PDA

View Full Version : Four Letters ?

kabel
17th January 2012, 10:34 PM
C.R.A.P !
Not really Nerds United BUT Some C$%t scammed my credit card for $2400 late last year.
Had a call from the fraud department of my bank in November telling me there had been two charity donations for small amounts and did I make them. No.

They suggested to cancel the card and get a new one which I did as most scammers test the waters before making a bigger purchase.
I have not used the card since the middle of 2011 when I had to pay imports duties on parts.

Anyway I had missed checking a statement which I stumbled onto last night,happened to be the same day the two smaleer transactions were made, ans surprise someone in NSW went on spree at Dick Smith at my expense.

Bank are saying it is my problem as I did not check my statement and have left it more than 90 days.:buttkick:

Do I have any comeback ? :shrug:

Anyone else been stung by anything similar ?
Wives and GF`s using you card do not count ! :RollingEyes:

Vectracious
17th January 2012, 10:47 PM
I think the 90 days is what might have got you - I know for a fact what I have been told by the merchant guys and my accountant is that after 90 days is up I don't need to keep the register and EFTPOS receipts because after that a transaction cannot be disputed.

However, why would the bank alert you to the smaller transactions and then not question 2400 being spent on the same day - might be worth asking them the question.....

kabel
17th January 2012, 11:03 PM
I think the 90 days is what might have got you - I know for a fact what I have been told by the merchant guys and my accountant is that after 90 days is up I don't need to keep the register and EFTPOS receipts because after that a transaction cannot be disputed.

However, why would the bank alert you to the smaller transactions and then not question 2400 being spent on the same day - might be worth asking them the question.....
Which is what I thought also,and they had not even credited me back the two smaller amounts.
I have cleared the debt today anyway and realise I might have to put it down to being a bit too relaxed about checking my statements.
Once bitten though.

CNBLU
17th January 2012, 11:09 PM
Mate i work at one of the big banks and unfortunately because our data base can only go back 90 days this will limit your case. I would however definately talk to someone in the complaints department to see what can be done, maybe even threaten to go to another bank with a lower interest rate.... that might get their attention

Vectracious
17th January 2012, 11:10 PM
Which is what I thought also,and they had not even credited me back the two smaller amounts.
I have cleared the debt today anyway and realise I might have to put it down to being a bit too relaxed about checking my statements.
Once bitten though.

I reckon you should call their customer service people and ask why if they queried the smaller amounts, why the larger amount wasn't queried as well. Sure, they can say its your fault for not checking the statements, but you cancelled the card and thought everything was good - so you didn't check the statement.

Then threaten that you're not happy with what happened and that paying 2300 for someone else to have used your card illegally is not good and that you are thinking of closing all your accounts and going to another bank - also see what they say about their fraud protection on their credit card terms and conditions - most banks if not all of them should have some sort of customer protection on them.

Banks are desperate to keep all their customers, so threatening them with leaving may get you somewhere... worth a shot if you have the time to pursue it. :)

Vectracious
17th January 2012, 11:12 PM
Mate i work at one of the big banks and unfortunately because our data base can only go back 90 days this will limit your case. I would however definately talk to someone in the complaints department to see what can be done, maybe even threaten to go to another bank with a lower interest rate.... that might get their attention

That's ridiculous - I have to keep my records for 7 years!!!! You would think with the millions of dollars profit the banks make they can get some extra computers to keep some more data :p

CNBLU
17th January 2012, 11:14 PM
That's ridiculous - I have to keep my records for 7 years!!!! You would think with the millions of dollars profit the banks make they can get some extra computers to keep some more data :p

Pete we are still using DOS based programs :lol:

Ice
17th January 2012, 11:18 PM
Ditto to that

hazrd
17th January 2012, 11:32 PM
DOS?!
Christ. Better put my money back under the mattress :p

Vectracious
17th January 2012, 11:35 PM
Pete we are still using DOS based programs :lol:

DOS rules - you don't get a blue screen of death with DOS!!!!

kabel
17th January 2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys.
The teller at my bank was quite helpful but the guy on the phone from the credit car disputes department was rude to say the least.
Will see what happens.

JohnBu
18th January 2012, 10:54 AM
Three words.

Financial Ombudsman Service

Banks hate them, I hate them, but you may love them.

I think you may have a change of recouping some of the cost.

$2,400 is a huge amount to let slide on the c/c bill.. your bills must be bigger than mine.

Good Luck.

kabel
18th January 2012, 03:58 PM
Three words.

Financial Ombudsman Service

Banks hate them, I hate them, but you may love them.

I think you may have a change of recouping some of the cost.

$2,400 is a huge amount to let slide on the c/c bill.. your bills must be bigger than mine.

Good Luck.

Ta.
Generally I have no credit card debt.
I hardly use the thing !
All the forms were filled out to try and recover the money.
No stressing until I hear back from them....too many other things to worry about at present :-)

JohnBu
18th January 2012, 04:18 PM
You're better than me, I rack up quite large credit card bills each month (to me anyway) and pay it off in full each month, but I still check each transaction one by one.

What shits me is merchants who use a company in a different location on the Merchant info. i.e. I remember buying about $50 of KFC in Knox City, the transaction on the statement wrote XYZ Pty Ltd Oakleigh Vic... took me 5 mins to work it out..

Good luck.

You filled out a complaint form with FOS or the bank?

kabel
18th January 2012, 08:02 PM
Just at the bank giving them all the illegal transactions details so they can investigate.

Vectracious
19th January 2012, 02:53 PM
hope they can do something for you kabel :)

imemi
22nd January 2012, 08:19 PM
Good luck with it. I hate fraud with a passion, deal with credit card details through work (over the net) and have to jump through all the hoops when someone's details are wrong or if a card is used without permission.

I'm sure there's something they can do as I've got a customer chasing IP details of a purchase from last September....

kabel
12th February 2012, 08:13 PM
The bank have refunded the money into my account but have stated it will be taken back if it is proven not to be fraud.
Cannot ask for any more than that.

P#$ses me off that there are low-lifes around thinking they have the right to take what does not belong to them though.

Silver Surfer
13th February 2012, 10:56 AM
Good news :smile5: