PDA

View Full Version : Infringment penalties

Devo
19th February 2012, 07:25 PM
Has anyone been a P-Plater and caught driving a turbo or V8?
How about done for an illegal mod?

What have ya copped for it??

poita
19th February 2012, 07:28 PM
Quick googling

Breach these rules, and face anything from a $119 fine up to 3 points
& $1000+ fine

Devo
19th February 2012, 07:30 PM
yeah i was always wondering... always see some p platers driving cars and think thats not right?

poita
19th February 2012, 07:32 PM
It depends though, they may of gotten there P plates before the rules came into place.

So there licence falls under the old laws, not the new ones ;)

*edit* July 1 2007 is when the new laws came into place.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/GetYourPs/RestrictionsOnPs/Pplatedriversandprobationaryprohibitedvehicles.htm

glider
19th February 2012, 08:37 PM
I think you lose your licence and get it back you're on green plates, but not sure the vehicle restriction applies, coz I've seen green plates on restricted cars (and the drivers weren't under 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Coz apparently sigs are all the rage at the moment

benzino
19th February 2012, 08:45 PM
the exemption isn't too hard to get

faneca
19th February 2012, 08:59 PM
the exemption isn't too hard to get

Ie Bernard tomic

poita
19th February 2012, 09:10 PM
Ie Bernard tomic

he had a different permit, his was an endorsement exemption

was only allowed to drive it to and from games/practice/appearances

his exemption didnt include being a tool though, which is kinda unlucky for him, he could of used it!

benzino
19th February 2012, 09:16 PM
I knew a guy that got an exemption for a twin turbo 1 series bmw (135i?)
he just got a letter from work saying it was primary transport and then paid his $26 for the exemption letter...

poita
19th February 2012, 09:21 PM
I knew a guy that got an exemption for a twin turbo 1 series bmw (135i?)
he just got a letter from work saying it was primary transport and then paid his $26 for the exemption letter...

Different rules for different states.

Not as easy in QLD as that. Although they have recently changed them

gmonkey
19th February 2012, 09:29 PM
Wa had none of these laws and ever 18yr old had r33 or vs v8s

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

sooty
19th February 2012, 09:34 PM
Girl from wrx club on her green p's got a $244 and 3 point fine for driving her 05 STi as an inelligible car.

ChrisMaz
19th February 2012, 09:37 PM
Wa had none of these laws and ever 18yr old had r33 or vs v8s

Really no point for the rules. Every P Plate death is from some idiot driving a V6 commodore anyway.

adam_92
19th February 2012, 09:42 PM
In SA if you got your ps before September 2010 your still allowed to drive turbo/v8. The law was only brought in then so before your ok. After September 2010 your not allowed.

Vectracious
19th February 2012, 09:45 PM
Really no point for the rules. Every P Plate death is from some idiot driving a V6 commodore anyway.

+1

Too easy to get a licence these days - and the whole you must do 120 hours on your L's is bullcrap as well - what they need is to get everyone on a skidpan and teach them car control and how wrong an attempted drift in your VT Commodore can go.

benzino
19th February 2012, 09:54 PM
I just laughed that in nsw the law originally stopped people from driving turbo diesels and things like smart fortwo's and all the jap kei cars
but a p-plater could get an xr6 falcon or s commodore or if they had the money s2000's and lotus'

bloody ridiculous seeing as though it all came about from that r34 gtr crash (and that was his dad's anyway so he could've just applied for exemption because it was the family car and the crash would have happened anyway!)

any car is a potential weapon and usually the performance cars are the safest as they actually have working brakes and suspension and a good number of airbags (i wouldn't put a vl turbo in that category though...)

I think the power-to-weight system is much better than NSW's blanket ban.
BUT saying all this, the best cars to learn in are low-powered shitboxes.

Maybe instead of turbo/v8/sc bans, it should be RWD bans. RWD turns young males (and females) into hoons because ripping skids is bloody fun.
And as Chris said above, the idiots you see on the roads are always driving 6 cyl falcodores that have all the poise of wet cheese...

just my 2c

metry
19th February 2012, 11:15 PM
i speak from experience having written off a commodore. no im not your average d*ck head p plater but i simply lost control in the wet and my instinct led me to panic and slap on the brakes. Im going to be honest here. i can control my car really well but what we are not taught is how to control the car when your not ready for it. what im trying to say is i could go round drifting corners ripping burnouts etc and i would be fine but when i was caught off guard i went into the gutter because i had never experienced it before. I wasnt even trying to drift the car. just the road was really wet and the road had a bit of camber on it. the cars arent the problem. its the way we are taught to drive. its simply do your hours and youl be fine. I couldn't agree more that we need sessions on a skid pan

gmonkey
19th February 2012, 11:21 PM
ur bald tyres from all those skids and burnouts played no part :p

id say there'd be less single car accidents if all p platers drove diahatsu 3cyl charades... just id imagine there would be a higher 2+ car incident rate due to how slow these cars are, ppl taking chances in cars with no power etc

guy 27
19th February 2012, 11:30 PM
ur bald tyres from all those skids and burnouts played no part :p

id say there'd be less single car accidents if all p platers drove diahatsu 3cyl charades... just id imagine there would be a higher 2+ car incident rate due to how slow these cars are, ppl taking chances in cars with no power etc

might be less single car accidents but the fatality rates would be higher.

