PDA

View Full Version : My 2003 TS City needs to go the emergency department

rwy16r
2nd October 2011, 06:31 PM
after doing timing belt kit change (@ 119k) and coil pack and Air flow meter and spark plugs ( 122k) and oil change service, everything seemed great for about 1 month.

Then I decided to put Nulon 300ml of fuel injector cleaner after a full tank of Petrol (yesterday) and i am now getting random and occasional engine stall in idle and when accelerating (i got one stall , lost power and car turned off and the spanner light started flashing).

I read on this forum for Pedal Test: results are 0606 code 10 flashes , 6 , 10, then. 6. and another not sure 1 7 0 9 .

my question is my ECU going to die?

Can any one shed some light?

dutchy
3rd October 2011, 06:21 PM
P0606 - Control Module Internal Performance
1709 is unknown to me. Not sure either what the first code means. When I first put that same cleaner in years ago, my O2 sensors were bust rigth after that. You might just want to take them out and clean them to see if that works. Keep filling tank with fresh petrol to dillute the nulon stuff. Can't help any further.

dutchy
3rd October 2011, 07:01 PM
P1709 PNP Switch Out Of Self Test Range

but don't know what that means.Is it an automatic ?

Feelinlucky75
3rd October 2011, 07:08 PM
Yup its park or neutral position switch out of range

rwy16r
3rd October 2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks dutchy and feelinlucky75 , I really appreciate this info.

My car is a Manual. I will keep diluting BP Ultimate petrol and hope it fixes this random stalling.

The first ever stall happened after I put Nulon injector cleaner in petrol tank , the car was in idle and I was working on washer jet replacement. Then I started the car up and all was good and great.

A day later the car started ok and was warmed up for about 5 minutes then I drove for 2 minutes and I put the car in 3rd gear and I started feeling loss of power and the stall ( it felt like it had no petrol).

Then today I drove the car all day with no problems and I was parked and car was idling at home then I get the third stall.

I think I need to get it checked at either Holden or my local mechanic who I know very well (he is very positive about my Astra but his father does not like them)

when it comes to cars, I know how to change oil and spark plugs and easy jobs but how do I dare play with O2 sensors?

Renatom
3rd October 2011, 10:34 PM
Rwy16r, do not forget to change the oil and filter after this. Cleaner fluids usually takes part of the dirt removed to the oil. Also, it could be the reason for an unespected contamination of O2 sensors (as decribed by dutchy).

JohnBu
4th October 2011, 09:00 AM
I decided to put Nulon 300ml of fuel injector cleaner after a full tank of Petrol (

I hate when this happens, you think you're doing something good for the car, but it does the opposite.

I went to the Nulon webpage http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Fuel_Treatments/Petrol_Injector_Cleaner/ and this is what I found "For normal cleaning - add 100ml per 50 litres of fuel"

It seems you put in more than 3 times the recommended amount.

I'd continue to dilute the petrol so it reduces the concentration in your fuel.

Injector cleaner is basically a solvent.

I'm not sure

rwy16r
4th October 2011, 06:24 PM
You are dead right or spot on, JohnBu, I actually read the directions and I was going to put 100ml as I had full fuel tank=52litres but I was in two minds, what convinced me was a vague sentence on the back of the bottle quote" If the system is very fouled or dirty, doubling the treat rate will provide a quicker cleaning result, if required" plus this note: Note: Over-treatment will not cause damage.

I had a gut feeling that if I put the whole bottle I am going have fuel that is not 100 percent petrol, but I trusted Nulon.

I started the car this morning @ 6.30am sydney and the car stalled after 1 minute, I tried to start the car again twice but no luck and spanner light flashed agressively, so I waited 2 minutes and the car started ok and I was able to drive 16 km and all day with no probs.

