PDA

View Full Version : Cruze Outsells Commodore!

poita
3rd February 2012, 11:46 AM
Maybe a sign of the times with the way fuel prices are going

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/cruze-overtakes-commodore-20120202-1qtzp.html

Local hero no longer top dog in the Holden showroom as Australian-made cars continue their sales slide.

For the first time in its 34-year history the Holden Commodore has been outsold by a car in its own stable.

Having last year lost its crown as Australia’s favourite car for the past 15 years to the Mazda3, the Commodore suffered a further ignominy in January by being outsold by its smaller Cruze sibling.

Preliminary figures show the overall sales leadership for the month went to the Mazda3, which roared into the early lead with more than 4000 sales, putting it comfortably ahead of the Toyota Corolla (3300 sales) which led the market for the last four months of last year. The Cruze was a distant third with 2400 sales, ahead of the Commodore (2200).

Advertisement: Story continues below
Meanwhile, the Ford Falcon recorded its weakest sales month in more than 50 years.

Ford sold an estimated 950 Falcons in January – the first time on record the nameplate has dipped into a three-digit tally.

Ford Australia spokeswoman Sinead Phipps said Falcon sales were dented by hail damage to cars waiting to be trucked from the Broadmeadows factory to dealers.

“There was a significant number of Falcons and Territorys that couldn’t be shipped because of hail damage during a storm [at Broadmeadows] on Christmas Day,” Phipps told Drive.

Toyota was the biggest-selling brand in January with 14,000 sales, ahead of Holden (9000), which only narrowly beat Mazda (8500).

Korean car maker Hyundai has started the year ahead of Ford (6500 versus 5800 sales).

The preliminary figures come as Holden last night announced up to 200 job cuts and a restructure of its Adelaide production line, a little more than a week after Toyota Australia declared it would slash 350 jobs from its Melbourne factory workforce.

Managing director Mike Devereux said the jobs of Holden’s 2400 full-time factory workers were secure. However, about 100 casual jobs are in doubt and up to 100 fixed-term contracts may not be renewed.

The car maker is scaling back its capacity from 460 cars per day to 400 and cutting back to one shift instead of two on the general assembly line.

Holden said it will build the same number of cars as it built last year – approximately 90,000 – but would do so more efficiently.

“No permanent Holden employees are going to lose their jobs as a result of this. People on the afternoon shift are going to join their mates on the day shift,” Devereux told the Herald.

“Rather than have a slower line speed and two general assembly shifts we’re going to have a faster line speed with more people on one general assembly shift.”

Holden had grown its casual workforce in anticipation of reviving its export deals to North America and the Middle East. “[But] due to the high Australian dollar, the forecasted [export] growth that we were anticipating in our production for 2012 is not going to materialise,” he said.

Holden had known of the worker cutbacks for some time; late last year it told dealers it planned to wipe 5000 Commodores from its 2012 production forecast.

hazrd
3rd February 2012, 11:48 AM
Oh noes.. the bogans will be shattered!
Next you know it we will see cruze's on stockies and cut springs (with the 1.4T going stustustustuuuu) :p

Good news for the cruze though. Seems to have done much better than the mini suv equivelant

DirtyHarry
3rd February 2012, 12:57 PM
i drove one of these 1.8 litre cruze model. interior is...ehh ok, but the engine perfomance with auto gear box was pathetic.

hazrd
3rd February 2012, 01:08 PM
Yeah, the older model 1.8 is terrible. I had one as a rentacar for a few days and it struggled to get up a hill.

The Aussie built 2012 models are a significant improvement though ;)

chrissn89
3rd February 2012, 02:19 PM
The 1.8ltr in the series 2 cruze has had alot of changes and improvements done to the engine, gearbox ratios aswell as improved NVH. So is nicer to drive. Pretty sure every engine stock can do with more power lol keeping in mind the cruze is a small car its in the same class as barina.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

gmonkey
3rd February 2012, 03:22 PM
lol so badly a medium car not a small car :p its pulsar size if not bigger and that was a medium car

Nurb608
3rd February 2012, 03:30 PM
lol so badly a medium car not a small car :p its pulsar size if not bigger and that was a medium car

Built on the astra j platform so yes, medium

03srit
3rd February 2012, 03:38 PM
I drove one on the GOR and the auto gearbox kept downshifting on every corner. I liked the interior though and the auto lights and reverse sensors.

imemi
3rd February 2012, 06:27 PM
One of my friends had one...was so under powered...even her dad thought it was crap and he didnt want her to drive at all...but that was 2 years ago. Havent seen the new one. I wasnt keen on the interior either.

poita
3rd February 2012, 06:33 PM
The new cruze is a big big big improvement on the old model.

Nurb608
3rd February 2012, 06:40 PM
The SRi-V we took out for a drive was great as a daily, and the watts link rear setup made a huge difference on the way the car handled.

chrissn89
3rd February 2012, 07:44 PM
One of my friends had one...was so under powered...even her dad thought it was crap and he didnt want her to drive at all...but that was 2 years ago. Havent seen the new one. I wasnt keen on the interior either.

I encourage everyone doubtful or that had bad experiences from the 1.8ltr Series 1 cruze. To go out and test drive a SRi or SRi-V series 2 with the 6sp manual. I can assure you its a great package for the price. The power for a daily drive car is enough.

metry
4th February 2012, 09:54 AM
Next you know it we will see cruze's on stockies and cut springs (with the 1.4T going stustustustuuuu) :p

you forgot to mention chev badges

2002_XC
4th February 2012, 10:03 AM
I encourage everyone doubtful or that had bad experiences from the 1.8ltr Series 1 cruze. To go out and test drive a SRi or SRi-V series 2 with the 6sp manual. I can assure you its a great package for the price. The power for a daily drive car is enough.

Agreed. It is a great car to drive

nick_sixx
4th February 2012, 12:13 PM
The cruze hatch is a great looking car

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VmtcMgcGyE4/TfHRsXeE33I/AAAAAAAAHxE/udfkMj9ehT0/s800/2011%2BChevrolet%2BCruze%2BHatchback%2Bside%2Bview .jpg

It would awesome if they made a 3dr Sri-V hatch

poita
4th February 2012, 12:21 PM
this is the exact model of one getting around town, sri-v hatch in chlorophyll

absolutely love it!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/307004_10150296471999898_5730024897_7621107_327507 2_n.jpg

2002_XC
4th February 2012, 12:34 PM
That's the one I'm getting!!!

Vectracious
4th February 2012, 01:45 PM
I like the colour.

I think I still prefer the sedan though.

Shaun
4th February 2012, 03:57 PM
Seems Holden Move from the Opel Product to the GM Korean / Australian Built (Being the Hatch) product has paid off..... I said it would about 3 years ago...

hazrd
4th February 2012, 05:06 PM
Car manufacturers take a LOT of risks these days. Usually ends up being about the great god dollar in the end which sucks because its quantity over quality.

Holden did well with this one :)

gmonkey
4th February 2012, 06:38 PM
Seems Holden Move from the Opel Product to the GM Korean / Australian Built (Being the Hatch) product has paid off..... I said it would about 3 years ago...

Well technically ur still wrong till the cruze outsells the astra g sales.. And what about the barina and epica? Its good having 1 well selling car but back with opel the astra g and corsa c and vectra c were three of biggest selling cars at the time.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

xplosv57
4th February 2012, 07:13 PM
I think I still prefer the sedan though.

Me too, the hatch still hasn't grown on me!