gmonkey
19th February 2012, 11:51 PM
Exactly what I was meaning :)

benzino
20th February 2012, 11:33 AM
there should also be a ban on chinese tyres...
they are so dangerous!

I got some a couple of years ago for rego and they were like driving on blocks of soap.
Brand new they had less grip than the old bald michelins that they replaced!

gmonkey
20th February 2012, 12:21 PM
once again depends on how your driving and what brand.. i had a set of 'sunew' tyres and had much better grip on them than i did with achilles or even dunlops

imemi
20th February 2012, 01:46 PM
I have friends who swear that a skid pan still won't prepare you for the road. I personally wouldnt know. I drive like a grandma but one of them in particular has written off a car before due to not reacting correctly when on the road. He swears the fact that other cars etc were there it distracted him and his training flew out the window.

When I lived in the middle of Queensland I remember a particularly cocky family friend being taught a lesson by his dad on how to control an unexpected slide/drift...wasnt the best way to do it but his dad took him out bush on a big wide gravel road told his son to push it and then...handbrake. I think...potentially a driving course, controlled over a series of days/conditions/places and some driver ed/testing. The hazard perception test here in NSW is a start but doesn't go nearly far enough.

Neeko
20th February 2012, 01:46 PM
I just laughed that in nsw the law originally stopped people from driving turbo diesels and things like smart fortwo's and all the jap kei cars
but a p-plater could get an xr6 falcon or s commodore or if they had the money s2000's and lotus'

bloody ridiculous seeing as though it all came about from that r34 gtr crash (and that was his dad's anyway so he could've just applied for exemption because it was the family car and the crash would have happened anyway!)

any car is a potential weapon and usually the performance cars are the safest as they actually have working brakes and suspension and a good number of airbags (i wouldn't put a vl turbo in that category though...)

I think the power-to-weight system is much better than NSW's blanket ban.
BUT saying all this, the best cars to learn in are low-powered shitboxes.

Maybe instead of turbo/v8/sc bans, it should be RWD bans. RWD turns young males (and females) into hoons because ripping skids is bloody fun.
And as Chris said above, the idiots you see on the roads are always driving 6 cyl falcodores that have all the poise of wet cheese...

just my 2c

Same as the new Cruze SRi 1.4l Turbo, perfect P plater car but noooo Anna Bligh doesn't think so >:/

poita
20th February 2012, 01:56 PM
they've changed the laws neeko, its now based on power to weight, kw/t

just cant find the link for it right now

poita
20th February 2012, 01:58 PM
here it is

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Car-licence/Provisional-licence/Restrictions/High-powered-performance-vehicles.aspx

Certificate of exemption for driving a high-powered (performance) vehicle

If you hold a P1 or P2 licence you may be eligible for a certificate of exemption to enable you to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle. Please read the Certificate of Exemption high-powered vehicle Information Sheet (form S4478) for further information.

You are eligible to apply for an exemption to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle if you can prove that one of the following circumstances applies to you.

1. Moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicle

You may apply for a certificate of exemption if the vehicle you wish to drive meets all of the following:

has a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered
has a power-to-weight ratio of not more than 125kW/t
does not have any other features of a high-powered vehicle as outlined above.
The power-to-weight ratio means the ratio (expressed in kilowatts per tonne) calculated by dividing the car’s maximum engine power in kilowatts by the kerb weight and multiplying the product of the division by 1000. For example, the power to weight ratio of a vehicle that has a maximum engine power of 195kW and a kerb weight of 1667kg would be calculated as follows: (195÷1667) × 1000 = 117kW/tonne

Check if your vehicle is a moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicle*.

Neeko
20th February 2012, 02:02 PM
they've changed the laws neeko, its now based on power to weight, kw/t

just cant find the link for it right now

ahhhhhh

moderately powered turbo vehicle..... hmmm.... a WRX after owning it for over a year is quite moderate :D

poita
20th February 2012, 02:03 PM
they have a menu system to check if you need an exemption or not.

apparently a calibra turbo needs one, a stock one wouldn't be more than 125kw/t ???

Bloodnok
20th February 2012, 02:14 PM
they have a menu system to check if you need an exemption or not.

apparently a calibra turbo needs one, a stock one wouldn't be more than 125kw/t ???

107kw/t when stock according to some specs that google found.

