PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

LittleRed1
24th November 2011, 12:04 AM
Hi forum dwellers.

I just lost my '03 CDX to a nasty rear ender (while sitting at a red light). I was rather disappointed because it was a good one, in really nice condition.

To ease my pain, I should be taking possession of a nice '03 Convertible turbo on Friday. She's in pretty good condition as far as I can tell. There was a small ding on the rear panel, probably from a shopping trolley or something, but it's getting fixed before I pick it up. Really looking forward to a bit of power, and it's not a bad looker either. The leather will need some TLC, if anyone can recommend a good leather man on the Gold Coast I would really appreciate it.

This would be my fourth Opel/Vauxhall/Holden. Used a 2.0l Rekord in South Africa, a 2.0l Cavalier in UK and these two Astras. It is however, my first turbo, so I might be seeking some guidance on general checking and maintenance.

I have had some difficulty in locating an appropriate workshop manual for it. The Haynes one does not appear to include the convertible, and I'm not sure if the motor is covered. Is there any such publication out there?

I did manage to get my hands on a 1600+ page Astra G body repair manual, which does include the convertible. I feel this might come in handy at some point, but still need something on the drive-train and electrics.

Anyway, I am pleased to find a forum full of enthusiastic owners. I am sure we will share many words in the future.

guy 27
24th November 2011, 12:10 AM
Welcome to OA

metry
24th November 2011, 12:23 AM
welcome to oa. get some pics of your turbo up when you take delivery of it

03srit
24th November 2011, 12:36 AM
Welcome and enjoy the site :D

Dahlia
24th November 2011, 12:44 AM
Welcome to OA mate

btm
24th November 2011, 09:37 AM
howdy and welcome to the site!

LittleRed1
29th November 2011, 06:34 PM
Well, I still have not taken delivery of the car. Seems that the roof settings disappeared from the battery being disconnected for too long. The dealer has had to take it to Holden to get it re-set. Unsurprisingly, Holden came back to say that the catches needed replacing. So still another two or three days before I'll get it. Oh well, at least I'll know the roof is in good working condition. Better that the dealer has to deal with it, I'd not like the displeasure.

LittleRed1
21st December 2011, 02:23 AM
Finally have the car. Wow, what a pain. Turns out the car failed the roadworthy because of a roof problem.The dealer (auctioner) had to get it fixed, but tried to do it on the cheap through his auto electrician. He couldn't do it so it ended up going back to Holden. So now I don't have to worry about the roof failing for a while....huge bonus.

All in all the car is in pretty goo condition. Engine sounds and drives fine, drivetrain and bearings seem fine. There is a little steering wobble on braking, but I'm sure that will sort itself out when I get matching tires. The front rotors have also been recently skimmed which might be contributing.

The leather needs some TLC, the centre console is a little sticky and the steering wheel has a bunch of marks on it (presumably from a ring). I have had a quote from Fibrenew to make all like new for $720. Might just go for it too as I think it's worthwhile.

I have to say, I really love the extra power, and the balance is amazing for a turbo. It is such a pleasure to drive

I'll be giving it a full service next week, including a new belt as I don't see any record of it being replaced in the logs. I'll be using Nulon oil for the first time due to the recommendations on this and other forums, hopefully it lives up to it's reputation.

Some pics (sorry for the quality, cheap phone):

http://www.paulslore.com/opelaus/IMG_20111218_152126.resized.jpg

http://www.paulslore.com/opelaus/IMG_20111218_152147.resized.jpg

http://www.paulslore.com/opelaus/IMG_20111218_152229.resized.jpg

adam_92
21st December 2011, 04:17 AM
Very nice mate. You scored big time with the roof. Iirc there over $1000 to fix with labour and parts

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Ice
21st December 2011, 07:45 AM
Beautiful car and I hope it gives you many years of service!

The convertible engine is the same as the turbo hatch. Z20LET if im not mistaken. Im also sure someone here will be able to steer you in the right direction for getting cheap parts for a belt change aswell.

happy driving :)

LittleRed1
21st December 2011, 08:09 AM
I'm told the cost to the dealer for the roof was more like around the $2500 mark. From what I've read elsewhere it sounds about right.

The 2nd Womble
21st December 2011, 08:48 AM
I'm only a newbie myself but welcome to OA. They all seem a decent enough bunch:wink5:
Now, where did you get that body repair manual? Cough up!

LittleRed1
21st December 2011, 09:44 AM
Ah, the body repair manual. Well, I found it on a website somewhere in a series of over 1600 PDF files. I have since discovered that it looks like the pages are from the TIS2000 DVD, which I also have. If you don't know of the TIS software, it's a full series of workshop publications for the Opel range. Very useful indeed, especially since Haynes doesn't cover the convertible or the turbo. It's not as friendly as Haynes, but it'll do and it is very comprehensive. I would seriously recommend getting it if you plan to do any serious work.

Silver Surfer
21st December 2011, 04:52 PM
Welcome & Love your new ride!

ope11
21st December 2011, 06:34 PM
welcome to OA :)