PDA

View Full Version : Rims

SxySri
2nd March 2012, 10:43 PM
I want to get my rims changed to black, some friends say powder coat some say paint ?? I don't have a clue :(

Anyone in SA have any suggestions and a place you may have had it done.
Thanks guys.

adam_92
2nd March 2012, 10:58 PM
Paint will give you a better finish powdercoat will last longer and dries harder. Paint also allows you to have something different. Like if you want some metallic through it etc

gmonkey
2nd March 2012, 11:24 PM
id go powdercoat.. its stonger and wont chip or peel as easy as paint will.

you can also get metalic finishes and gloss coats now days.

alot of people complain about powdercoating making the metal weaker as its heated to around 200 degress for the paint to set. i have yet to see any case of this, most 4wds get their wheels powdercoated and if a rockcrawler can still not bend a rim im sure day to day road driving will be fine.

glider
2nd March 2012, 11:54 PM
Powdercoating flakes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Coz apparently sigs are all the rage at the moment

adam_92
2nd March 2012, 11:57 PM
Not if you get them prepped properly. Reccomend getting them acid dipped and sand/bead blasted to help the powdercoat stick.

adam_92
2nd March 2012, 11:59 PM
Or sell your Rims and buy some black ones. I dunno if black will go with the theme of your car though. Might look out of place. However some fluro orange team dynamics will go perfect!!!!!! Have a look on demon tweeks website

Silver Surfer
3rd March 2012, 12:13 AM
The people love black rims Cant see the attraction

gmonkey
3rd March 2012, 12:27 AM
The people love black rims Cant see the attraction

+1 always agreed with this.. black rims look vomit/pointless

poita
3rd March 2012, 12:28 AM
Meh they suit my car perfectly :p

gmonkey
3rd March 2012, 12:29 AM
i was about to say i think they suit two colours...

orange cars and green cars (e.g. focus RS green)

xplosv57
3rd March 2012, 01:12 AM
Get the wheel vinyl wrapped, costs less than painting/powdercoating and can remove the wrap if you want to go back to stock colour

PS88
3rd March 2012, 01:17 AM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2884/orangead.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/263/orangead.jpg/)

Orange stripes
Orange Rims

Silver Surfer
3rd March 2012, 09:55 AM
PS88 Orange +1

PS88
3rd March 2012, 10:34 AM
:poop:

CNBLU
3rd March 2012, 12:14 PM
+1 always agreed with this.. black rims look vomit/pointless

Thats about the extent of your opinion on everything

Vectracious
3rd March 2012, 01:38 PM
How about we keep to the topic - which is not whether we like black rims or not.

Sent from the MAGI.

BEK-46P
3rd March 2012, 01:57 PM
If you decide on paint, make sure they do a good job. There are areas on my rims where the paint is so thin, you can see through to the original finish. In other areas, the paint is peeling.

Looking back, I wish I got them powder-coated, as the results are usually better, IMO.

In either case, be prepared for fast and dirty wheels, unless you have low-dust brakes.

As for the people NOT recommending black rims (they will be spoilt/vomit/shit, etc), the old cliche that "once you have black, you never go back" is very applicable to wheels. Black rims are the epitome of toughness, irrespective of what colour your car is. When I look back at photos of my pre-blackened wheels, I laugh and think "weak, weak, weak" :prrr: I am already shopping for black forge rims for my 370Z... and I haven't even bough the car yet :yesnod:

nick_sixx
3rd March 2012, 05:14 PM
Black wheels are easiest to keep clean too :)

adam_92
3rd March 2012, 05:16 PM
Black wheels are easiest to keep clean too :)

Black wheels are far from easy to keep clean. They show every spec of dust and dirt. That's like saying a black car is the easiest to keep clean. What are you smoking man??

Shay
3rd March 2012, 05:40 PM
i was about to say i think they suit two colours...

orange cars and green cars (e.g. focus RS green)

look awesome with white too, i love stormtrooper spec!

Just get them painted. A good quality paint will last just as long as powdercoating, and will be cheaper.

PS88
3rd March 2012, 06:18 PM
If you decide on paint, make sure they do a good job. There are areas on my rims where the paint is so thin, you can see through to the original finish. In other areas, the paint is peeling.

Looking back, I wish I got them powder-coated, as the results are usually better, IMO.

In either case, be prepared for fast and dirty wheels, unless you have low-dust brakes.

As for the people NOT recommending black rims (they will be spoilt/vomit/shit, etc), the old cliche that "once you have black, you never go back" is very applicable to wheels. Black rims are the epitome of toughness, irrespective of what colour your car is. When I look back at photos of my pre-blackened wheels, I laugh and think "weak, weak, weak" :prrr: I am already shopping for black forge rims for my 370Z... and I haven't even bough the car yet :yesnod:

wow u bought 370z nice, im heading toward 370z (white) end of this year ... black rims/black roof ... gg

hazrd
3rd March 2012, 06:50 PM
look awesome with white too, i love stormtrooper spec!

Just get them painted. A good quality paint will last just as long as powdercoating, and will be cheaper.

This
My wheels are painted, have been for a year now, and they only have a few minor stone chips on them which you cant even notice.

daves_cally
3rd March 2012, 11:04 PM
just painted my rims the other day, came out nicely! If you do thorough prep work there's no reason you can't have a nice lasting finish :)

nick_sixx
4th March 2012, 12:10 AM
just painted my rims the other day, came out nicely! If you do thorough prep work there's no reason you can't have a nice lasting finish :)

This. Mine came as a gunmetal color with polished face which I hated. I would recommend buying a heat gun so you can really get the etch primer to stick to the sanded surface.

SxySri
6th March 2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys for the help :)