However, a QLD based P plater with one would still need to apply for a "moderately powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicle" - it's just that they wouldn't need to prove hardship or any of the other things that would be required if it was over 125kw/t...

gmonkey
20th February 2012, 02:15 PM
still doesnt stop a p plater strapping on a big turbo :p

Vectracious
20th February 2012, 02:51 PM
I have friends who swear that a skid pan still won't prepare you for the road. .

Still would be a he'll of a lot better has the current testing where they don't even ask you to do an emergency stop, bit if you can parallel park and know where the headlight switch is, you're good to go. :rolleyes:

Sent from the MAGI.

Vectracious
20th February 2012, 02:51 PM
Damn crapatalk.

JohnBu
20th February 2012, 02:53 PM
Trying to reiterate your point Pete? haha

PaulyJ
20th February 2012, 03:02 PM
Seriously it's way too f**ken easy to get a licence these days... and they wonder why so many young drivers are involved in accidents.
All comes down to driver training.
As Pete mentioned, it's more important for them to know you can do a 3-point turn and reverse parallel park within a bee's dick of the gutter.
How about emergency brake and swerve... wet weather slalom for car control...
Nothing
Give these young kids a set of keys and they think they're playing real life Daytona
When my niece/nephew and future kids get their licence, I will personally pay for them to do an advanced driving course.

ChrisMaz
20th February 2012, 03:02 PM
I have friends who swear that a skid pan still won't prepare you for the road.

I disagree. I learnt more about car control, and how to react when the car behaves in unexpected ways on a skidpan/track in one day, than I did in 2 years of driving on roads.
If you can control a car at its limit, loose it and then re-gain control. You have a much better chance of dealing with a lower speed incident on public roads.

This is what it all comes down to, driver training. Don't blame the car, blame the lack of experience.

J
20th February 2012, 05:25 PM
And despite what almost all of us have said, we still have articles like these floating around...
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/defensive-driving-risks-steering-the-young-into-danger-20120216-1tbyb.html

benzino
20th February 2012, 05:46 PM
f*ck I hate the media

"don't teach them how to drive safely because maybe they will"

gmonkey
20th February 2012, 05:49 PM
mark scaife sounds like a tard...

PaulyJ
20th February 2012, 05:55 PM
He's going off experience
If they only looked at research on the amount of accidents/deaths per capita on coutries with more extensive driver training...
Scaife might sound like a tard but he has a very valid point which has come from practicle experience, unlike that pencil pusher only looking at figures.

gmonkey
20th February 2012, 06:22 PM
i meant more the comparission to the aviation industry ahahaha

BradstaMS
20th February 2012, 09:17 PM
The P Plate laws have changed again anyway. NSW P platers can now drive turbo cars aslong as theyre 2000cc or under as far as i can see on the list.
I bunch of P platers in old Polo GTI's have cropped up out of nowhere.

Neeko
21st February 2012, 11:53 AM
Ever since that ACA episode aired about hoons and modified cars we've been getting a lot more attention lately. Nick in his EVO9 just lost his license because he accumulated that many points just from stupid defects. A cop decided his tyres weren't legal anymore. Tried to tell the cop that they are but of course it's whatever the officer thinks. They clearly weren't on the wear indicator yet.

I've put my CAI cover back in my engine bay and I'm even going to remove the perrin sticker on my CAI just to hide any suspicion that anything is modified. Thought about painting my swaybars black too.

for those who missed it... it'll make you angry

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/rev-head-roundup/xlt6hse

PaulyJ
21st February 2012, 12:30 PM
That episode p1ssed me right off
Seriously they can go get f**ked

poita
21st February 2012, 01:57 PM
I scream at that every time I see it!

At least if your going to do a beat up on something do some research about car models!!

Neeko
21st February 2012, 02:10 PM
I scream at that every time I see it!

At least if your going to do a beat up on something do some research about car models!!

The blue evo (or impreza according to the cops) in that episode has organized numerous events to raise funds for cancer....
No you have a a modified car you criminal, you give people cancer.

metry
21st February 2012, 03:29 PM
on the silver falcon. see the thing hanging out of your bonnet, its dangerous to pedestrians. If i got hit by that falcon the paper air filter would be the least of my worries

Neeko
21st February 2012, 03:34 PM
on the silver falcon. see the thing hanging out of your bonnet, its dangerous to pedestrians. If i got hit by that falcon the paper air filter would be the least of my worries

how bout old commodores and falcons that have bullbars to take out armies? they're legal.

oh government

metry
21st February 2012, 03:37 PM
how bout old commodores and falcons that have bullbars to take out armies? they're legal.

oh government

exactly my point. IMO its all just a way to raise revenue. they take a small minority of trouble makers and hoons and say it represents a larger population. the only car in that video i had a problem with was the one that had the door strapped shut.

