PDA

View Full Version : Tech question: wtf has my dad done? Lol

sooty
5th March 2012, 05:51 PM
I now get http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd42/diesel110_photo/7d9b28b0.jpg
That's if I can even get windows to load in safe mode originally. Most of the time I can't get it to load at all. No windows disc to use as it came on the comp. running vista (I know)
Any ideas how to fix?

hazrd
5th March 2012, 05:57 PM
the BSOD... every techs worst nightmare

Couple of things i can think of apart from opening it up and removing hardware parts one by one or having to reload everything, would be to use a Vista disc (i have one you can use), and then boot it into recovery mode and see if the "repair" feature works

Also, disconnect everything connected to the PC other than the KB/Mouse/Monitor, and see if it starts <-- Dave beat me to this part lol

Failing that... Let me it for a few hours. I would say id brotek it, but im actually qualified in this field :lol:

hazrd
5th March 2012, 05:59 PM
Or, if its a brand name PC, it might have its own repair feature in it, however i couldnt tell you off the top of my head how it would work because every manufacturer's setup is different :/

dglewis80
5th March 2012, 06:06 PM
This may sound stupid or you may have already done it, but sometimes an updated driver can cause this issue.

Unplug everything possible and see if it starts.

dglewis80
5th March 2012, 06:13 PM
Also if you don't have the disk there might be a recovery partition on the PC itself.

With the PC's I've done this to, as soon as you get to the BIOS screen start hitting F9

poita
5th March 2012, 06:21 PM
Have you tried turning it on and off again?

Ooooooorrrr jump onto another computer and download UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) stick it in and run that.

It has its on mini os as such and will let you run tests on the hardware, just to try and rule one thing out

sooty
5th March 2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks nerds!
Dave was on the money, I'd noticed it was hanging on an avg 2012 driver even when loading in safe mode, so I looked in system32 and drivers and it was AVG that was last updated so I deleted it's drivers and uninstalled it, restarted and she seems all good, thanks guys!

hazrd
5th March 2012, 07:03 PM
Woooooo!! :l33t:

dutchy
6th March 2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks nerds!
Dave was on the money, I'd noticed it was hanging on an avg 2012 driver even when loading in safe mode, so I looked in system32 and drivers and it was AVG that was last updated so I deleted it's drivers and uninstalled it, restarted and she seems all good, thanks guys!

Hey, mine did exactly the same !!! The computer guys also removed avg and put avast on. Problem solved.

Feelinlucky75
6th March 2012, 01:39 PM
yup... avg has gone fail... too many virus writers targeting it now...

hazrd
6th March 2012, 04:16 PM
Quick word of advice... Since all of these free AV programs are being targeted, id suggest this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SYMANTEC-NORTON-360-V-5-3PC-INTERNET-SECURITY-ANTIVIRUS-/290647067638?pt=AU_software&hash=item43abea4bf6

Worth every cent. And its much cheaper on ebay. a 5 PC license from a shop is around $150-$200.

benzino
6th March 2012, 05:05 PM
norton is a bloody virus...

cursed is the day when you try to remove it...

I have sworn by comodo with all my recent computers (and families computers) atm I'm only using mcafee because it came with my Dell
Comodo is an excellent bit of kit considering it's free