PDA

View Full Version : Nissan to join V8 Supercars in 2013

btm
9th February 2012, 08:53 AM
Thoughts?

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/nissan-to-join-v8-supercars-20120208-1req7.html

The days of Holden and Ford locking horns for bragging rights in V8 supercar racing are numbered with the category to announce today that Nissan will join the battle from next year.

The Japanese brand will team up with the four-car Kelly Racing outfit that currently races Holden Commodores, but without any factory support from Holden.

Nissan will be the first manufacturer to break the duopoly held by Holden and Ford since the sport adopted a strict requirement in 1993 for V8-powered, rear-wheel-driven cars designed to suit the Commodore and its Ford large-car equivalent, the Falcon.

Advertisement: Story continues below There is irony in the fact that Nissan will be the first manufacturer to break the local stranglehold as it is the very manufacturer that the category sought to exclude when it drew up new regulations in 1993 to end the dominance of the four-wheel-drive, turbocharged Nissan GT-R.

It’s believed that Kelly Racing chairman John Crennan – the man who masterminded the Holden Racing Team’s phenomenal success streak in the late 1990s and early 2000s – brokered the deal after speaking with several manufacturers.

Nissan and Chrysler have been linked to V8 Supercars since the category’s chairman Tony Cochrane announced last year he would welcome a third brand to the series. The American Chrysler brand has been linked to Garry Rogers Motorsport, another Holden team.

However, Crennan told Auto Action magazine last August that Kelly Racing wanted to stay loyal to Holden and outlined a plan for his squad to replace the Holden Racing Team as Holden’s factory-backed squad.

“There seems to be an enormous amount of keenness on behalf of V8 Supercars and certain powerbrokers pushing the barrow that we should be getting involved with another manufacturer, because we have superb facilities and no manufacturer deal,” he said at the time.

“I’m tired of these people putting out this line – it would disturb our goal of replacing HRT as the main Holden team at the end of their contract [at the end of the 2012 season].”

A question mark remains over what car Nissan will use for its V8 Supercar entry. It has outlined plans to replace its Maxima – a car that straddles the medium and large passenger car categories – with the similarly sized Altima in 2013.

Although the Altima is not currently available with a V8 engine, it is thought to be the frontrunner for Nissan’s Kelly Racing entry.

gmonkey
9th February 2012, 09:11 AM
Can only make a boring motorsport better.. Suprise Toyota dont join in with a v8 version of aurion or lexus isf.

The return of the Nissan q45? Lol horrible car

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

poita
9th February 2012, 09:27 AM
I reckon they will be branded as Infinity to coincide with the re-launch of Infinity in Australia as it's own brand, similar to what Opel are doing.

So my thoughts are a G37 or the likes

Feelinlucky75
9th February 2012, 09:58 AM
opel should do a v8 insignia!!!!!

gmonkey
9th February 2012, 10:06 AM
Think bmw should enter with a m3

poita
9th February 2012, 10:07 AM
has to be a 4 door production car, arent M3's only 2 door?

gmonkey
9th February 2012, 10:09 AM
Also come im 4 and convertable

hazrd
9th February 2012, 10:19 AM
BMW wouldnt waste their time with V8SC because they have better things they could enter in i would assume

gmonkey
9th February 2012, 10:23 AM
Yeh but imagine the race with these cars
Holden commodore
Ford falcon
Bmw m3
Infinity g37
Lexus isf
Merc c63amg
Maserati quatroporte
Etc etc

Imagine how much more interesting itd be

hazrd
9th February 2012, 10:31 AM
not really

BMW wouldnt comply with the rules that V8SC lay out when it comes to the engine that is run plus the wheelbase is different aswell
Lexus is too short of a wheelbase
Merc wouldnt change their AMG to suit the rules either (plus they pump enough cash into F1 as it is)
Maserati would just be stupid and unfair (way too much power, if their engine would even be allowed in the series)

I agree it would be pretty interesting but the rules are too strict to allow these cars into the competition

gmonkey
9th February 2012, 10:44 AM
atleast would involve real supercars :p

hazrd
9th February 2012, 10:51 AM
:lol:
Also agree... but think of the name the sport has... "V8 Supercars Australia"

I'd love to see the other cars join in, but man, its gunna p!ss some people off even just with Nissan! lol

gmonkey
9th February 2012, 10:53 AM
well the falcon what be Australian much longer anyway :p

Shay
10th February 2012, 10:20 AM
Merc and Audi would be the most likely to join IMO given the gap between dtm and v8scc is getting smaller...

