PDA

View Full Version : Car Buying Options

poita
2nd February 2012, 11:39 PM
Well later this year, if all goes to plan, then I will be parking a brand spanking new Opel in my driveway :)

Now I'm trying to work out financially what's going to be the best way to purchase said car.

Basically the two ways will either be

Novated Lease
Part cash deposit, residual bank loan

Just wondering here who has purchased on novated lease.
- Would you do it again?
- How much, roughly
- What are the benefits of doing it this way?

I know a few of you guys here do it that way, just wanting to figure out if it's suitable for me.

Obviously everyone's circumstances are different, but hopefully some info from those who have done it will help me out a little

sooty
2nd February 2012, 11:42 PM
Have had a novated lease:
Pros: you pay the same every week/fortnight so know exactly what you're up for, all your servicing and fuel etc can just be put on the card. Also save on fbt
Cons: the bulk payout at the end, having to do at least 15,000km a year

poita
2nd February 2012, 11:43 PM
So the bulk payout at the end, what are we talking here?

And is there a way around it :p

JohnBu
2nd February 2012, 11:47 PM
Is the car going to be used for any work related purposes.

If not a novated lease may be the best solution...

But they are getting less and less attractive for people not on the highest tax bracket due to the increasing FBT rates you have to pay.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

poita
2nd February 2012, 11:49 PM
Will be for private use only, unless I do something dodgy with my ABN :lol:

Also can you pay a certain amount upfront, thus reducing the amount to pay?

JohnBu
2nd February 2012, 11:50 PM
Bulk payout is the ballon or residual.

Say a 3 year lease, you can choose a ballon of 40 to 60% of the original loan.

Lower ballon = higher repayments during the 3 years

poita
2nd February 2012, 11:52 PM
So in theory you would sell the car, hoping to get that balloon amount for it so you don't end up with a massive payout?

JohnBu
2nd February 2012, 11:53 PM
No not really, I haven't seen a novated lease with less than 100% finance.

What you may want to consider is the employee contribution method.. Use your own money to pay for fuel, rego, service. This will reduce your FBT.

Oh, speak to your accountant.

2002_XC
2nd February 2012, 11:54 PM
Benefits depend on your yearly earnings before tax... For us it brings rorys wage down into the lower tax bracket. Once the nub comes.off lease we are getting another novated lease

JohnBu
2nd February 2012, 11:54 PM
Most people pay out the ballon with their own money and the sell the car for more than the ballon.

2002_XC
2nd February 2012, 11:56 PM
And you only have to pay it out if you decide to keep it you can either give it back or sell it privately or keep it and pay it out

JohnBu
2nd February 2012, 11:56 PM
Oh yeah, another major benefit of novated leases is you effectively buy the car GST free.

poita
2nd February 2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks for all the info guys

Still wondering which way to do it, I have been offered a car loan at 8.49%

So till deciding.

so much to think about

2002_XC
3rd February 2012, 12:01 AM
As an example the cruise to buy retail rrp is about 32k. The lease quote shows as 27k (fleet discount and gst free) after three years the payout figure is 17k from memory. Theye nurb is cheaper to buy out than what we could possibly sell or buy it for

poita
3rd February 2012, 12:12 AM
That's the thing that worries me, no way would I have $17k lying around to pay in a lump sum

2002_XC
3rd February 2012, 12:13 AM
Then you hand it back and get another new

2002_XC
3rd February 2012, 12:14 AM
Pete have a look at a novated lease calculator it will give you a rough idea of the costs

gmonkey
3rd February 2012, 12:18 AM
So it can basically be like an endless plan?? 3yrs with one car paying a certain amount then at end of term renew a new one with a new car? Is there any fees or anything to doing that??

Also whats the repayments like? Its before tax so most is money that ur never see anyway, im now considering this due to im getting taxed 25% each pay.. I currently pay $110 a week on my car loan ($22k) would this be better?

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

2002_XC
3rd February 2012, 12:22 AM
Find a online calculator and go from there. It does the figures for you and shows if you leased and compares with if you don't lease

gmonkey
3rd February 2012, 12:23 AM
Is there any options to reduce amount of km a year or is that a must minimum

2002_XC
3rd February 2012, 12:23 AM
Its all inclusive so you have to also have to factor in how much you spend on petrol servicing, tyres insurance rego for the year plus repayments for the car

2002_XC
3rd February 2012, 12:26 AM
If you tel them you are going to do a certain amount of km then you have to do that otherwise you get penalised, but as john said speak to an accountant

poita
3rd February 2012, 12:29 AM
Most of the online ones make you fill in all your info, email, address, phone etc etc

I dont want them contacting until i want to get the car

The closet I could find was www.novatedleasedeals.com.au, put in make of car and how much you want to pay and it will show you what you can get.

Both for maintained and non-maintained leases.

So Kylie, there is no balloon payout if you just 'give the car back' and upgrade?

gmonkey
3rd February 2012, 12:47 AM
Just had a gander.. Looks much same as a loan.

$500 non maintained a month for $22k car

Vectracious
3rd February 2012, 01:47 AM
have you made extra repayments into your mortgage? If you've got some spare money there, redraw and use it to buy the car - plus the interest rate is cheaper than a personal loan or lease.

benzino
3rd February 2012, 02:08 AM
some credit cards have compareable interest rates as well

or if you are willing to do some extra work you could just jump around on 1st year low interest cards (a few banks are <3% first 12 months)

benzino
3rd February 2012, 02:10 AM
If you tel them you are going to do a certain amount of km then you have to do that otherwise you get penalised, but as john said speak to an accountant

the more km you do, the lower the amount of tax you have to pay
0-14999km/yr = 26% tax (!!!) if I remember correctly
40001km+ = 7%

so it pays to drive like a mad beast every year

another benefit of novated lease is that you get insured through your employers fleet insurance which is often a cheaper option (for young blokes at least :p )

2002_XC
3rd February 2012, 06:07 AM
the more km you do, the lower the amount of tax you have to pay
0-14999km/yr = 26% tax (!!!) if I remember correctly
40001km+ = 7%

so it pays to drive like a mad beast every year

another benefit of novated lease is that you get insured through your employers fleet insurance which is often a cheaper option (for young blokes at least :p )

This has changed now

poita
3rd February 2012, 11:27 AM
have you made extra repayments into your mortgage? If you've got some spare money there, redraw and use it to buy the car - plus the interest rate is cheaper than a personal loan or lease.

we fixed our loan just before Isaac was born, just so we knew what our repayments where so we could budget better with one income.

it actually ends about the same time I will be getting the new car, so may even just re-finance the whole lot, again.......

some credit cards have compareable interest rates as well

or if you are willing to do some extra work you could just jump around on 1st year low interest cards (a few banks are <3% first 12 months)

there is no ****ing way im going to lump $40k on a credit card that has 18% interest on it

benzino
3rd February 2012, 05:22 PM
there is no ****ing way im going to lump $40k on a credit card that has 18% interest on it

who said anything about 18%? (if you have a credit card atm that is 18% you need to shop around!) lol

NAB has a 3% for 12 months
then st george has a 0.99%/12mths balance transfer card
then for the 3rd/4th/5th whatever year there are heaps of other <3% balance transfer cards

just a suggestion if the other types of lease end up taxing too much...
if you treat the credit card as a mortgage or personal loan, what's the difference? just put it in the freezer and take advantage of the low interest

2002_XC
3rd February 2012, 05:38 PM
And then you stuff up your credit rating by having a credit card application every 12 months ;)

hazrd
3rd February 2012, 05:50 PM
And then you stuff up your credit rating by having a credit card application every 12 months ;)

This

Neeko
3rd February 2012, 06:01 PM
Disregard what I just wrote...

To risky for me to post stuff, don't want to jeopardize my Business Managers License.
Best to talk to your accountant since either option may have benefits for you.

If you have a price for the car I could throw some figures at you at how much you could expect in weekly repayments for a consumer loan.

poita
3rd February 2012, 06:15 PM
who said anything about 18%? (if you have a credit card atm that is 18% you need to shop around!) lol

NAB has a 3% for 12 months
then st george has a 0.99%/12mths balance transfer card
then for the 3rd/4th/5th whatever year there are heaps of other <3% balance transfer cards

just a suggestion if the other types of lease end up taxing too much...
if you treat the credit card as a mortgage or personal loan, what's the difference? just put it in the freezer and take advantage of the low interest

first 12 mths is a low rate, but after that they charge through the ass.

straight from ANZ's site, for the platinum card.

7. Standard variable interest rate is 19.24% p.a. on purchases and 20.99% p.a. on cash advances as at Tuesday, 15 November 2011 and is subject to change.

poita
3rd February 2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks Neeko ;)

Ideally the plan is $40k on a car with a min of $10k deposit, that's my goal

Nurb608
3rd February 2012, 06:36 PM
Pete, i wouldn't look at novated lease if you're not earning over $80k, much cheaper getting a loan and not being tied to any mileage. But as others have said, speak to someone with a better financial background.

gman
7th February 2012, 09:12 PM
I've had a few novated leases and being required to rack up the KM's kills the value of the car so you get killed both ways, either taxed for low km's or poor resale for high km's.

Even earning over $80k a year you usually come out flat vs a loan unless the car is seriously expensive, the lease term is short and it's a car that doesn't have depreciation like a concrete boat! (yes I know Mythbusters made a concrete boat and a lead ballon but you know what I mean! :) )

gmonkey
7th February 2012, 09:33 PM
3yr with 15k kms looks to be the best term to do imo. Or maybe 20k kms