PDA

View Full Version : Fire Suppression system for my Calibra

imemi
25th January 2012, 10:42 AM
Hi All!

SO my dad was showing me the fire suppression system that he's installing in my car.

So so cool! Some of you guys who race may wanna take a look, I'll see if I can find the brand (Dad does it for work so...I'm kinda getting a sweet deal)

Basically, it's a tiny little canister (a bit smaller than a can of coke) and what it does is a lot like a powder extinguisher, only better. It will basically eject the powder into your engine bay which separates the elements needed for fire (Dad says there's three but it basically stops the oxygen from being able to combust) it will then stay suspended in the air for a LONG long time and you can blow it all away or suck it up with a vacuum. It won't deteriorate your wiring etc and it's super small, doesn't need to be professionally refilled, you can do it yourself and it's apparently cheap (but as I said...don't know the price)

Thought it was awesome. They also provide these suppression systems in a "hand grenade" type pack...so you literally pull the pin press the trigger and throw it at a fire...so so much fun and I want the hand grenade.

hazrd
25th January 2012, 10:47 AM
Sounds cool. But one big question remains for us racers... Would it be CAMS approved?

Needs to pass those regs to get racers to be interested ;)

gmonkey
25th January 2012, 10:52 AM
Sounds like whats in planes basically where it removes oxygen from the area (forcing u to open a window to let it out) woulda thought but in something not fully enclosed like an engine bay itd be to hard.. A sprinkler system under the bonnet with liquid co2 woulda been better id thought as it saturates the flame/fuel

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Nurb608
25th January 2012, 10:55 AM
FIA appendix j article 253-7

hazrd
25th January 2012, 10:56 AM
FIA appendix j article 253-7

Speaka da engrish? :p

Nurb608
25th January 2012, 10:59 AM
Speaka da engrish? :p

Lol, Thats the standard CAMS require for plumbed in fire suppression systems

hazrd
25th January 2012, 11:08 AM
so we can use it instead of an extinguisher?

Nurb608
25th January 2012, 11:11 AM
Not sure. The CAMS regs dont specify but the fia say you need a handheld regardless

Edit: fia says either is fine

imemi
25th January 2012, 11:13 AM
I'd have to check the specs. They're being installed in a heap of mine vehicles too.

Basically you can trigger it using a switch or on mine will be a pull the lever type thing.

gmonkey
25th January 2012, 11:16 AM
The ones in the cessnas I fly are pull pin count to 5 and hold ur breathe then "detonates" takes all oxygen outta the air with 3seconds.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

imemi
25th January 2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah Monkey, it's a bit like that. Only this just stops the 3 elements needed for fire from combining...

Here's the press release thingy from Chubb: http://www.chubb.com.au/utcfs/Templates/Pages/Template-66/0,8070,pageId%3D42738%26siteId%3D582,00.html

Called Stat-X

boorny88
25th January 2012, 11:49 AM
Use to help mount the big ass bottles on plant machinery was a liquid one it had a triggr line over the engine and two push buttons one in the cab and one on te outside of a cab wen they go off it's a mass of water that comes out there's nozzles everywhere

Sent from the middle of butt f**k nowhere

imemi
25th January 2012, 12:11 PM
Nah this is different, no water, just a suspension powder. And only the size of a coke can in a regular engine bay. Relatively new stuff. Chubb is the only place doing this particular type and they're apparently pretty cheap.

Quite frankly there's video of my dad throwing the grenade one on a 44gallon drum full of diesel and stuff and it's really super effective.

poita
25th January 2012, 12:19 PM
So the question really is, do you really need this is a road car?

Calibra jokes aside, how many cars actually catch fire to warrant this?

Just curious as to why its needed?

gmonkey
25th January 2012, 12:21 PM
of diesel...? :S

imemi
25th January 2012, 12:28 PM
It's not needed...it's just fun. and knowing my luck so far the new one will catch fire...and burn to the ground...and the old one will have the suppression system in it...lol

imemi
25th January 2012, 12:28 PM
OK Diesel, water, just to produce a burny smoky effect LOL.

gman
25th January 2012, 08:53 PM
CAMS allow remotely operated fire suppression systems but you still need a hand held one in the cabin.

So it's as well as not instead of option.

Nurb608
26th January 2012, 07:49 PM
CAMS allow remotely operated fire suppression systems but you still need a hand held one in the cabin.

So it's as well as not instead of option.

2012 regs changed that for Club Level ;)

gman
26th January 2012, 08:52 PM
Damn it I was still reading the 2011 regs!!!

D'oh!!!! :lol:

ROCCO
29th January 2012, 10:54 PM
So the question really is, do you really need this is a road car?

Well Poita...you going to answer your own question now?? Seeing you own a Cali....but is probably pron to going up in flames due to dodgy wiring or something like that

poita
29th January 2012, 10:56 PM
really, you come back and its still the same old tired joke

thought you would of grown up by now