PDA

View Full Version : TS Astra Sri 2.2 Flashing battery light

woody
3rd February 2012, 06:39 PM
Hi All,

Just had a call from my wife on her way home saying that her battery light is flashing on and off intermittently, i have heard of problems with Astra alternators and wondered if this is a symptom of an alternator problem , had a new battery last year so i know that's all good. haven't had a chance to recheck the connections or voltage yet but any feedback on similar problems and fixes would be appreicated. Also if you have had an alternator replaced how much was it, car is out of warrant.

Cheers

Woody

guy 27
3rd February 2012, 07:07 PM
def check the connections.
the z22se alts are a bit more expensive than the other ones as they are a different amp for the aus delivered models. you can fit a 100amp one in though. ;)

woody
3rd February 2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah just been checking out costs, seems i can get one off ebay - genuine bosh for just under 300 delivered which isn't so bad. But then i need to fit it.. guess i'll get my Haynes Manual out again :D

guy 27
3rd February 2012, 08:42 PM
its not such a bad job. inlet manifold will need to come off though.

woody
4th February 2012, 11:01 AM
OK weird, just went out and checked the car myself, connections are still good, tight and well lubed, with the engine off the battery shows 11.58 volts, with it running 14.24 so i'm ruling out the alternator. Took her for a drive and no flashing lights.... anyone seen this symptom before and if so what was the issue in the end? Maybe she was just having a bad day???

guy 27
4th February 2012, 11:34 AM
Jump onto z22se and check there. I haven't come across that issue here before.

xplosv57
4th February 2012, 11:42 AM
11.58v is a bit low, maybe see if something is staying on in the car that's draining the battery. Might have just been a case of leaving the lights on or something. But a good battery should be over 12v without load.

dutchy
4th February 2012, 05:50 PM
Also check your earth connection to the car.

benzino
5th February 2012, 05:54 PM
try turning the wheels to full lock at idle and see if the light comes on
that way you can rule out the power steering

woody
6th February 2012, 09:12 AM
OK Wife took the car to work this morning, battery light flashed again then she stopped at the lights and the dash lit up and as she tried to turn the power steering went. Gotta guess on the alternator right?

**UPDATE**

Ok so having read around on all forums and been to my wife's work to see the car it's pretty certain this is an alternator issue, battery is on charge so i can get the car home tonight (it's only 12k away) when i took it out and checked the little green light that usually indicates it's good, this time it was clear indicating it was flat and needed charging as it was a new battery last year i'm erring towards alternator, got one on order for delivery this afternoon Holden sell em for $375.00 but they are on backorder and could take weeks to get here, Ebay has a bunch ranging from $275 to $400 but due to my immediate need i'm having to pay over the odds and getting the Bosh no clutch version from Auto One at $490.

Looks like i'm under the car tomorrow - hope it doesn't rain my garage is full of computers so i'll be doing this out on the street!!

woody
6th February 2012, 09:13 AM
Also check your earth connection to the car.

Earths all good

JohnBu
6th February 2012, 10:30 AM
Have you checked the battery?

As Chief BrOtEk Engineer said 11.58 volts is very low... the battery could be dying, placing a big load on the alternator.

How old is the battery? Easy enough to check if the battery is faulty or not.

woody
7th February 2012, 01:34 PM
Battery is less than 8 months old, that reading was taken just after the missus drove it home and the light came on so expected it to be a bit low, replaced the alternator today took just over 2 hours. Charging the battery now, will advise if any further issues but currently JOB DONE!!