Feelinlucky75
21st February 2012, 05:24 PM
The bit that got me was the last statement by the reporter. "If you have any issues with 'car enthusiasts' in your are please contact us."
Enthusiasts are not the issue, 90% of enthusiasts I know are good people, wont do anything stupid/unsafe on the road with the public any where near,
and keep their mods safe/legal... Its the hoons that are the issue.. Morons in v6 commos doing burnouts at every light, trying to race each other...
These people are the issue... Its the closed minded media and government that throw us enthusiasts in with the hoons...

Hoss
21st February 2012, 06:12 PM
I, too, get angry about ACA's implied statement that if you are a car enthusiast, you're a hoon. ACA have a record of sensational reporting. It's a show highlighting very poor journalism. Also, regarding the issue of the air filter possibly doing more harm to a pedo in an accident, what about the lights and other fittings on the roof of the police cars. The police could hit a pedo and the pedo could hit the car window (presumably not being stopped by an air filter protruding through the bonnet) and be further injured by the roof lights as they go over the top of the car.

gmonkey
21st February 2012, 06:15 PM
i read that completly wrong.. not till half way through did i realise that u didnt really mean 'pedo' haha

Hoss
21st February 2012, 06:22 PM
i read that completly wrong.. not till half way through did i realise that u didnt really mean 'pedo' haha

You know I thought someone may make the wrong interpretation, but I couldn't be bothered to type "pedestrian" each time. At least you got it in the end, lol.

Devo
21st February 2012, 08:42 PM
Was wondering how the pedophile got into this conversation. Thanks for clearing that up. :P

dutchy
21st February 2012, 09:07 PM
Official lessons from a driving school the day you turn 18 and only when you pass your test, are you allowed to drive. Also mandatory emergency lessons/course. ie. what to do when you start sliding etc...... That's how it's done where I grew up and I believe this is the best way of teaching a person how to drive.

imemi
22nd February 2012, 11:23 AM
That'd be great if driving schools didnt charge u an arm and a leg. Although the dutch have a track record for good driving so it probably works. All I know is that if u learn to drive in Sydney some of the instructors teach like idiots (I.e. The reason I never took another lesson from mine was this "you change gears at 20ks 40ks and 60ks" my response was "dont you change gears by revs?" "no you change at 20, 40 and 60." I got taken home and never got in his car again.) when ur being taught by an idiot ur bound to do things wrong.

chrissn89
24th February 2012, 09:48 PM
re; the ACA video, the Varex muffler comment really annoyed me as most high-end sports cars are coming out now with Bi-modal exhaust systems. Like the 4 yellow 6.2L V8 HSV GTS the police drive around in up here.

Lescandale
24th February 2012, 10:57 PM
That'd be great if driving schools didnt charge u an arm and a leg. Although the dutch have a track record for good driving so it probably works. All I know is that if u learn to drive in Sydney some of the instructors teach like idiots (I.e. The reason I never took another lesson from mine was this "you change gears at 20ks 40ks and 60ks" my response was "dont you change gears by revs?" "no you change at 20, 40 and 60." I got taken home and never got in his car again.) when ur being taught by an idiot ur bound to do things wrong.

I found going to a driving school, or getting lessons, whatever you want to call it was the worst thing for me. I've grown up around rev heads and I've done karts since I was about 6, changing gears on revs and etc.
Then I step, or sit into a driving instructors car and he tells me to change gears at a specific speed, steer to some "push pull" method that's completely impractical and stupid "tricks" that only work with the instructors car as to how to park.
I failed my driving test the first time around too because my instructor said it was only "courtesy" to indicate leaving multi-laned roundabouts when going straight. I think the best thing for a new driver is to to get hands on learning the limits of and everything about your car with a defensive driving course, there's a difference between avoiding an accident and being a skilled and safe driver capable of getting yourself out of a sticky situation.

imemi
26th February 2012, 03:35 PM
I found going to a driving school, or getting lessons, whatever you want to call it was the worst thing for me. I've grown up around rev heads and I've done karts since I was about 6, changing gears on revs and etc.
Then I step, or sit into a driving instructors car and he tells me to change gears at a specific speed, steer to some "push pull" method that's completely impractical and stupid "tricks" that only work with the instructors car as to how to park.
I failed my driving test the first time around too because my instructor said it was only "courtesy" to indicate leaving multi-laned roundabouts when going straight. I think the best thing for a new driver is to to get hands on learning the limits of and everything about your car with a defensive driving course, there's a difference between avoiding an accident and being a skilled and safe driver capable of getting yourself out of a sticky situation.

Agree, hands on experience, bit of car knowledge and for me a defensive driving course because I need it...I think there should be a 'cars for beginners' course. Something that teaches u the basics of what youre driving...and why it works the way it does...would go a long way to developing some respect for the machine and how u drive it...