PDA

View Full Version : Rear light advise asap?

NUTTTR
24th November 2004, 01:52 AM
Car as it was....
http://nutter.caraudioaustralia.com/gallery/albums/userpics/astralatest/DSC01857.jpg
http://nutter.caraudioaustralia.com/gallery/albums/userpics/astralatest/DSC01836.jpg

"MHW" rear lights........ basically same price as irmscher here... but look darker and look like a decent fit.... ?
http://www.uk-car-accessories.co.uk/MHW/large/V1-218.jpg
http://www.carshine.com.au/Pictures/Opel-Holden/Opel%20Holden%20-%20Astra%20G%20Accessories%20-%20Taillights%20New%20Style%20Black.jpg

What does everyone think? The quality looks ok, i don't know of ANYONE with them, so a good start :) Can anyone photoshop it on? Or advise on if it's a good look? Let me know asap as i have to order this week :)
Thanks
Aaron

KevinFok
24th November 2004, 02:47 AM
seriously if ya wanted black rear lights like that i would suggest that u would get a rear light tinting spray and spray it as dark as that and then get some gloss and spray it over it and it would come out simular to that....but the orginal one that ya had on was nice

Pharkus
24th November 2004, 07:54 AM
NUTTR, those MHW ones are the ones that I was after. Definitely a much better. But from what I can see on your car, you've already got the irmies, so unless you have offloaded them to someone (me, me, me) or something is wrong with them then I think the money would be better spent on other mods.

Carshine do have them for $499 last time I was there but they have to order them.

If you're going to get them when are you doing it?

Kevin, buying the tiniting spray is a good idea, but you'll notice the whole point of getting the MHW lights is to remove the colour. All you would achieve by tintin would be to darken them like on the turbo lights.

Anonymous
24th November 2004, 08:00 AM
spray on tint is a big no no :roll:

Pharkus
24th November 2004, 08:07 AM
Well sorry forgot the biggest problem in that if you spray too much then you will render your light unroadworthy. You wouldn't want that.

SmellyTofu
24th November 2004, 08:16 AM
NUTTR, those MHW ones are the ones that I was after. Definitely a much better. But from what I can see on your car, you've already got the irmies, so unless you have offloaded them to someone (me, me, me) or something is wrong with them then I think the money would be better spent on other mods.

Carshine do have them for $499 last time I was there but they have to order them.

If you're going to get them when are you doing it?

Kevin, buying the tiniting spray is a good idea, but you'll notice the whole point of getting the MHW lights is to remove the colour. All you would achieve by tintin would be to darken them like on the turbo lights.

http://www.opelaus.com/~opela58/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=4026

Aaron, it won't be roadworthy because of the lack of red reflector on the back.

imay
24th November 2004, 08:23 AM
No reflector, not roadworthy. Stick with what you have (if they have a reflector. Should do, because they are irmscher, they should have EU rating).

Beat me to it Smelly! Nice to see I'm not the only one checking forum postings before I start my hard day at the office!

Pharkus
24th November 2004, 08:24 AM
Just got updated on the availability of your spare light. Sorry to hear it. Hope it all gets fixed up soon.

Aaron, it won't be roadworthy because of the lack of red reflector on the back.

I didn't realise you needed the red reflector, the guys down at carshine said they were alright cos they complied with the euro standard. Maybe just to get a sale?

Anonymous
24th November 2004, 09:59 AM
so if i tinted my oringal lights am i amble to take it off after????

Pharkus
24th November 2004, 10:10 AM
well I too was trying for that no colour look on my car. You know silver with either the clear taillights or smoked ones so that there would be no colour on the exterior. I just didn't want to risk stuffing up the factory lights.

NUTTTR
24th November 2004, 10:41 AM
You might not be able to get the tint spray off :) If something happens while they are tinted (someone runs into you) you are stuffed if the lights aren't bright enough... The irmy's are tinted but are DEFINATELY bright enough, likewise these are supposed to be too.......
These are supposedly road legal in aus according to carshine.... damn........ i guess i could always add a tiny reflector in the corner? lol :) Yeah, i need to change and the irmy's i don't want to go with again...... however the ones we got here maybe were a bad batch?
Aaron

Anonymous
24th November 2004, 10:44 AM
remember mine arrived in the same shipment as yours, and i havent had the same problems, maybe it was due to that QLD weather in its previous life?

or shao just picked the bad ones and i got the good ones? :|

Pharkus
24th November 2004, 10:47 AM
Carshine said they were really well made but if I wanted to get them they would order and I wouldn't be able to inspect before buying. So are you sure you need the reflector to be legal?

Anonymous
24th November 2004, 10:55 AM
yes you must have a reflector

NUTTTR
24th November 2004, 10:56 AM
To Aaron
Thanks for the email back in regards to the MHW rear lights.
The lights are all TUV approved which meets Australian standards.
MHW quality and fitment is normally very good.

Thats what they said about them.... if they "meet australian standards" is that good enough?

Pharkus
24th November 2004, 11:11 AM
Well if you do decide to get the MHW lights, I'd be interested in seeing them on your car. You'd probably also need to get the invisible globes as well for them.

Keep us posted and pics when it's all fixed. Good luck

Nem
24th November 2004, 11:13 AM
TUV is more stringent than ADR I believe. It's the German variation and they're particularly scrupulous especially with emissions.

NUTTTR
24th November 2004, 11:16 AM
TUV is more stringent than ADR I believe. It's the German variation and they're particularly scrupulous especially with emissions.

lol, ok, that doesn't really have anything to do with light reflectors does it.... i wonder if they realise tuv isn't legal here?