So what I am doing now is trying to burn all the fuel by doing a lot of mileage and hoping I get some confidence in my beloved Astra.

rwy16r
6th October 2011, 07:59 AM
have not had a stall in two days , hopefully it stays that way, next step is to clean the Throttle body to hopefully reduce rough idle and minor engine vibration.

dutchy
7th October 2011, 12:03 AM
it'll take a while before all of the nulon stuff is gone. keep filling up your tank to dilute it. You still might want to clean your O2 sensors.

rwy16r
7th October 2011, 04:59 AM
you are right dutchy, it will take a while, I had a stall yesterday at the lights and I had to wait 3 minutes before it started again. I will Keep diluting and my Astra needs a mechanic.

rwy16r
7th October 2011, 08:18 AM
booked it with my local mechanic, it will be scanned for error codes and hopefully it is not costly.

rwy16r
7th October 2011, 04:01 PM
looks like it only stalls when engine is cold

rwy16r
10th October 2011, 09:29 AM
was plugged into a scanner today at the mechanic and the bloody ECU is faulty, will have to get a second opinion. at only 113k the ECU does not seem to last that long!!!!

dutchy
10th October 2011, 09:35 AM
was plugged into a scanner today at the mechanic and the bloody ECU is faulty, will have to get a second opinion. at only 113k the ECU does not seem to last that long!!!!

Yeah, get a second opinion as that sounds a bit too coincidental after putting nulon cleaner in.

rwy16r
10th October 2011, 10:37 AM
if it is the ECU, I am hoping it is under warranty when I bought the car from a car dealer ( who only gave me a basic warranty for 3 years and it still has 1.5 year to go).

JohnBu
10th October 2011, 11:28 AM
If it's under warranty, then I'll be taking it back to the dealer and asking them to diagnose and fix it.

rwy16r
10th October 2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks JohnBu I will ring dealer then.

rwy16r
11th October 2011, 02:30 PM
I have an appointment next week with the warranty people and they reckon it could be Cam angle sensor or crank angle sensor ( i am not sure which one they said) and it is not covered by my basic warranty I might have to fork out $200. Could this be reasonable?

dutchy
12th October 2011, 09:02 AM
I do hope for your sake that it's those sensors but if they were faulty, they would throw up another code.

rwy16r
12th October 2011, 03:39 PM
I rang warranty dealer and asked them if the ECU is covered and the answer is no so I might as well take it to Bebco Automotive in Auburn NSW to get a full diagnosis.
if the ECU is gone, They (Bebco) quoted me a whopping $550 programmed plus full Diagnosis around $160 while WESTERN CARCARE GROUP PTY LTD ( warranty People) quoted me a mega $900.

This whats is covered under WESTERN CARCARE GROUP PTY LTD:

Essential Plan:: ……………… Purchase Price $1500 or more
This coverage is available on a vehicle if:

The purchase price is $1,500.00 or more.
The vehicle has a current Safety Certificate.
The vehicle is mechanically sound at time of delivery to the contract holder.
The vehicle is currently registered with the relevant government department.

There is no vehicle age limit or kilometre limit on Essential Plan.
There is no limit on the number of claims within the term of the warranty.
There is no limit on the kilometres the vehicle travels during the term of the warranty.

The maximum claim limit for any one claim is as follows:

There is a claim limit of up to $1,000.00 per claim.
The total value of claims made is not to exceed the purchase price of the vehicle.
See PAGE 3 for items covered.

PLEASE NOTE
This warranty does not cover oil, water or fuel leaks or damage caused by corrosion, water
submersion, owner neglect, abuse, contaminated fuels or additives, overheating or lack of oil,
water or coolants.

Essential Plan | COVERED ITEMS

ENGINE: ……………… Up to $1,000 per claim
The following internal engine parts:
Pistons, piston rings, cylinder sleeves, main bearings, con rod bearing, oil pump, push rods,
camshaft bearings, camshaft and crankshaft (specifically excluding harmonic balancer, damaged
or worn key-way). Cylinder block and head only if damaged by failure of any of the above covered
components.

