PDA

View Full Version : Engine washing

Barina@19
1st November 2011, 09:05 PM
I like our cars clean inside and out and in the engine bay, so before I go to the local high pressure car wash what should I cover up in the engine bay of the XC 1.8 Barina engine bay ie we had lots of warning lights that were on when we bought it and now they have been finally extinguished after lots of DIY effort and a few $$$'s

adam_92
1st November 2011, 09:18 PM
leave the engine running and you should be fine. the main problems people have is when they turn the engine off and it gets into electrics etc but if the engine is still running the water dries quicker and doesnt get into as much as with the engine off

Barina@19
1st November 2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks for that. Most of the dirt, dust and grime is on the gearbox casing and engine cover.

Neeko
2nd November 2011, 12:55 PM
Buy yourself some degreaser from supercheap, spray it on and leave it for a minute or 2. Then pressure wash away, trying to avoid the electrics of course.

metry
3rd November 2011, 10:04 PM
when i cleaned the engine bay in my lancer i just put plastic bags over the dizzy, carby etc

SxySri
3rd November 2011, 10:30 PM
Keep the water away from the spark plugs, I washed mine and water must have been sitting around the rubber seals. Then I was driving through the city and it leaked in and stopped on of my plugs firing, lets just say it wasnt a fun night :(

TUFF
10th November 2011, 08:51 AM
If you use a good degreaser you shouldnt have to concentrate on any area long enough to cause damage, i have been high pressure washing engine bays etc for years and only ever had problems with 1 of my cars, an old Torana, water leaked in around the spark plugs so had to pull them all blow them off with compressed air and put them back in.