PDA

View Full Version : Brock's Energy Polariser is Back!!

poita
16th October 2011, 09:37 AM
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/polariser-hdt-drawn-together-again-20111014-1lnx0.html

eter Brock's most controversial invention will live on in a modern-day tribute, writes Steve Colquhoun.

THE Polariser is back. The controversial box of crystals and magnets that was claimed to make cars drive better - and caused the late Peter Brock to acrimoniously sever his ties with Holden in 1987 - will be part of a retro pack designed for Holden Commodores that will be launched next week under the HDT brand that the racing legend founded.

It is the first time the so-called ''Energy Polariser'' will be officially installed in a car since the late 1980s. It is the latest in a series of tribute packs developed by HDT, the tuning house that Brock ultimately lost control of in 1987 amid a furore over his insistence on fitting the Polariser to the high-performance VL Commodores that HDT tuned.

HDT, which was wound back until the name was purchased just after Brock's 2006 death by friend and car collector Peter Champion, is now re-creating the popular HDT VL Group A car with a package of extras that can be added to a current-model Commodore SS or SS-V. Queensland-based mining magnate Champion owns the largest collection of Brock memorabilia and racing cars, including a dedicated museum in Yeppoon, near Rockhampton

Advertisement: Story continues below

He says his good friend would have approved of the re-creation of the famed HDT VL Group A car with the Plus Pack, a term that in 1987 denoted the inclusion of the cigarette packet-sized Polariser in the engine bay together with a special sticker - or ''aerial'', as it was called - on the rear window.

''I think Brock would be absolutely thrilled,'' he says. ''If he was here, he would be in there boots and all. We spoke many times about getting control of HDT and he even did some drawings for me. It's just a shame he didn't live to see this.''

Champion won't offer a personal endorsement on the supposed ability of the Polariser to align and harness a car's natural energies, improving its performance.

''All I'll say is that I've never driven a VL that wasn't fitted with the Plus Pack and every VL I've driven has been a beautiful car to drive,'' he says.

Brock's long-time partner, Bev Brock, was involved in building the original Polariser along with the racing legend and their ''spiritual adviser'' of the time, Dr Eric Dowker.

Bev Brock has assembled a new set of Polarisers that will be installed in HDT's limited run of 250 retro VL Commodores.

HDT will take a customer-supplied Commodore SS or SS-V and, for $43,000, tweak the 6.0-litre V8 engine out to 350kW and 610Nm (from 270kW/530Nm), as well as add HDT-tuned Bilstein suspension, special paintwork, Group A body styling, a retro-inspired interior, 20-inch wheels and tyres and, of course, the Polariser.

Vectracious
16th October 2011, 09:49 AM
hehehe read this in drive yesterday. First VK Gp A Blueys, now the Polariser, next will be burgundy Gp A's

poita
16th October 2011, 10:07 AM
Love how its an extra $43k on top of an SS, like seriously wtf!!

Vectracious
16th October 2011, 10:09 AM
those crystals must be diamonds

hazrd
16th October 2011, 10:12 AM
Love how its an extra $43k on top of an SS, like seriously wtf!!

1k of mods. 42k of polariser

Vectracious
16th October 2011, 10:26 AM
Bev has run out of money - so Polariser is back.

/cynicism
/probable truth

Wraith
16th October 2011, 12:03 PM
Geez....

When will this thing ever stay dead and buried :facepalm2:

benzino
16th October 2011, 02:00 PM
oh god, not again...

you know a car maker is clutching at straws when they have a spiritual advisor