PDA

View Full Version : Holden Volt - A shocking price!!

poita
14th January 2012, 07:25 PM
News of the Volt has come up, will be around $66k on road!!

I hate to agree with one of the comments, but it's soooo true!

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/aussie-volt-delivers-sticker-shock-20120113-1pxy8.html

Holden fuel miser's price tag is likely to make sparks fly.

The Holden Volt plug-in hybrid electric car may be as cheap as a cup of coffee to run but it will cost more than $60,000 to buy - three times the price of the small sedan on which it is based.

Holden is yet to announce the price publicly but has told its dealer network the vehicle will have a recommended retail price of $59,990 before on-road and dealer costs, which will likely to equate to a total of $66,000 drive-away when it goes on sale late this year.

The Volt is about the same size as a Holden Cruze sedan, the starting price of which is currently advertised at $21,990 drive-away.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The Volt can drive up to 64 kilometres on battery power alone before the petrol motor takes over for a total driving range in excess of 400 kilometres.

As most drivers commute less than 64 kilometres a day, Holden estimates the Volt will take less than four hours to recharge from empty, using about $2.50 worth of electricity.

Holden has also told dealers only 100 of the US-made cars will be imported this year and no more than 500 will be available in 2013. It says it will only import as many Volts as ordered by customers: ''If demand is 300, we will only bring in 300,'' one dealer says. ''If demand is higher than 500, we will bring in no more than 500.''

By comparison, Toyota Australia last year sold 5400 Camry and 800 Prius hybrids.

A US study has shown more than two-thirds of Volts in North America run purely on electricity.

General Motors had to develop technology that automatically runs the petrol engine for a few minutes each month to keep it maintained.

Furthermore, if a Volt customer does not consume a tank of fuel after 12 months, the on-board computer will run the petrol motor until the tank is empty to get rid of the stale fuel.

US talk-show host and car fanatic Jay Leno reportedly still has the original tank of petrol his Volt came with - despite having travelled more than 16,000 kilometres.

The consumer data was taken from more than 8 million kilometres of customer driving in North America over the first six months of last year.

The Volt is unlike the Toyota Prius, which can travel a maximum of about two kilometres without petrol in ideal conditions and which, to date, cannot be topped up via a power point.

General Motors is in the middle of a recall campaign for the Volt in North America to strengthen the area around the T-shaped, lithium-ion battery pack (mounted in the ''spine'' of the car).

Last June a Volt caught fire in a holding yard three weeks after a severe side-impact crash test by US safety authorities.

In November, the same authorities replicated the test on three Volt battery packs in a laboratory. Two of the three devices caught fire - one after a few hours and the other six days later.

GM has since called back about 8000 Volts for rectification work; a handful of customers have asked for and received their money back.

The US safety authorities and GM said the Volt was safe and no fires had occurred after crashes on public roads. The Volt will be updated before it arrives in Australian showrooms badged as a Holden instead of a Chevrolet.

GM said the Volt's battery should have been drained after the crash but it never told the safety authorities to do that. GM had no formal procedure to drain the batteries until after the June fire.

GM said the liquid solution used to cool the Volt's battery leaked and crystalised, causing an electrical short that set off the fire.

The company now sends out a team to drain the batteries after being notified of a crash by GM's satellite safety system.

Mitsubishi, which introduced a full-electric car last year, and Nissan, which will introduce a full-electric car this year, said they were satisfied with their post-crash battery-safety procedures even though their cars also used lithium-ion packs.

As is the industry norm, car makers introducing vehicles with new technology brief Australian emergency crews about dealing with the wreckage after a crash.

benzino
14th January 2012, 07:37 PM
Dear GM,
did you not learn from the EV1?
Electric cars do not work if their price tag outweighs the saving from not having to buy petrol.
Love Ben

and Pete, that pun was shocking

poita
14th January 2012, 08:05 PM
your reply to my shocking pun was shocking

Milesy
14th January 2012, 08:13 PM
Even at that price they are probably making a loss. In the US there are massive government rebates which we don't have here. Reading between the lines this is probably why volume is limited.

No doubt there will be enough early adopters and greenies who will take up the limited volume.

poita
14th January 2012, 08:21 PM
Oh yer there will be early adopters for sure.

