PDA

View Full Version : new car buying dilemma, should i wait?

traveltravel
5th January 2012, 11:51 PM
so my car has been off finance for a few months now and im considering upgrading.
i have a 2007.5 manual sri astra 63k km

my choice is between the current mark6 vw gti OR should i wait till the opc gets confirmed or declined for aus and then make my decision

just the basic specs for both

2012 Astra OPC 206kW/ 400Nm - Manual
VW Golf GTI*155kW/*280Nm - DSG

any input will be valued greatly

guy 27
5th January 2012, 11:58 PM
if you're looking at the opc you should maybe compare that more to the golf r.

metry
6th January 2012, 12:04 AM
if you're looking at the opc you should maybe compare that more to the golf r.

+1

you should compare the sri (if there is going to be an sri) with the gti

kabel
6th January 2012, 12:09 AM
Me I would wait.
Picking up a Golf GTi at any time will be easy,there are heaps about.
Or think about a Scirrocco R ?

poita
6th January 2012, 12:10 AM
OPC is confirmed for Aus, but not at initial launch afaik

gmonkey
6th January 2012, 12:24 AM
golfs are everywhere and to me quite boring... considered renault megane rs250??

traveltravel
thanks guys its such a big decisions to bite the bullet and get a turbo powered car or wait it out until something better comes

OPC is confirmed for Aus, but not at initial launch afaik

unfortunately you are wrong, according to the opel-australia website
http://www.opel-australia.com.au/vehicles/opel-range/cars/astra-gtc/index.html

GTC is not confirmed, so i would also guess the OPC range is not confirmed either...

ChrisMaz
Last I heard was a tentative late 2013 release for select OPC models.

"Next year’s Astra GTC OPC was previewed by last year’s piping-hot GTC Paris concept, which was powered by a 2.0-litre twin-scroll turbocharged direct-injection four-cylinder petrol engine with standard idle-stop.

Expect it to join Opel’s Australian line-up by mid-2013 as the headline act of an OPC range that will open with the Corsa OPC hot-hatch and close with the Insignia OPC, which was benchmarked against the Audi S6."

They obviously think they are better off with a single, high performance Astra GTC OPC instead of offering both the GTC AND the GTC OPC.

gman
6th January 2012, 12:29 AM
Megane RS250!!! Without doubt best hatch on sale in Oz ATM...

traveltravel
6th January 2012, 12:51 AM
Megane RS250!!! Without doubt best hatch on sale in Oz ATM...

with about the most boring interior ive seen in a car in the last 10 years, the astra g's interior looked better imo.

@ChrisMaz, dont know where you got that from but i guess ill wait it out.

PS88
6th January 2012, 01:45 AM
125i E82 Cope ...

dutchy
6th January 2012, 02:16 AM
If it was me, I would wait till it's actually here, then go for a drive, then decide.

hazrd
6th January 2012, 06:33 AM
If it was me, I would wait till it's actually here, then go for a drive, then decide.

This
Also take into account... Is your SRi you currently have looking after you? ie: no faults or breakdowns. If it is, then you have no real reason to upgrade just yet which gives you the time to wait for the more spec'd up Opels to come to Aus ;)

I suppose the only downside is that it might not be worth as much for a trade in then because it will have more kms/older, yada yada, but at the end of the day, its your choice that should make you happy!

JohnBu
6th January 2012, 08:32 AM
with about the most boring interior ive seen in a car in the last 10 years, the astra g's interior looked better imo.

The interior isn't that bad.. But if it's the ultimate hot hatch that you want, then it's the RS250..

Also look at the scirocco, more of a OPC competitor than the GTI.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

btm
6th January 2012, 09:27 AM
test drive the megane for sure. love the looks and handling!

