PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, new CDTi owner...

Skunkwerks
16th December 2011, 10:52 PM
Im mean seriously, this turbo diesel is one of the best cars I have ever driven....

This is the beginning of a short 'hi there' before I start rooting around looking for info on turbo diesels on this forum, prob buy some bits etc and hang out for a while.....

Anyone else in Canberra??

guy 27
16th December 2011, 10:59 PM
Welcome to oa

faneca
16th December 2011, 11:01 PM
Welcome to OA!!

sooty
16th December 2011, 11:12 PM
Welcome, any questions just search, then ask away if it hasn't been covered

Ice
17th December 2011, 01:02 AM
welcome bud ! yep great car to drive especially with the crd-t fitted ;)

Bazwell
19th December 2011, 04:17 PM
Welcome to OA Skunkwerks!

Skunkwerks
21st December 2011, 06:57 PM
Now atleast I have a spare minute to write a proper post!

Bought the Astra from Holden dealership used cars, had only been there a little while. Has had New EGR, pads & disks, and alternator! Yay!

I noticed the 'Insp' on at start up, and a very slight puff after re-starting the car after driving (like going to shops)
Took it to the service guys and they found out the INSP was caused by an aftermarket ECU! Also the exhaust has been tinkered with, looks like 2.5 inch, and a high flow muffler at the back....
NOW I understand why it goes so well. The Holden service guys thought it was an absolute gun...
I think its a ripper package too. Ive owned heaps of cars, have built 6 engines, 2 complete conversions and a few ECU tunes, so I appreciate the tinkerage this has had.
It also has some black springs, same progressive rate, at least 2 inch drop, maybe more.
Plus some 15x6.5 5 spoke alloys, with 205's for grip.
Absolute ball of fun, also great on fuel too.

I'll get some pics up when I finish work.

Im betting that the previous owner was probably a forum member here too...
Any other modded white diesels in Canberra???

Dahlia
21st December 2011, 07:01 PM
Welcome!

guy 27
21st December 2011, 07:02 PM
Insp is the service light. Probably didn't get reset after last service. Do a search on here on how to clear it. Comes up before every 15k km service interval.

sooty
21st December 2011, 11:17 PM
Sounds like you've got DAP-R springs maybe, and possibly a tuning box, can you take a pic of the engine bay with the engine cover off?

JohnBu
22nd December 2011, 07:57 AM
Can't believe the Holden service guys didn't know INSP didn't stand for Inspection (due for service)

At least you know now it's not an issue whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Skunkwerks
22nd December 2011, 02:31 PM
Sure, will check it out.
Looks like the engine cover was damaged at one point, the drivers side is cracked, and there is gaffer tap and sikaflex holding it together!

Holden service crew says it has no right to go so well, they were shocked how quick it was!

ChrisMaz
22nd December 2011, 02:41 PM
Sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal mate.

Springs AND a tuning box. Both aren't exactly cheap!

Skunkwerks
23rd December 2011, 08:57 AM
Im pretty happy so far.
Only annoying thing is the error codes and engine light come up, I take it to the service dudes and they just say it becaus of the piggyback ecu. Had 3 codes yesterday,
Ive looked in the word .doc to see what they mean, didnt find all of them though. the service cre wiped it too, so I cant go back to re-check it!
Goes very well though, definitly underated. Only a tiny puff of smoke at hard take offs and going from 4 to 3 and booting it (auto too)

Can I ask, where is the ECU? Ive looked around a bit last night and couldnt find anything! Also have some pics with the eng cover off, but cant upload them here at work (shhhh!)

sooty
23rd December 2011, 10:08 AM
Im pretty happy so far.
Only annoying thing is the error codes and engine light come up, I take it to the service dudes and they just say it becaus of the piggyback ecu. Had 3 codes yesterday,
Ive looked in the word .doc to see what they mean, didnt find all of them though. the service cre wiped it too, so I cant go back to re-check it!
Goes very well though, definitly underated. Only a tiny puff of smoke at hard take offs and going from 4 to 3 and booting it (auto too)

Can I ask, where is the ECU? Ive looked around a bit last night and couldnt find anything! Also have some pics with the eng cover off, but cant upload them here at work (shhhh!)