Fair enough the US might get rebates, but I doubt that makes up for the doubling of the price here.

benzino
14th January 2012, 11:00 PM
I find it ironic that they're trying to pedal green cars when they are not changing manufacturing materials at all...
do they not realise how much oil goes into plastic!?!?

and what about the waste when the batteries die?

all this bloody sugarcoating of "greeness" just for smug hipster wankers
reminds me of the south park episode when everyone gets prius' and smell their own farts

Ice
14th January 2012, 11:31 PM
what a rip !

hazrd
15th January 2012, 12:47 AM
Gay
Doesn't sound like a lot of value

glider
15th January 2012, 09:01 AM
its almost as if they're trying to make sure they dont take off :lol:

Hoss
15th January 2012, 04:44 PM
In relation to the Volt and other electric cars, an article in the December 2011 edition of Wheels suggests electric cars are not good for the environment as the electricity they use is generated from polluting coal fired power stations.

poita
15th January 2012, 06:05 PM
of course they arent

what happens to the lead batteries once they fail? and to manufacture them, they dont grow on trees

as much as clarkson is an idiot one of the eps they went into the nitty gritty of an electric car, and i agree with him

they are worse for the environment than a petrol car

hazrd
15th January 2012, 06:16 PM
^^ this
would rather a turbo diesel if i was going to be environmentally friendly tbh

Hoss
16th January 2012, 11:56 AM
of course they arent

what happens to the lead batteries once they fail? and to manufacture them, they dont grow on trees

as much as clarkson is an idiot one of the eps they went into the nitty gritty of an electric car, and i agree with him

they are worse for the environment than a petrol car

Too true, but it's all about perceptions. Governments need to be seen to be doing something, as do car companies. Just like in Canberra, the Government is building on-road bicycle paths everywhere as a way to encourage less motoring and hence reduce greenhouse emissions - not likely to have much impact on Australia's or global emissions, but the ACT Government is giving the perception of doing something. Meanwhile the world's largest polluters carry on their merry way.

Wraith
16th January 2012, 01:11 PM
AFAIK the price of this car was always said to be around 60k+ since it was first revealed so no surprises here...

But agree, even at that stage it sounded like a put off...

benzino
26th January 2012, 12:50 AM
i dont understand how they will sell many at that price point... especially when the i-miev is $20k less...

hazrd
26th January 2012, 08:26 PM
The imeiv is also the size of a shoebox :p

benzino
26th January 2012, 09:05 PM
yeah... lol

but... where is the only place you would want to be using an EV? in the city and city cars should be small!!

but about the volt, it's not really a proper EV... it's more like an expensive prius
if people want an economical car the size of a cruze, they'll just buy the cruze diesel for $42k less
if people want a hybrid, they'll buy a prius for $27k less
and if someone really wanted an EV they would buy the I-miev for $20k less

holden's price point for the volt makes absolutely no sense at all
and then there's the whole "bursting into flames after side-impact crashes"... lol

hazrd
26th January 2012, 09:43 PM
very true

would still just rather a diesel!!

Wraith
27th January 2012, 01:48 PM
very true

would still just rather a diesel!!

Agree...and have taken the plunge myself :D

The diesels are getting better and better and a good one of those would be the go for the here and now :)

I'd leave the electric bridgade alone for some years yet, IMO they should be a real goer in the next decade or so when hydrogen cell powered units are common and all sorted...

benzino
27th January 2012, 03:56 PM
as long as there is petrol and diesel, there will be no other real alternative...

I suggest anyone that is interested should watch "who killed the electric car?" about the EV1 and EV's in general

I don't believe hydrogen is the way of the future... it's just a pipe dream
I see the future as being bio-diesel, ethanol, and EV's

Wraith
27th January 2012, 04:16 PM
as long as there is petrol and diesel, there will be no other real alternative...

I suggest anyone that is interested should watch "who killed the electric car?" about the EV1 and EV's in general

I don't believe hydrogen is the way of the future... it's just a pipe dream
I see the future as being bio-diesel, ethanol, and EV's

An entire logistic network of hydrogen cell electric powered vehicles is already successfully operating in certain Countries and has been for years...the rest of the World is happy to just sit back and watch...

If it spreads it'll become much cheaper and very feasible (like anything else) only time will tell, but I still reckon fossil fuels will eventually become redundant...

At least we can enjoy them for some time to come or maybe even for rest of our lifetime :)

Biofuels still need alot of time, investment and regulation before they have any chance of becoming accepted, I'm all for bio diesel if or when it ever becomes available as I'll just run it in my new oiler :cornut:

glider
27th January 2012, 11:51 PM
The issue with bio fuel is the morality issue of using farmland to grow the fuel while people starve in third world countries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Coz apparently sigs are all the rage at the moment

Wraith
28th January 2012, 11:45 AM
The issue with bio fuel is the morality issue of using farmland to grow the fuel while people starve in third world countries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Coz apparently sigs are all the rage at the moment

Yep, as said bio fuels have a long way to go if they're ever going to become mainstream...