LittleRed1
6th January 2012, 09:57 AM
I saw a Megane rs250 in the flesh yesterday. I have to say, it's a very nicely styled car, really a good looker. Renault seem to do this every now and then. It is however, still French, so expect some unusual things in there. As usual, the locals completely miss the boat by not giving up the 265hp motor. Some of us locals like the option of a little individuality. Without the option of a 'special' version, you might as well get yourself a Mazda 3 like everybody else.

rjastra
6th January 2012, 10:47 AM
You are obviously thinking of a new car "now". So why base you decision on what may come from Opel in 18months time?

I say, go look at a Golf Edition 35. It has a detuned Golf R (173kW/300Nm ) engine mated to the DSG box.

http://www.ausmotive.com/images2011/VW-Golf-GTI-35-03s.jpg

rjastra
6th January 2012, 10:51 AM
I saw a Megane rs250 in the flesh yesterday. I have to say, it's a very nicely styled car, really a good looker. Renault seem to do this every now and then. It is however, still French, so expect some unusual things in there. As usual, the locals completely miss the boat by not giving up the 265hp motor. Some of us locals like the option of a little individuality. Without the option of a 'special' version, you might as well get yourself a Mazda 3 like everybody else.

Isn't the Renault Megane RS250 Monaco GP LE the "special edition"?

sooty
6th January 2012, 11:45 AM
Why compare manual to DSG too? Why not look at the manual golfs if you're looking at manual OPC's. Completely different cars

LittleRed1
6th January 2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah, err, no. A few extra pieces of jewelry and some eyeshadow doesn't really make it special. A bit of extra 'factory' horse power might.

It's this that I was referring to: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Renault-Megane-265-Trophy-2011-first-official-pictures/

Wraith
10th January 2012, 12:57 PM
so my car has been off finance for a few months now and im considering upgrading.
i have a 2007.5 manual sri astra 63k km

my choice is between the current mark6 vw gti OR should i wait till the opc gets confirmed or declined for aus and then make my decision

just the basic specs for both

2012 Astra OPC 206kW/ 400Nm - Manual
VW Golf GTI*155kW/*280Nm - DSG

any input will be valued greatly

The 2 car choice mentioned will be at 2 different price points, unless you are actually considering a Golf R ??

If that and transmission choice of a manual is no issue, IMO wait and get the AJ OPC - this vehicle sounds like it will set a new 'FWD' hot hatch standard and should come close if not match up to the Focus RS but in a much nicer and modern looking package and be much better equipped...should also cost alot less than the initial ask for the Focus RS.

Another serious choice (as others have pointed out) is the Megane RS250, they've just released a new limited edition - the Monaco RS250 which adds more kit to the existing model which makes it more like a Golf or the upcoming OPC in terms of interior trim levels, pricing is similar to the Golfs...

gmonkey
10th January 2012, 01:48 PM
the trim of the rs250 is better than the golf in cup form :p golf trim is rubbish

gman
10th January 2012, 03:05 PM
I have driven the Golf R and RS250. IMHO, the RS250 is the way to go unless you really want 4WD or love VW's (I love my VW).

The RS250 is simply the best hatch currently available IMHO...

Milesy
10th January 2012, 10:49 PM
Easy answer. Wait for the Astra GTC.

Contrary to what has been mentioned in other replies, the GTC is coming to Australia and so is the OPC version. You will be very disappointed next year if you buy a (boring) Golf now.

poita
10th January 2012, 10:52 PM
Easy answer. Wait for the Astra GTC.

Contrary to what has been mentioned in other replies, the GTC is coming to Australia and so is the OPC version. You will be very disappointed next year if you buy a (boring) Golf now.

That's what I said to start with!!

PaulyJ
11th January 2012, 09:15 AM
No one listens to you Pete...

I reckon leave your options open.
You're happy with wha you have now, leave it for a bit and see what the Opel's are like.
You'd hate to rush into something and then say "I should've..."

gman
11th January 2012, 01:40 PM
Sorry, did you say something, I wasn't listening.. :lol:

hazrd
11th January 2012, 01:45 PM
Sorry, did you say something, I wasn't listening.. :lol:

+1
Oh wait

What?

:p

My comments from earlier still stand!