Codes are for
1. Throttle actuator
2. ?
3. Electronic throttle control

Just sounds like due to the piggyback altering throttle inputs, they're now outside the prescribed levels meaning the stock ecu is cracking the sads

benzino
27th December 2011, 04:32 PM
out of interest, how much did you pay for the car?

might put the diesels on my list

Skunkwerks
28th December 2011, 08:50 PM
It was advertised for $14990, but got it for less than that after a bit of haggling :)

Well I found it, its a green box with a dial on the back behind a perspex window. Have removed it for the minute, to see if there was much difference.
Yep, definite difference!
Latest economy results (without green box):
44lt got us 710km, mixed highway and city running.

Have also looked at the Exhaust system, im not sure what the orig size was, but it seems 2.5 stainless is on it now..., and maybe the dump/front pipe is different.

Would be keen if anyone had any tips on adjusting the green box, im looking at turning it down a few notches!

sooty
28th December 2011, 09:01 PM
Depends on which greenbox, Eco 2 or Eco 3, does it have just a clock face, or letters like A and B too, anticlockwise generally turn them down. But it's a DTUK green from dieseltuninguk.

The exhaust isn't stainless from stock, but it's quite a large diam.

Skunkwerks
1st January 2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the reply,
It has Letters & Numbers, A,B,C, etc,

I'll have a crack now to see how it goes

sooty
1st January 2012, 06:39 PM
ABC means it's an eco3, going to the numbers should turn the box down from the letters IIRC

gravy258
2nd January 2012, 08:29 AM
It was advertised for $14990, but got it for less than that after a bit of haggling :)

is it a manual or auto ?

Skunkwerks
3rd January 2012, 11:19 AM
Ive pulled it out, disconnected battery, aboiut 2 weeks ago... just to see the difference.

Well its had starting issues before, now its really bad.
Has stalled HEAPS on decelleration, esp. at lights or roundabouts.
Took it to holden a few hours ago, they said it could be the diesel filter playing up in the 35deg heat, and also the low pressure pump may be having probs....

Skunkwerks
3rd January 2012, 11:22 AM
is it a manual or auto ?

That was for Auto, 107,000 km (seemed pretty good really, compared to national prices etc on carsales.com.au)

sooty
3rd January 2012, 11:36 AM
Ive pulled it out, disconnected battery, aboiut 2 weeks ago... just to see the difference.

Well its had starting issues before, now its really bad.
Has stalled HEAPS on decelleration, esp. at lights or roundabouts.
Took it to holden a few hours ago, they said it could be the diesel filter playing up in the 35deg heat, and also the low pressure pump may be having probs....

Check the motor near the passenger headlight corner for an oil leak, would be from the vac pump gasket and might be responsible. The leak would be right up the top of the motor so it's easy to see.

As for the DPF, it could be through running the box that you now have issues. DPF's do have a cleaning cycle to burn out the carbon they accumulate but I can't remember how or when that takes effect

gravy258
4th January 2012, 05:42 AM
the green box clogs up the DPF and eventually will kill it.
I was having a read about this on the UK forums. Apparently the crd-2 by DTUK is the only box with a map developed for DPF cars.

like this thread: http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=337940

Skunkwerks
4th January 2012, 11:51 AM
I will check again so we can confirm what box it actually is.
From memory on the cable there was a sticker, and 2009 was dated on it.
Also from memory, the dial had 1234567890ABCDEF or something like that.

sooty
4th January 2012, 11:55 AM
I will check again so we can confirm what box it actually is.
From memory on the cable there was a sticker, and 2009 was dated on it.
Also from memory, the dial had 1234567890ABCDEF or something like that.

DTUK CRD-T uses hard drive jumpers, not a dial, as does the CRD-2, they're also red boxes instead of green. It's definitely a DTUK Green Eco 3 that you have

Skunkwerks
4th January 2012, 12:15 PM
I thought that was the case, and its supposed to be OK for the DPF too.

I will hear form the service huys today, hopefully they unclogged a few sooty looking bits. Then the fun begins!

Skunkwerks
11th August 2012, 09:55 PM
120,000km on the ODO
Looking into getting a few service parts ready.
Any tips on acquiring the correct numbers for Water pump, timing belt, fuel filter, oil filter for the 8v auto??
Im really lost at looking at past threads and UK sites, some part numbers are jumbled up somewhere...

Also, have a baby on the way. We have decided we want the stock springs & shocks in it (and possibly wheels & tyres)
I need to find a full set, likely will be selling the existing set (or straight swap if possible)

chrissn89
12th August 2012, 06:32 PM
PM me your VIN and what part numbers your after and ill look it up for you mate. Enjoy the astra mate :-)