PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drives.. WD Green drive vs SSD for reliabilty?

JohnBu
2nd March 2012, 03:37 PM
We have an old PC at work which really is used for nothing other than to run a shared folder (mapped drive) and scanner server.

There's only about 10gigs of data which used to store documents and outlook pst files.

I'm planning on replacing the PC with a NAS- NETGEAR RND2000 ReadyNAS Duo. (I'll use my PC has the scanner server)

Now for the HDD, should I run say 2 x WD Green drive (1TB) or 2 x Intel 40GB SSD (40G) in a Raid1 config?

Space isn't an issue, we're not going to fill up more than 20gig anytime in the next 5 years.

The #1 priority is reliability.

Let me know if anyone has any issues about using the NETGEAR RND2000 ReadyNAS Duo for my purpose.

Ice
2nd March 2012, 04:00 PM
if your no1 priority is reliability ide probably stick to the Green drive. While I have a SSD and cant fault it they havent been around long enough on a large scale basis to be proven to be reliable, get me ? Itll be alot quicker but stick with what tried and tested and also cheaper :)

what about raid 5 ? one step up for Raid 1. data is written across a minimum of 3 drives. read will be very quick.

Pete

JohnBu
2nd March 2012, 04:53 PM
Can't really do Raid5, NAS only has space for 2 drives..

But speed isn't a concern, as it will limited to the network anyway..

But after more research, SSDs are not supported by the NETGEAR RND2000..

So looks like the Green drives it is then!

Thanks Pete.

Ice
2nd March 2012, 11:06 PM
Can't really do Raid5, NAS only has space for 2 drives..

But speed isn't a concern, as it will limited to the network anyway..

But after more research, SSDs are not supported by the NETGEAR RND2000..

So looks like the Green drives it is then!

Thanks Pete.

well good luck :) SSHD's are still in their infancy i think but it wont be long before they are mainstay ide say.

guy 27
3rd March 2012, 12:03 AM
I had my 1tb wd green die in under 6 months. After some reading it seemed to be common but not major. Still enough for me to not buy one again though.

JohnBu
3rd March 2012, 12:15 AM
Yeah I think it's one of those things with HDDs... Could die early or last forever.

Fortunately, the only PC parts I had die was a power supply... Everything else was working perfectly when I upgraded.

The WD greens seem quite reliable overall... All brands seem to have duds..Even toyotas break down! Haha

It could be the heat or a knock at the wrong time that shortened its life.

Well, the NAS has raid, so 1 dies, then no biggie, just hope the 2nd doesn't die at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk