.

01CDsedan
12th February 2004, 01:13 PM
There's a certain photochemical quality of the diesel fumes that, combined with Australia's light/UV levels, would lead to us having incredibly bad air quality if diesels were ever to become popular here - so I for one am glad we don't have many of them. Especially as so few owners seem to keep them tuned properly...

Having said that, I drove a Seat Arosa TDI in Italy a few years back and it was very, very good - the Arosa is a Barina-size car and it suited it very well for city driving.

ultim8DTM5
12th February 2004, 01:21 PM
You forget that until two years ago, Australia had the worst diesel in the world, full of sulphur. Now there are mandatory quality restrictions in place which has led to many new diesel models being launched.

I remember BMW held back the X5 3.0 Diesel because the standards hadn't been introduced yet.

Anonymous
12th February 2004, 04:08 PM
hmmm interesting facts here
Really enlightened my day