PDA

View Full Version : Quick Car Question

benzino
2nd October 2011, 11:48 PM
Looking at a mk4 golf gti for the missus

www.ebay.com.au/itm/volkswagon-golf-gti-TURBO-VIC-P-PLATE-LEGAL-/160658218720?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2567f9dee0

anyone have any experience with them?
it's got a pretty fresh rebuild and turbo so I assume the mechanical side of things will be ok
it doesn't have a BOV or a cannon which is a good sign :lol:

nick_sixx
3rd October 2011, 01:48 AM
Pretty slow for a GTI. I'd be looking at the bora V6 4-motion. A much nicer car for the same price, with AWD goodness

benzino
3rd October 2011, 02:08 AM
the golf is tempting due to it being local and the fresh rebuild + turbo

she would also prefer a hatch

she wanted a subie but i've kind of talked her out of it seeing as though they are all thrashed out at that price point and maintenance is a bitch on the boxer engine

Vectracious
3rd October 2011, 07:40 AM
As nicksixx said, the Mk IV are not quick at all for a turbo, but the interior and general build quality on the mk iv's is generally considered to be better than the V.

Sent from the MAGI.

nick_sixx
3rd October 2011, 10:54 AM
My family has had 2 Mk5's, both of which have pretty bad build quality, but the TDI has been the worst - i.e. the coating on the interior trims has started to peel after only 5 years, quite a number of creaks and groans from the dash, the battery has completely gone about 3 times, MAF sensor has gone once. They also used the worst possible brake pads from factory...the wheels are covered in dust after about 100m of braking.

I much prefer the Mk4's and after looking at the Bora's for my brother (he has been interested in buying one for a while), I can say that they hold up MUCH better.

Anyway, if you can get the Golf for under 10k that would be ok. 200,000 is a lot of K's for that price though

benzino
3rd October 2011, 01:46 PM
yeah, well didn't manufacturing for the mk5s go to Brazil?

my partner's car has nearly 350k on the clock so 200k will be an upgrade! lol
and with the rebuild it doesn't really bother me

I guess going for an inspection will tell me more, and I'll try not to get too distracted by the turbo... hahahaha

dutchy
3rd October 2011, 07:23 PM
Those are a lot of k's for that car. I personally would try to find something with less k's. Why spend so much money on a rebuilt only to sell it 15k later ...........? If you really want it, take it for an inspection first and also have a compression test done.

benzino
4th October 2011, 02:00 PM
went to look at it yesterday
apparently he bought it just after it had it's rebuild so I'm guessing he paid $9 or 10k for it with the fresh rebuild

it was a really clean car, it only had a couple of carpark scratches (really obvious when VW uses white undercoat under a black car!)

the only problem with it was that the starter wasn't disengaging straight away so there was a couple of seconds of grinding when the car was started
i google'd it and seems to be a common problem and the starter just needs to be re-greased

it drove fine... slow for a turbo as you all said :D
it was about as punchy as my car but 100x better quality (recaro's are nice! lol)

if it sells on ebay then it wasn't meant to be but if it doesn't I'll go have a closer look at it and get a pre-purchase inspection done

oh forgot to mention it has a remus exhaust too :o