PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood to sue Exetel customers

poita
4th October 2011, 10:43 PM
Another step for the major movie companies to combat piracy.

http://extratorrent.com/article.php?id=1636&name=hollywood+will+sue+australian+file+sharers&

One of the Australian’s largest Internet service providers released a report, saying that thousands of the citizens will soon be accused of a crime by the Hollywood studios and demanded to settle for undisclosed amount or go to court. The “commercial invoicing” model is similar to what the Hollywood employs in other parts of the globe: some law company collaborates with a movie, music or game studios that don’t care what people think of them. With the help of a dubious bit of IP address harvesting applications, the copyright owner obtains something it claims are the real identities from Internet service providers. After this it’s only a matter of threatening to sue for an outstanding amount of money while “kindly” providing the offer to settle for less.

John Linton, head of the Australian’s Internet service provider Exetel revealed that the company had been approached by American movie distributor Lightning Entertainment. The copyright holder had a list of 150 IP addresses from which someone was sharing their film titled "Kill The Irishman". The same company is targeting nine thousand Australian-based copyright infringements.

Meanwhile, Lightning Entertainment uses a front firm to extort money from suspected violators under the name of Movie Rights Group. The latter’s employees are actually not talking about who they are, while their domain name is anonymised. However, it is known that there is someone named Gordon Walker, the outfit’s vice president of sales and marketing, who had said the web is the “ultimate unkillable beast”. Nevertheless, the Movie Rights Group represents a “commercial solution” to what the copyright owners had previously seen as a legal problem. Gordon Walker explained that one needs police on the information superhighway. Considering the fact the government would not go that far, it would be only up to Hollywood studios. According to his comparison, if one is pulled over by a traffic cop, he kind of expects that the latter has evidence that one has been speeding rather than simply pulls over the drivers that are slow enough to be caught.

hazrd
4th October 2011, 10:51 PM
interesting read
the need for anonymous IP's become greater, as big brother can watch just about anything now

ChrisMaz
4th October 2011, 11:03 PM
Movie companies have been watching the swarm of torrents for years. This is quite strange considering they usually just email the individual user to cease and desist.

Dahlia
5th October 2011, 07:01 AM
They can't prove anything from an ip address. What's stopping me from saying, "no I don't have a wifi password, didn't know you could have one, I guess people have been stealing my Internet". Unless they have proof of you Downloading their shit, **** em.

gmonkey
5th October 2011, 10:53 AM
They can't prove anything from an ip address. What's stopping me from saying, "no I don't have a wifi password, didn't know you could have one, I guess people have been stealing my Internet". Unless they have proof of you Downloading their shit, **** em.

they just check your computer to prove it :p

lonewolf1983
5th October 2011, 11:01 AM
this is why I'm with IInet, hasnt bowed to pressure from the RIAA etc to release contact/account details about their clients to them.
Hopefully the court appeal quashes the appeal.

Dahlia
5th October 2011, 11:16 AM
they just check your computer to prove it :p
Oh shit, sorry officer, my computer hdd died and I had to replace it, my bad.

gman
5th October 2011, 07:38 PM
Oh shit, sorry officer, my computer hdd died and I had to replace it, my bad.

Simple...Use an over write program to remove personal information. There are a number that write random 1's and 0's over nominated sectors.

poita
5th October 2011, 09:07 PM
Drill bit works pretty good too ;)

Sent from Diagon Alley

poita
5th October 2011, 10:58 PM
this is why I'm with IInet, hasnt bowed to pressure from the RIAA etc to release contact/account details about their clients to them.
Hopefully the court appeal quashes the appeal.

not yet......

http://extratorrent.com/article.php?id=1639&name=australian+isp+case+continues&

ChrisMaz
6th October 2011, 02:03 AM
Or just use a peer blocker.

Dahlia
6th October 2011, 08:38 AM
Drill bit works pretty good too ;)

Sent from Diagon Alley
I'd love to see you try and explain yourself with that one haha.
"Oh my bad officer, I was trying to hang a picture next to my computer and I slipped." haha

poita
6th October 2011, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the forum

glider
6th October 2011, 09:55 PM
or try usenet

is a server based system instead of p2p

Dahlia
9th October 2011, 07:57 AM
or try usenet

is a server based system instead of p2p
I like using http://tvshowsapp.com/ which downloads torrents automatically for you. Too awesome.
(Don't worry, no torrents or illegal downloads in that link :) )

dutchy
9th October 2011, 09:15 AM
I'm all in favour of legal action. If you want a movie, or music, pay for it !

Dahlia
9th October 2011, 10:54 AM
I'm all in favour of legal action. If you want a movie, or music, pay for it !
The best thing about downloading is getting to see TV shows that are from overseas that aren't available here in Australia. I haven't turned my foxtel box on in over 12mnths haha.