PDA

View Full Version : When to change tyres?

R3N
19th November 2004, 09:37 PM
As the title... how do you know when you need new tyres? No smart ass remarks like "when it blows" or "when you get new rims"

What is the legal minimum allowance for thread? And what simple method/test to use to make sure your tyres are legal?

I'm still on the tyres I bought my car with 2nd hand, I think the front ones have been changed but not sure when, just curious if I need to get them changed soon cos I know I definitely need to get them aligned because of some left-ward pulling

Degen-Astra
19th November 2004, 11:18 PM
There are little arrows on the side wall of your tyre. Locate one...run your finger over the tread pattern of the tyre from that arrow. In the big straight grooves there will be a little bump which is basically the tread wear indicator. If the tread has worn to this level of the bump, time for new tyres.

Degen-Astra
20th November 2004, 02:17 PM
Also...just noticed on the Pirelli's i run it has the letters "TWI" (Tread Wear Indicator) instead of the arrow.

mcintyre
20th November 2004, 09:36 PM
Over here in the UK the minimum legal requirement is 1.6mm of tread. But, even though there was still plenty of tread on them I insisted my g/f had new tyres on her car a couple of months back as the car was still on the original tyres it had from new (it's a 3 year old Seat Ibiza btw) and most tyre manufacturers recommend that tyres are changed at least every 2 years, regardless of tread remaining as the rubber ages and perishes. My g/f's tyres had gone Grey!!

anicorsa
20th November 2004, 11:07 PM
On the Michelins, its the little michelin man instead of the arrow.