Would love to see some rules changes to make the engineers develop new ways of doing things rather than relying on stone age tech. I mean seriously pushrods engines?!?!?

Need more development on the track so that we get better cats on the road. Imagine how cool it would be If they were allowed to run 2.4L turbo'd V8s at 10,000 rpm!

gmonkey
10th February 2012, 10:25 AM
arent most v8 audis awd but??

CNBLU
10th February 2012, 10:30 AM
Imagine all the bogans at bathurst mixing it with all the executives rocking up in their Maseratti's & C63's :lol:

Vectracious
11th February 2012, 01:03 AM
Yeh but imagine the race with these cars
Holden commodore
Ford falcon
Bmw m3
Infinity g37
Lexus isf
Merc c63amg
Maserati quatroporte
Etc etc

Imagine how much more interesting itd be

Agree - and it used to be like that in the old days with the Australian Touring Car Championship. But the bogans up on the mountain chucked their toys out of the cot when their Dunnydore's and Falcon's couldn't win.

I'm going to sound old here, but I remember Bathurst in the Group A era - and it has never been as good since they got rid of it. I remember the 1992 race - Jim Richards calling all the bogans a pack of arseholes will always be a vivid memory for me - because it was the end of a great era in Australian Motorsport. IMHO - when it just became about Commodores and Falcons, it just wasn't as interesting anymore.

poita
11th February 2012, 01:07 AM
If it became more like the BTCC or the DTM series it would be more watchable.

As much as I'm a bogan at heart, it's getting a bit plain

nigelh
11th February 2012, 10:08 PM
I think there going to a controlled chassis and some sort of Parity system For the v8 engines so I guess any manufacture could enter and put the 4 door body they want to promote in the series.
I think there is even talk of a controlled engine being developed.

What they have done is copy the NASCAR formula which isn't a bad thing I think.

Vectracious
12th February 2012, 06:24 AM
I think there going to a controlled chassis and some sort of Parity system For the v8 engines so I guess any manufacture could enter and put the 4 door body they want to promote in the series.
I think there is even talk of a controlled engine being developed.

What they have done is copy the NASCAR formula which isn't a bad thing I think.

So essentially the only difference in the cars is the shape of the body. Each to their own, but I find this kind of control over racing extremely boring, plus it makes it harder to support a particular make because the cars are basically all the same.

gmonkey
12th February 2012, 08:59 AM
u end up supporting a driver :p like nascar

xplosv57
12th February 2012, 09:16 AM
Not sure what 'viable' ideas other people have, but i think what V8 Supercars are doing for next year and the future is fantastic!!

Being the 3rd highest money earning sport in Australia, the series needed a revamp to make it more appealing to new fans and possibly international interest.

The money that will come in from Nissan, and possibly other manufacturers coming into the sport means there is a future for the sport!

Means Holden and Ford can distribute their funds more evenly to less teams, and Nissan can develop their cars well enough that more teams would be keen to use their car for the 2014 season.

I agree, it's getting a bit stale with just Holden and Ford, but logically whoever joins has to have a similar rwd/4 door/v8 platform, otherwise it will be the early 90's again when the GT-R's walked all over everyone else.

Also as much as i'm a massive fan of the old Group A touring car days, it just wouldn't work in today's busy schedule. Good example is an engine change. On a V8 race ute (based off a road car), it takes up to 8 hours for a race team to do an engine change, in a V8 supercar, the whole driveline can be swapped over in less than 2 hours. That means if something happens race 1, the car is back for race 2.

Then there's the whole safety aspect, you could make a road based car just as safe as a V8 supercar, but then trying to make that car do comparative lap times, just couldn't be done.

All the people saying it's boring, no one's forcing you to watch, i still reckon the racing is good, the championships are close faught and judging by the crowd at the test day at Sandwon yesterday, V8 Supercar is still getting support from hundereds of thousands of fans!!

Then in the coming years when there's more International exposure, who knows where it could lead!!

Vectracious
12th February 2012, 09:58 AM
I'm all for Nissan entering - the more the merrier - but it's not exactly a revolution is it?

OK, Group A may not be viable, but the approach they are taking with the BTCC is more interesting. Brenton is right, you'll just end up supporting the driver and to hell with what badge is stickered on the front of the car.

And you're not going to get any new fans when the bogan element is still there. Kelly racing has already received hate mail about it http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/v8-supercars/v8-supercars-team-kelly-racing-bombarded-by-letters-from-angry-holden-fans-after-switch-to-nissan/story-fn2ms9um-1226267412725 - I mean seriously - what a pack of aresholes.

kabel
12th February 2012, 07:00 PM
Not sure what 'viable' ideas other people have, but i think what V8 Supercars are doing for next year and the future is fantastic!!

Being the 3rd highest money earning sport in Australia, the series needed a revamp to make it more appealing to new fans and possibly international interest.

The money that will come in from Nissan, and possibly other manufacturers coming into the sport means there is a future for the sport!

Means Holden and Ford can distribute their funds more evenly to less teams, and Nissan can develop their cars well enough that more teams would be keen to use their car for the 2014 season.

I agree, it's getting a bit stale with just Holden and Ford, but logically whoever joins has to have a similar rwd/4 door/v8 platform, otherwise it will be the early 90's again when the GT-R's walked all over everyone else.

Also as much as i'm a massive fan of the old Group A touring car days, it just wouldn't work in today's busy schedule. Good example is an engine change. On a V8 race ute (based off a road car), it takes up to 8 hours for a race team to do an engine change, in a V8 supercar, the whole driveline can be swapped over in less than 2 hours. That means if something happens race 1, the car is back for race 2.

Then there's the whole safety aspect, you could make a road based car just as safe as a V8 supercar, but then trying to make that car do comparative lap times, just couldn't be done.

All the people saying it's boring, no one's forcing you to watch, i still reckon the racing is good, the championships are close faught and judging by the crowd at the test day at Sandwon yesterday, V8 Supercar is still getting support from hundereds of thousands of fans!!

Then in the coming years when there's more International exposure, who knows where it could lead!!
Well put !

doggido
13th February 2012, 10:25 PM
Well it about time!
It needs some excitment, you get bored watching the same cars run round the track all the time.
And yes, I drive a Nissan.

btm
30th October 2012, 12:24 PM
Looks pretty good!

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/nissan-unveils-v8-supercar-20121030-28gln.html

poita
30th October 2012, 12:32 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404368_448125278556996_1535842960_n.jpg

hazrd
30th October 2012, 05:23 PM
I like it

Vectracious
30th October 2012, 06:00 PM
so do I, looks good.

kabel
31st October 2012, 02:39 PM
+1.
Will not be hard to miss it next year !

doggido
4th November 2012, 07:48 PM
All alloy, multi valve, quad cam, what more do you want?

poita
4th November 2012, 07:53 PM
In a interview with Skaife in the last weekish I saw he mentioned there would be another 2 brands by 2014.

So I'm guessing maybe Audi, BMW or even Toyota?

The only other brands I could think of that would consider it

Vectracious
4th November 2012, 07:59 PM
Wasn't there talk of Chrysler being very keen to join?

poita
4th November 2012, 08:14 PM
Doing a bit of a Google on the subject and that was mentioned in around Jan-Feb when Nissan put there hat in the ring.

Nothing more has come of it since then.

xplosv57
4th November 2012, 10:24 PM
Mazda has been linked to DJR if Ford pulls their support from
them.

poita
4th November 2012, 10:32 PM
Mazda has been linked to DJR if Ford pulls their support from
them.

Wow very interesting. Do Mazda even do a V8? (insert ignorance here)

xplosv57
4th November 2012, 11:21 PM
Not a production motor that i know of, but nor did Nissan, they just had that GT500 race motor from Japan.

poita
4th November 2012, 11:33 PM
Yer but Nissan run a V8, well will have one in the 2013 patrol.

They just downsized it from 5.6L

ChrisMaz
5th November 2012, 01:24 AM
Excuse my ignorance, I do love watching the odd V8 race. Just don't know much of the technical side.

But aren't the engine specs so strict that they all essentially output the same power and run the same chassis setup?

CORZZA
5th November 2012, 06:33 AM
Sure is going to bring a new dimention to the V8's

doggido
5th November 2012, 07:36 AM
In a interview with Skaife in the last weekish I saw he mentioned there would be another 2 brands by 2014.

So I'm guessing maybe Audi, BMW or even Toyota?

The only other brands I could think of that would consider it

Mercedes benz is the other brand that has been mentioned of late.

hazrd
5th November 2012, 08:03 AM

Not just mentioned. Definite

poita
5th November 2012, 08:56 AM

Yer that's set in stone.

Team Erebus will be running cars.

doggido
6th November 2012, 08:01 AM
They going to run a race in the states next season, somewhere in Texas I believe.

hazrd
6th November 2012, 08:04 AM
Austin, Texas

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/championship/newsarticle/2013-texas-v8-supercar-date-confirmed/tabid/70/newsid/13000/default.aspx

hazrd
8th November 2012, 08:51 PM
Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y7w-GJv37cU