PDA

View Full Version : Heya

ZomBie
11th November 2011, 06:08 PM
Hey All...... Recently picked up a TS Astra SRi to use as my "daily". Thought I'd join up here to see what others have been doing with them, and some ideas. Though the car will remain fairly stock, with some minor tweaks, as i already own another money pit.

The SRi's a nice car to drive, quiet, and a respectable amount of poke in the engine.

Only real gripe would be the "drive-by-wire" throttle. When I plant my right foot, I expect the engine to rev, not have the ecu spend a couple of seconds deciding how much throttle it thinks i need..... I kinda knew dbw would be a bit lagy, but didn't expect it to be 80yr Grandma lag.

So, I have couple of ques:
The throttle response seems to have improved a bit since i've been driving, which makes me ask:
1. Are the ecu's in these cars "adaptive", or
2. Have i adapted to the dbw and lag, or
3. Was the ecu possibly in limp mode, considering the car wasn't been driven for 6mths, and the battery + alternator recently replaced?

I've also seen that you can get the ecu re-flashed (powerchip i think it was). Anyone know if it improves the throttle response??? Or not worth the $900.

Cheers, Z.

sooty
11th November 2011, 06:40 PM
Welcome, the ECU's are adaptive :)

guy 27
11th November 2011, 06:44 PM
Welcome to OA.

Is your Sri a turbo or 2.2?

Dahlia
11th November 2011, 06:59 PM
Welcome!

btm
14th November 2011, 08:54 AM
howdy and welcome to the site!

Ice
14th November 2011, 10:24 AM
hey bud, welcome.

sounds like the car has some balls Guy so im guessing its a turbs :P

Hoss
14th November 2011, 11:37 AM
Welcome to OA

ZomBie
14th November 2011, 12:56 PM
Thanx all.
And nope, it's only a bog stock 2.2L. So not a ball tearer, but the the midrange in-gear acceleration is more than i was expecting from it.

guy 27
14th November 2011, 01:09 PM
To improve throttle response. Add a vxr intake scoop. Deristrict the airbox and port and polish the throttle body.
As far as remapping. Don't bother. Do you really want to pay that much for a 5hp gain?

Ice
14th November 2011, 04:12 PM
you could try a pedal box.....

http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113513

speak to a guy called ABYSS after you register. worth the small amount of money to join as youll get plenty of info from there also and should you decide to buy it will get a discount. and its alot more affordable than the remap.

metry
14th November 2011, 07:59 PM
welcome to oa mate. throw some pics up of your ride

ZomBie
15th November 2011, 02:00 PM
Guy: Thanx for suggestions, some fairly simple mods. As for remapping, it's not so much the hp gain i'd be after, as i agree it's pointless remapping a stock engine. I'd only do it if I knew for certain that throttle response would improve.

Ice: Will look into it. Cheers.