AFAIK the biggest issue I'm aware of with them is the expense of both time and money, it takes a substantial amount of both for the return of just a minimal yield of fuel...

A doco I watched not long ago also outlined the regulation problems of making sure eventual suppliers abide to a strict end product type result as it has to comply to a specific formulation...

metry
30th January 2012, 11:03 PM
the thing with electric cars like this is car manufacturers need to appear as if theyre doing something to be environmentally friendly. by having electric cars like this in their lineup they in effect promote their brand more. besides imo governments are more for diesel and petrol because of the amount of taxation revenue they get from them. the issue with alternative sources of fuel are that there is little money to be made on them like fossil fuels. look at the price of electricity compared to petrol. to fill the battery on an electric car costs not even $10. but a full tank in say an astra like mine is going to cost you at least $70.

poita
31st August 2012, 12:53 AM
So with the Volt now here, some interesting info about the costs.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/holden_volt_vs_commodore_sv6_lpg_vs_cruze_cdx/

Priced from $46,290, the SV6 returns 12.3 litres/100km. The $31,040 Cruze auto gets 6.7 litres/100km. Neither are in the Volt’s ballpark. And yet …
Checking the price of fuel today we found a Sydney spot that dished up LPG at 65.9 cents a litre, diesel for 144.9 cents and the Volt’s premium 95 unleaded for 145.9 cents. Why top notch juice? Because that's what Holden use to achieve the official fuel test figures you see on the windscreen sticker.
At these prices the Volt costs $1.75 to run for every 100km travelled, the Commodore $8.24 and the Cruze $9.71.
But – and it’s a big but – when you factor the Volt’s $14,000 premium over the Commodore and the $29,000 over the Cruze, it’s battery powered glow begins to fade.
The sums you save on either pays for a whole lot of fuel for a long time to come. You would have to travel 211,000km before breaking even with the Commodore or a whopping 363,000km in the case of the Cruze.

SIMid
31st August 2012, 03:19 PM
You would pay the premium if it was a premium car in that sector/market, which it isn't. Audi, BMW, Merc, etc.

mickos
31st August 2012, 03:28 PM
Fail

sooty
31st August 2012, 10:32 PM
I think people miss the point, it's not about money. That's not why electric cars are made. It's made to reduce greenhouse gas outputs and be more environmentally friendly.

Now how successful they are given the electricity is coming from a great big dirty coal powered power station here is questionable, however that's their goal. If you wanted to compare fuel economy and initial outlay then you'd go out and buy a geely or some 800cc shitbox, costs fk all to run and fk all initially.

In europe, where the power can be sourced from nuclear or hydro sources and it's 'clean' power in terms of emissions, then the environmental impact is more significant. Then there is the whole problem with carbon miles on the batteries etc.

daves_cally
31st August 2012, 10:59 PM
I think people miss the point, it's not about money. That's not why electric cars are made. It's made to reduce greenhouse gas outputs and be more environmentally friendly.

Now how successful they are given the electricity is coming from a great big dirty coal powered power station here is questionable, however that's there goal. If you wanted to compare fuel economy and initial outlay then you'd go out and buy a geely or some 800cc shitbox, costs fk all to run and fk all initially.

+1 well put!

Like any new technology the price is high (eg I payed $115 for a 512mb USB stick 7 years ago) but thanks to R&D and people showing interest in them, prices will come down. The other problems like energy sources for recharging or battery disposal will have to be worked out too, but it's a step in the right direction

gravy258
1st September 2012, 02:16 PM
at least the Volt looks OK, the cruze is just too Daewoo for me.

If you have solar panels or buy your power from 100% renewable sources, then why not ?

Or do what the Top Gear testers do, charge it at work.

Apparently the Volt factory is closed for a month due to lack of demand.

Wraith
7th September 2012, 08:46 AM
You would pay the premium if it was a premium car in that sector/market, which it isn't. Audi, BMW, Merc, etc.

Your right ! this is what it will come down to for most people in the decision process for a new car in that price range...

Fail

Yep same thought came to my mind when reading those numbers above, those running cost comparisons are useless IMO because they don't take into account 'everything outlayed' for one car vs the other, it's a fuel usage comparison only once you factor in maintanance, consumable replacement costs, acquisition costs, etc. etc. etc. I don't think the Volt will stack up that favourably at all, hence not surprised at all it ain't selling...

Just let all the greenies and other like minded people buy into these and keep caughing up the public funds needed to pave the way forward with these types of vehicles :p