PDA

View Full Version : Australias first 4G smartphone

hazrd
24th January 2012, 10:45 AM
At least they put it in the phone with the right OS. Too bad you need to be living in the city to take full advantage of it though (for now)

http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2012/01/24/australias-first-4g-smartphone-htc-velocity/

For the past few months I’ve been trialling Australia’s first 4G smartphone. It’s the next generation in mobile phone technology and it delivers mobile internet speeds unimaginable ten years ago.

The great news is that from today, it’s available to our customers. The leap to 4G makes accessing the web sites, video and downloads we already love today faster and easier on the move. It also opens up new possibilities for smartphone services and applications

JohnBu
24th January 2012, 10:56 AM
The problem is the networks are still only giving very little data on their plans... even in the above link- Telstra still only provides 2GB of data.

You could use up 2GB within 10 mins... what about the rest of the month?

poita
24th January 2012, 11:01 AM
I'm only on 1.5GB and it's plenty of data. I very rarely get close to using it each month.

Have seen some of the speeds from the 4G gear, and wow!

hazrd
24th January 2012, 11:03 AM
Will be the same as when ADSL was first introduced... you get fk all data to begin with, then they will eventually provide more as the plans get more popular.

Greg from GSL has a 4G dongle and showed me his speed. it was fking insane!!

edit: just dug it up (hope you dont mind Greg!)... this is faster than DSL2 speeds!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/397862_10150452663706503_518916502_8830223_8726345 12_n.jpg

poita
24th January 2012, 11:10 AM
the phone down is similar, up is about 3mb

JohnBu
24th January 2012, 11:54 AM
I'm only on 1.5GB and it's plenty of data. I very rarely get close to using it each month.

Have seen some of the speeds from the 4G gear, and wow!

I have 2GB on plan, and I use most of it each month, just surfing the web and reading, with the odd YouTube clip or 3 per month..

Like upgrading your Veyron to the Veyron Super Sport when we live in Australia..

Give us at least 5GB or 10GB please!

poita
24th January 2012, 11:59 AM
I do very much the same John, but I guess I do have wifi at work and home to use.

In saying that my phone is sometimes a more reliable and quicker connection that my home adsl......

dsuhiti91
24th January 2012, 10:39 PM
I have 2GB a month and come no where near close to using it, and I am on it all the time watching videos, email, facebook etc. Will be interesting to see Apple's move, I don't expect them to catch up until next year (thats coming from an iPhone owner).

poita
24th January 2012, 10:55 PM
the next iPhone will have LTE though

Vectracious
24th January 2012, 11:11 PM
the next iPhone will have LTE though

are any of the carriers going to have that though?

It was like EDGE and 2G - only Telstra offered EDGE IIRC, Optus definitely didnt, not sure about Vodafone.

poita
24th January 2012, 11:15 PM
Well LTE is a version of 4G, they are sometimes referred to as the same thing.

So yer it will become a standard. It all comes down to the frequencies that it operates

What happens is Telstra will buy a certain frequency so no-one else can use it, hence the better coverage.

So that's why telcos offer different networks, ie 2g, 3g, edge, 4g, nextg, etc

benzino
24th January 2012, 11:26 PM
I've had my phone tell me I was on Edge on optus... it might've been glitching though... hahaha

btw, I live with android and 250mb a month, I feel like I'm living on food stamps
at least I get to play games with no ads because it's not constantly on the internet

Vectracious
24th January 2012, 11:32 PM
I've had my phone tell me I was on Edge on optus... it might've been glitching though... hahaha

My old 2g blackberry could never get EDGE reception when I was with Optus - the minute I put a Telstra SIM in it though, got EDGE reception everywhere.

Yeah fair enough Pete - I'm sure Telstra will make sure the iPhone will work with their stuff, but probably only Telstra delivered handsets...

poita
25th January 2012, 01:12 AM
test reply

guy 27
25th January 2012, 01:12 AM
does 4g have better reception than 3g?

poita
25th January 2012, 01:15 AM
Currently no, but much faster.