YuSuF
24th November 2004, 11:21 AM
They both look honestly I wouldnt be able to make up my mind

So whichever one you end up with is going to be great!

Pharkus
24th November 2004, 11:23 AM
The problem Yusuf is that the irmshers are definitely legal with the reflector strip on the bottom but the MHW's although in my opinion look better, and were the ones I was going to get may or may not be legal.

YuSuF
24th November 2004, 11:31 AM
Ah ok, they look abit like normal tinted ones

Although MHW do show a little colour in the globes dont know if that makes a difference so yeah will just have to get them checked out.

NUTTTR
24th November 2004, 11:42 AM
They need reflectors (2) SOMEWHERE on the back of the car...
:( :(

Pharkus
24th November 2004, 11:52 AM
That would explain why the new Mazda 3 has those ugly ones on the bumper if you get the SP23 with the LED taillights.

So what are you going to get now NUTTR or will you put some reflectors on?

YuSuF
24th November 2004, 11:56 AM
Thats would explain why my centre circles arent used as "Lights" so its all good!

The big decision NUTTR?

NUTTTR
24th November 2004, 12:03 PM
now i don't know :( I don't want the irmschers due to the so called-quality :) You'd expect them to be high quality, but to me they were not, in fit or design (and leaking problems!) I dunno...... i guess they could have changed the design since i got mine and now they don't leak and they fit properly? Wishful thinking..... only other lights i was thinking of was the Hella led ones.... but i dunno, have to import them myself, trying to keep costs down if i want something more exxy (that way it will work out that they cost the same)
Aaron

YuSuF
24th November 2004, 12:06 PM
Have you thought of the black/lexus type

Black ones dont show alot of chrome so not so Ricey...

Pharkus
24th November 2004, 12:09 PM
I don't think the hella ones would look that nice on the dark blue. Only on black. They are down right ugly on silver. And they would also probably cost you a lot more. How about those altezza ones but with the black backing and not the chrome?

Was the leaking really bad in the irmscher ones?

SmellyTofu
24th November 2004, 12:43 PM

Have a look at the Hella site and how they've got photos of the rear tail lights for VW.. esp the clear, green, blue ones. Look at the extra red reflector they've put on the bumper to make it TÜV legal. I wouldn't trust Carshine to say it's legal unless you have a certificate to say that the product is TÜV legal. You also get this certificate on Eibach springs.

ADR follows more or less the European standards in a lot of things. Lighting is one of them.

Water leak was "bad" to the point of a pool inside and fogging between the melted plastic sealing and the external lens on the inside which left me no choice but to dry them out in the sun and siliconing the crap out of it and properly refitted the sponge sealer on the outside.

Also the tail lights do not sit flush to the panels unlike the standard ones. The Italian made standard ones have a different base to the Irmscher ones (with a some parts of the Irmscher ones with no semi-hard plastic sealing and really really really disappointed with their design as much as their build quality.

No one has mentioned the slightly tinted Equipe/CDX/Turbo ones... or just don't bother with them. Save it for something else.

SmellyTofu
24th November 2004, 12:44 PM

Have a look at the Hella site and how they've got photos of the rear tail lights for VW.. esp the clear, green, blue ones. Look at the extra red reflector they've put on the bumper to make it TÜV legal. I wouldn't trust Carshine to say it's legal unless you have a certificate to say that the product is TÜV legal. You also get this certificate on Eibach springs.

ADR follows more or less the European standards in a lot of things. Lighting is one of them.

Water leak was "bad" to the point of a pool inside and fogging between the melted plastic sealing and the external lens on the inside which left me no choice but to dry them out in the sun and siliconing the crap out of it and properly refitted the sponge sealer on the outside.

Also the tail lights do not sit flush to the panels unlike the standard ones. The Italian made standard ones have a different base to the Irmscher ones (with a some parts of the Irmscher ones with no semi-hard plastic sealing and really really really disappointed with their design as much as their build quality.

No one has mentioned the slightly tinted Equipe/CDX/Turbo ones... or just don't bother with them. Save it for something else.

Pharkus
24th November 2004, 02:05 PM
The tinted ones like on the Equipe/CDX/turbo is too expensive for what they are. If you're going to upgrade the taillights and pay that sort of money you might as well get something that looks a lot different.

Thanks for the heads up on the irmscher ones. I was considering them and would've thought that the fitting would be near perfect and no leaks.

Guess the only thing to get now are eibach srpings.

Marty
24th November 2004, 04:45 PM
Nuttr

Is your SRi lowered or is it factory standard?

What profile are your tyres, 40 series?

Do you have a side on photo of your car with the Astra Turbo wheels on it?
If you do can you post it.

NUTTTR
24th November 2004, 09:30 PM
i do have a photo Marty!
Check
nutter.caraudioaustralia.com/gallery

There's STACKS of pictures of the car there :) And they are 40 tyres, yes :) SRI lowered from the factory

their reply (carshine) was:
As long as they have a TUV certificate supplied they are legal in
Australia.
Thanks

So they DO have a certificate!!! So maybe that's a good thing? I can always stick reflectors on i guess if i am concerned...... so far they look like the best quality/fit ones i've found, the irmscher weren't great (poor) at all unfort, and was happy with them, but not happy at the same time :(

If they have a certificate, might ring the ADR tomorrow and find out? RTA gave me a number for them in canberra, so might ask :)
Aaron

NUTTTR
25th November 2004, 11:48 PM
so does TUV certificate mean it's road legal here? :(

imay
26th November 2004, 07:12 AM
so does TUV certificate mean it's road legal here? :(

Not necessarily so! Check with your state's road traffic authority. And then again with your insurance agent. Think you'll find you MUST have rear facing red reflectors of a minimum square area for it to be legal.