PDA

View Full Version : Android to Android Video Chat

poita
6th February 2012, 09:29 AM
Have been looking at using Fring for this.

Any other programs I should try look at?

The free'er the better!

Will going from my Galaxy S2 to an Iconia A500

poita
6th February 2012, 07:43 PM
anyone?

Vectracious
6th February 2012, 09:37 PM
the whole video chat thing is a complete debacle on Android's behalf. I have a front facing camera, but I can't use the OS to make video calls to anybody else, I need to download a program and then buy credits to use the video chat feature, even though it is covered on my Telstra plan for the phone.

BTW Pete, I though the Samsung could do video chat natively with the Samsung software.....

poita
6th February 2012, 09:43 PM
Fring just uses you data from what i can tell.

And not too sure Pete, I've wiped most of the factory bloat ware from it

Vectracious
6th February 2012, 10:06 PM
Fring just uses you data from what i can tell.

And not too sure Pete, I've wiped most of the factory bloat ware from it

doesn't the other person need to use Fring as well?

My issue with it all is that mum has a Samsung Flip 3G phone that does video calls fine. There is no software for my HTC that I can use that can use the video call feature on my mums phone or the capability of the Telstra network to handle video calls itself without having to buy eg Skype credits to use Skype on my phone to video call her.

poita
6th February 2012, 10:29 PM
well basically its to talk to I1 before he goes to bed, since that will be my lunch time effectively with the new job

so i will install fring on my phone and my tablet, the tablet of course staying at home. both have front facing cameras that can be used for it

Ice
6th February 2012, 10:44 PM
the whole video chat thing is a complete debacle on Android's behalf. I have a front facing camera, but I can't use the OS to make video calls to anybody else, I need to download a program and then buy credits to use the video chat feature, even though it is covered on my Telstra plan for the phone.

BTW Pete, I though the Samsung could do video chat natively with the Samsung software.....

your saying it will only work android to Android ? and not android to Nokia for eg ?

Vectracious
7th February 2012, 09:40 AM
well basically its to talk to I1 before he goes to bed, since that will be my lunch time effectively with the new job

so i will install fring on my phone and my tablet, the tablet of course staying at home. both have front facing cameras that can be used for it

it's what I want to do as well - except with my parents who live a lot further than my inlaws and don't see the kids that often. For you, Skype would work just as well.

your saying it will only work android to Android ? and not android to Nokia for eg ?

No, it will work, but I have to buy seperate skype/fring credits to make a video call - it's just annoying, especially since the phone comes with a front facing camera anyway.