TRANSMISSION: ……………… Up to $1,000 per claim
All the internally lubricated components contained within the transmission, including the
torque convertor (specifically excluding solenoids, burnt or worn friction plates).
DIFFERENTIAL: ……………… Up to $1,000 per claim
All the internally lubricated components (specifically excluding axles, drive shafts, wheel
bearings, burnt or worn friction plates).

COOLING: ……………… Up to $1,000 per claim
Water pump: Impeller shaft, bearings, bushes

ELECTRICAL: ……………… Up to $1,000 per claim>
Starter motor, alternator, voltage regulator, windscreen wiper motor

BRAKES: ……………… Up to $1,000 per claim
Master cylinder, power booster, steel brake lines

CLUTCH: ……………… Up to $1,000 per claim
Master cylinder, slave cylinder

SUSPENSION: ……………… Up to $1,000 per claim
Sway bar, torsion bar, front & rear springs.

I don't think my prob is under any of the above.

rwy16r
17th October 2011, 04:19 PM
it was found to be the ECU is sick, so the credit card will take a big beating tomorrow to pay for this apparently brand new Original Holden ECU with "an updated version".

rwy16r
19th October 2011, 07:19 AM
New Holden ECU installed (apparently not reconditioned although I had that option) No more stalling so far (fingers crossed). only two years warranty on the brand new ECU, apparently ECU getting fried is one of the most common problem on our TS Astra as it is mounted next to the engine and the Australian climate is just too hot unlike Europe, so felow astra owners stock up on your ECU for a rainy day.

hazrd
19th October 2011, 07:44 AM
yep, common fault for the X18XE motors unfortunately. My TS City has a warranty that covers the ECU upto $1250 so I "should" be alright. Once my 3 year warranty is up, ill start hunting ebay for a spare ECU just in case (providing i dont end up selling the car first)

Another thing you can do to prevent the ECU from going kaput is wrapping it in something heat resistant aswell.

glad to know you got it sorted at least.

rwy16r
20th October 2011, 07:40 AM
Lucky you hazrd, when I bought the car I was offered to buy a higher level of warranty but I thought the basic warranty was enough, it would have been so good if I had that higher warranty that covered the ECU (cost me $825). but I guess now the New ECU should last a few years hopefully.

The car now runs good with slight rough idling and the throttle body was cleaned with new spark plugs.
(http://www.opelaus.com/forums/member.php?1710-hazrd)

hazrd
20th October 2011, 07:52 AM
if you continue to get rough idling, look at changing the coilpack aswell ;) can get a genuine second hand one from a wreckers locally for around $100 or a brand new one from autovaux in the UK for around the same price if you are willing to wait for it

rwy16r
20th October 2011, 08:55 AM
I forgot to say I had already installed an ebay aftermarket coilpack, may be th o2 sensors or the spark plugs are too powerfull ;) as they are Bosch fusion and since I insatalled them, when I start the car I can feel the engine really wake up/jump / feels like the engine is getting too much spark as there are 4 electrodes on each spark. may be I should go back to NGK two electrodes

rwy16r
22nd October 2011, 07:33 AM
I was just looking at my shiny brand new ECU the other day and wanted to feel it, so I touched it and my Lord it was hot, the question was, this ECU is like a computer CPU (it has a chip!??) and was wondering, have these ECUs got like a Heatsink like a CPU?

Mr & Mrs Vectra
13th December 2011, 04:55 PM
yep, common fault for the X18XE motors unfortunately

I concur on the ECU failures here in the Aussie heat, and not just in the X18. Our C22SEL has had a replacement after it fried itself when we were living with 40-45degree daily temps. 'Twas running on two cyls during those trouble shooting days just prior.

Also, I've put 200ml of the Nulon cleaner into a tank in the V6...No probs.

faneca
24th July 2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry bout the thread revival, bit this code has popped up on my white Astra.... Z18xe engine, haven't had any issues when I have had the car, my brother's gf said she was driving it once and it stalled on her, only happened once and that was a month ago... What can I do to check it out and fix before forking out for a ecu