PDA

View Full Version : Repair & repaint job on Astra driver's door

AndrewH
30th November 2004, 08:36 AM
Hi all,

Although I have been browsing around for a while now, this is the first time I am posting on the forum here.

I own a 2001 TS Astra, and am interested in your opinions on something. About half a year ago, my car was parked on the street outside my home. Someone attempted a 3-point turn, reversed into my driver's door, and drove off. I only saw the damage when I walked out of my house later that day, so unfortunately I am left in the position where the insurance company won't pay for the damage unless I pay the excess fee.

So after being lazy for so long, I am now looking around to get my door fixed up. I have taken the car to a couple of smash repairers, and apparently since the paint is broken, it won't be a simple job.

One guy quoted me $650, and said he would have to paint both the front and rear doors in order to match the paint up properly. Another quoted me $550, and said he would only have to paint the front door, and assured me he would make sure the new paint matched up. Now, I am leaning towards the cheaper option, but am just hesitant on what the result will be like, and whether it's worth going the extra $100.

I guess I am afraid of the repainted driver' s door standing out from the other panels on the car... What do you guys think? Is this something worth worrying about? Has anyone had a dodgy job done on a panel repair and repaint, to the extent that it sticks out from the rest of the car?

Thanks for any replies, I would like to hear your thoughts. And if I have posted in the wrong place, please let me know too.

Anonymous
30th November 2004, 10:00 AM
well, that wouldnt make sense if he had to paint the rear door as well, because then he'd need t paint the front guard as well, then the bonnet, then the whole thing!!!!

They ussually just cut and polish the rest of the car to get it to match. 8)

I hope I'm right, I think em is very knowledgeable when it comes to paint jobs, etc. I don't know whether shes on her holidays yet. :?:

Jass
30th November 2004, 10:51 AM
I just went through this dilema myself. I had a small dent in the rear of the car near the wheel and i had to get the front door painted also to match. It looks great, cant even tell its diferent.

I would pay the extra 100 bucks to do it right, but that's just me. Also you need to find a panel beater you can trust and does good work!

AndrewH
30th November 2004, 04:49 PM
I see your point autumn acid... but that's what the guy said. Not sure how much truth there is in it...

And Jass - I am quite picky too, and all other things even, I would pay the extra money. But it's just that the $550 place is a lot closer and more convenient for me, and I am so fed up with the whole thing now that I just want to get it done as soon as possible. However, there's just that little niggling doubt in my mind - what if it comes back with the door looking different to the rest of the car?

But see, I don't have any experience with panel beaters, so I don't know the difference between a good job and a bad job. What's a bad job? Is it even possible that the door might stick out from the other panels?

I guess what I am asking is, am I making a fuss out of nothing, or is this a realistic concern?

Thanks a lot for your responses so far.

Any further thoughts anyone?

Shazza
30th November 2004, 08:02 PM
I'm a little concerned how if both doors needed painting to match, then why wouldnt you need to respray the entire car for it to match? So you are going to have 2 doors painted differently to the rest of the car? Quite strange.

I think most 'good' panel beaters should be able to match the damaged to to the rest of the car. Its sometimes very hard to pick any difference. What colour is your car?

Have you only gone to 2 panel beaters? Maybe you should go to a few more and get some more opinions. Don't mention to the other guys what the 1st one said about matching the second door to the first (this could be a money making scheme). I know going through this thing could be a pain in the ass, but in the end as long as you are happy with the job done, it will be worth it.

PRC33Y
30th November 2004, 09:21 PM
Its called "blending". My GF Toyota Starlet had a door another car door slammed into the front right quater panel and the guys at the local panel beater respayed the bonnet too! Look perfect!

PRC33Y
30th November 2004, 09:21 PM
Its called "blending". My GF Toyota Starlet had a door another car door slammed into the front right quater panel and the guys at the local panel beater respayed the bonnet too! Look perfect!

IMO spend the extra hundge!!!

astrix
2nd December 2004, 01:40 PM
Paying the extra $100 will not neccessarily guarantee you a good job.
Ask to see some of his work.
Ask if he will guarantee that the paint match will be undetectable.
This is probably the most important.
A good spray painter can just paint one panel and not have to blend adjoining panels.
I've had this done with my boot.
The same repairer painted my bonnet three times to get the colour match right.
(seems Star Silver is a bit hard to match)
Hence the importance of the gurantee.

extralarge
2nd December 2004, 09:28 PM
Generally a blend is what you require.

They wont paint the entire second door but it will make the repair job near undetectable.

em
3rd December 2004, 06:01 PM
I hope I'm right, I think em is very knowledgeable when it comes to paint jobs, etc. I don't know whether shes on her holidays yet. :?:

Hey Don i'm here, hols started today :)

I see your point autumn acid... but that's what the guy said. Not sure how much truth there is in it...

And Jass - I am quite picky too, and all other things even, I would pay the extra money. But it's just that the $550 place is a lot closer and more convenient for me, and I am so fed up with the whole thing now that I just want to get it done as soon as possible. However, there's just that little niggling doubt in my mind - what if it comes back with the door looking different to the rest of the car?

But see, I don't have any experience with panel beaters, so I don't know the difference between a good job and a bad job. What's a bad job? Is it even possible that the door might stick out from the other panels?

I guess what I am asking is, am I making a fuss out of nothing, or is this a realistic concern?

Thanks a lot for your responses so far.

Any further thoughts anyone?

Firstly- it depends on where the damage is on you door. Post a piccy if you can.
Secondly- Different panel beaters/Spray painters use different methods so for then to tell you 2 different methods i'm not supprised.

Usually they can blend into other panels and this may mean he will need to cut into the other door, however, he doesn’t actually need to respray the whole door in colour but he will need to clear coat the whole door.(which is why he say's i will need to paint the other door)

In the last section of your post you say "But see, I don't have any experience with panel beaters, so I don't know the difference between a good job and a bad job. What's a bad job? Is it even possible that the door might stick out from the other panels? "
if the panel is obviously a different colour and you can spot the difference then you have every right to refuse to pay! After all it's not what you’re paying for, your paying for a job that is correctly colour matched and a good painter will do this for you, and wont have a problem matching it

Let me know where in Sydney you are, I will be able to recommend some people that will do Fantastic work for you...

As for everyone’s opinions be careful as to what you actually believe... Too many people on this site pretend to know everything....and i'll be the first to admit i don't know everything about painting however i have grown up around it for 24 years :roll:

Just pm me if you want details or are unsure of something that i have said.

AndrewH
3rd December 2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks everyone for all your replies, I appreciate the comments.

Firstly, just an update on my situation. I spoke to someone at my insurance company (NRMA), and it turns out that my no-claim discount will not be affected if I do make a claim for this incident, which wasn't my fault. So I've decided to make the claim, and pay the $450 excess fee.

I have also decided to take it to the most convenient place for me, which is the $550 guy. Since this place is an NRMA-recommended repairer, the work will be covered by NRMA, and thus will have a lifetime guarantee. Somehow this eases my worries somewhat.

em, thanks a lot for your help... autumn acid was right, you do seem very knowledgeable about paint jobs. :)
Your comments have helped alleviate my concerns too.

When I bring my car in, I'll make sure that he guarantees the door will match in colour. The work should be completed by the middle of next week, so if you guys are interested, I can try and post some 'before' and 'after' pictures of the car.

Thanks again all.