PDA

View Full Version : Astra better known than Cruze

poita
14th January 2012, 07:21 PM
Well tbh I'm not really surprised, the astra was a huge seller for Holden over the years.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/opel-to-reap-astra-windfall-20120113-1pybb.html

Holden's loss is Opel's gain, with the Astra nameplate better recognised than the Holden Cruze in a survey of car buyers.

In what could be a blow for Holden, Opel can expect to cash in on almost 20 years of hard work building the Astra name in Australia when it goes on sale in the second half of this year.

It's been two years since the Holden Astra was last in showrooms, replaced with the now locally built Cruze global small car, but the latest Roy Morgan Automotive Currency Report shows the Astra name still has strong currency with many buyers.

The Astra even beat the country's best-selling car, the Mazda3, in the survey.

Advertisement: Story continues below
General Motors's European subsidiary Opel - it shares the US parent company of Holden - has announced plans to bring the Astra name back this year, although wearing the German car maker's badge.

Researchers asked people who planned to buy a new car in the next four years which models of cars they were most familiar with.

The Volkswagen Golf topped the poll, with an 82 per cent recognition among potential buyers, closely followed by the Toyota Corolla at 81.9 per cent. Astra ranked third at 80.3 per cent recognition, while the best-selling car of 2011 in Australia, the Mazda3, placed fourth at 71.8 per cent.

Wraith
16th January 2012, 01:13 PM
No surprise at all, I think there's alot of people out there who are now familiar with both types of car and the Astra would definitely stand out as the better one...

Vectracious
16th January 2012, 02:52 PM
The G I'm sure was one of the best selling cars when it was on the market - it's no surprise it still is quite well known in the public's mind.

Wraith
18th January 2012, 01:23 PM
The G I'm sure was one of the best selling cars when it was on the market - it's no surprise it still is quite well known in the public's mind.

That's correct Pete.

Has sold in higher numbers than any previous Astra or any other imported Opel in Aust. thus far :)

The TS vert is also the highest ever selling vert of any type in Aust. thus far...

ZomBie
19th January 2012, 01:24 PM
I do like how newspapers can take the bleeding obvious and turn it into ground breaking news......

As others have said, no surprise. Astra has been around alot longer than Cruze.

gmonkey
19th January 2012, 02:35 PM
That's correct Pete.

Has sold in higher numbers than any previous Astra or any other imported Opel in Aust. thus far :)

The TS vert is also the highest ever selling vert of any type in Aust. thus far...

Id say I see more mx5s than astra verts

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk