PDA

View Full Version : SRI turbo/VXR or SRI 2.2 Direct Injection

maxrpm
2nd October 2011, 03:12 AM
Ok,

the list has narrowed to the value for money models for comfort, interior and zippyness.

as a previous owner of zippy front wheel bum dragger i am no fan of turbo fwd cars anymore. i like the linearity of the NA cars now. i have also noted a drop in front driveline repair bills with the CDXi we have. However.....i do miss the turbo shove in the back power, but i dont miss the tyre frying 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear torque steer and involuntary lane change antics. for me the 2.2 direct is the only option. from what i have read its only 15NM down on torque compared with the turbo.

so i want to cast out the question to my fellow members, which one would have best cost effectiveness over a 3-4 year period considering, insurance, upkeep and fuel ecnomony not to mention fun factor and looks.

i like the option of the 2.0 litre turbo 4 and with that shove in the back wheni feel like it at the twitch of the right foot, however i like the care free driving of the 2.2 with its fuel and power efficient direct injection motor.

decision decisions.

ChrisMaz
2nd October 2011, 04:10 AM
2.0T or VXR gets my vote. Easy to tune, whack an LSD in it, and you'll fall even more in love.
Sure the 2.2's fine, but the turbos hands down for fun.

Shay
2nd October 2011, 04:14 AM
Id get the turbo.

hazrd
2nd October 2011, 06:12 AM
The way u describe ur question its like u want both lol

Power and fuel consumption just do not work in the same sentence. Nor just cheap insurance !

I have the 2.2 and I love it. But I only love it because when I want that kick in the pants feeling (which I don't get in the 2.2) I hop into my other (FWD turbo) car.

They are both par on fuel consumption. I can get nearly 700kms on the highway in the 2.2 but I hear the 2.0t is pretty much the same

Insurance, well that's obvious. It's just upto wether u want to pay it.

Personally, id go the 2.0t if you don't have another car with that kick in the pants feeling otherwise you will get bored very quickly.

benzino
2nd October 2011, 06:23 AM
+1 for kick

the car can be slow but as long as there is the kick, it's addictive and will give you a smile (my opinion...)

chrissn89
2nd October 2011, 01:01 PM
2L turbo gets my vote. Vxr if you can afford it. The 2.2 will feel normal compared to the turbo motor which has great punch and responses great to tuning.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

kabel
2nd October 2011, 05:24 PM
Having owned a 2.2 Astra G only I cannot comment on the AH.
I have had a VXR since 2006 and would not go back to the 2.2.

maxrpm
2nd October 2011, 06:21 PM
Hello all,

many many thanks and keep the info coming, i am still weighn things up with availability as well as i have only spied 1 turbo for sale thats decent year and mileage but i have 3 to 4 2.2 DI to choose from and these also include eastern states cars as well. i find the 2.2 are more common on the ground than the turbos which tells me either of 2 things, they are a pain in the ass to keep or they ar so damn good they are snapped up quickly.

out of the turbo owners how much problems have you guys have had since owenership regarding, exhaust studs, driveline issues ie cvs etc. i mean a turbo is a turbo and is predisposed to a higher level of maintenance inherently than an NA.

part of me wants the 2.2 but the performace part of me wants the turbo but i keep getting reminded by the issues i had with the mx6 turbo. granted they are a different animal all together.

my budget is not up to the VXR level and even if it were it would have to be interstate as there arent any in WA.

hazrd
2nd October 2011, 06:25 PM
Steer clear of the 2006 AH turbos if you can. They had gearbox issues iirc

maxrpm
2nd October 2011, 06:51 PM
Steer clear of the 2006 AH turbos if you can. They had gearbox issues iirc

good advice thanks mate. wouldn have had the foggiest in that respect. what was the issue of the gearboxes..? weak synchros, oil control, selectors..?

JohnBu
2nd October 2011, 09:43 PM
If you need 4 door get the 2.2.

Turbo if 2 door.

Drive both before you decide.

The 2.0t with it's smallish turbo doesn't have the lag and then torque steering boost of old on/off turbos.

Every euro manufacturer is going low boost turbo for drivability.

As for problems, after 176k, i've only had one CV boot & radiator + 2 coolant expansion tanks replaced.

The rest has been maintenance, i.e. Correct mineral oil & filter change every 7.5km.

Still original turbo & exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrissn89
2nd October 2011, 10:03 PM
No issues with my turbo in the 3 years and 60,000km I've owned it regular servicing for me i do every 5,000km fully sin oil and filter. Only replaced wear and tear items its been a great pleasure owning mine. Mine is re-mapped, 3" BTE, and FMIC and all the other bits and bobs.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

gmonkey
3rd October 2011, 11:55 AM
2.2 Astra H not worth it to be honest, not very quick compared to even the 1.8vvt ... get the TURBO!..

GreyRex
3rd October 2011, 12:53 PM
I've never ever had a single gearbox issue with mine... and mine is for sale

Wraith
3rd October 2011, 01:04 PM
Ok,

the list has narrowed to the value for money models for comfort, interior and zippyness.

as a previous owner of zippy front wheel bum dragger i am no fan of turbo fwd cars anymore. i like the linearity of the NA cars now. i have also noted a drop in front driveline repair bills with the CDXi we have. However.....i do miss the turbo shove in the back power, but i dont miss the tyre frying 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear torque steer and involuntary lane change antics. for me the 2.2 direct is the only option. from what i have read its only 15NM down on torque compared with the turbo.

so i want to cast out the question to my fellow members, which one would have best cost effectiveness over a 3-4 year period considering, insurance, upkeep and fuel ecnomony not to mention fun factor and looks.

i like the option of the 2.0 litre turbo 4 and with that shove in the back wheni feel like it at the twitch of the right foot, however i like the care free driving of the 2.2 with its fuel and power efficient direct injection motor.

decision decisions.

Hmmm, based simply on what you've writren above and not going with personal choice like everyone else seems to have done the simple answer is to get yourself the 2.2 N/A variant...

You state that you've already had something along the lines of a FWD turbo and your now over it all things considered, so just get the AH 2.2, or other similar vehicle...:)

BEK-46P
3rd October 2011, 05:57 PM
Not sure where the idea that the 2.2 Direct is 'fuel-economical' came from.

My 2.2 is currently averaging 10.4L/100km.

maxrpm
3rd October 2011, 07:08 PM
i would say the economy aspect would be given the size of the motor and how much power it produces comparable to a non DI 2.2, possibly.

so its 50/50 with gearbox issues on the turbo.

ideally something with thats later than 07 model pref 2008 onwards with 60-80thou ks.

right now in perth its a buyers market as there are so many good deals just noone to buy them and no decent turbos.

thanks again for the input fellow members, will need to put the thinking cap on and maybe exercise some patience.

guy 27
3rd October 2011, 07:13 PM
If your after an everyday type of car go the 2.2. Just bear in mind there isn't much out there tuning wise for it if you wanted more power.
The turbo will give roughly the same fuel economy and has the option to easily tune if wanted.

Like someone said though 2.2 is either 3 or 5 door while the turbo is 3dr only.

Servicing they are much and much but the 2.2 will be slightly less in the long run.

If I was to get an ah it would be a turbo.

kabel
3rd October 2011, 09:33 PM
Hello all,

many many thanks and keep the info coming, i am still weighn things up with availability as well as i have only spied 1 turbo for sale thats decent year and mileage but i have 3 to 4 2.2 DI to choose from and these also include eastern states cars as well. i find the 2.2 are more common on the ground than the turbos which tells me either of 2 things, they are a pain in the ass to keep or they ar so damn good they are snapped up quickly.

out of the turbo owners how much problems have you guys have had since owenership regarding, exhaust studs, driveline issues ie cvs etc. i mean a turbo is a turbo and is predisposed to a higher level of maintenance inherently than an NA.

part of me wants the 2.2 but the performace part of me wants the turbo but i keep getting reminded by the issues i had with the mx6 turbo. granted they are a different animal all together.

my budget is not up to the VXR level and even if it were it would have to be interstate as there arent any in WA.
Five years of ownership and no issues with anything at all.
Servicing is no more expensive than my Polo GTi and is certainly cheaper than the Audi A3 2.0T I bought for my Mrs.
In fact even with extensive modifications I stll get better economy from the VXR (under 9.0l/100km) than the Audi.
PS
I have NO intention of selling mine :-)

maxrpm
3rd October 2011, 09:53 PM
hmm starting to lean one way, I now need to test drive the turbo :-)

kabel
3rd October 2011, 09:59 PM
Two private sales here.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?Cr=2&R=11375471&keywords=&trecs=3&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__sid=132CBC9795F2&__Nne=15&__Qpb=1&seot=1&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965856 4294965857 4294921535 1527 904&silo=1011

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=1&R=11394788&keywords=&trecs=3&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__sid=132CBC9795F2&__Nne=15&__Qpb=1&seot=1&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965856 4294965857 4294921535 1527 904&silo=1011

maxrpm
3rd October 2011, 11:43 PM
yeah am leaning toward the silver one had dropped the price yet again

gmonkey
4th October 2011, 01:09 PM
spanner in the works... diesel turbo? if fuel economy and power is what your after

maxrpm
4th October 2011, 05:15 PM
spanner in the works... diesel turbo? if fuel economy and power is what your after

indeed, however i am not all for that "i dont think there is enough oil in my engine" diesel sound.

if they could fix that issue with diesel then i would be keen. my mate bought an audi 1.8 and when he started his car everyone was asking whats wrong with it, is it supposed to sound like that? i know its superficial but only diesel i want to deal with is my tradey flat bed.

Shay
4th October 2011, 06:28 PM
astra diesel sounds pretty much like a normal car...

gmonkey
4th October 2011, 06:57 PM

+1 and with a decent exhaust backbox and a pod sounds pretty mean!

maxrpm
5th October 2011, 10:48 AM
fair call, however if something went pop when it shouldnt, i hear diesels are inherently expensive to work on.

wouldnt be much i could do myself apart from putting in fuel and driving it.

lonewolf1983
5th October 2011, 11:23 AM
turbo.
The issues you had with your previous FWD turbo car was that it was an MX6, quite possibly one of the worst cars ever made.

GreyRex
5th October 2011, 12:10 PM

On the move yes

Idle - definately not

sooty
5th October 2011, 12:18 PM
On the move yes

Idle - definately not

+1 :)

maxrpm
5th October 2011, 12:21 PM
turbo.
The issues you had with your previous FWD turbo car was that it was an MX6, quite possibly one of the worst cars ever made.

ha ha yes i think wheels magazine dubbed it an "unguided missile"

i guess they were good for their time like most things in the early 90s

Wraith
5th October 2011, 01:15 PM
indeed, however i am not all for that "i dont think there is enough oil in my engine" diesel sound.

if they could fix that issue with diesel then i would be keen. my mate bought an audi 1.8 and when he started his car everyone was asking whats wrong with it, is it supposed to sound like that? i know its superficial but only diesel i want to deal with is my tradey flat bed.

That above ^^^ maxrpm ie. most sound shite when idling but then like any other petrol when on the move...except for some of the newer ones, especially Mazdas new skyactivD which totally sounds like a petrol engine - maybe grab one of those S/H down the track :)

+1 and with a decent exhaust backbox and a pod sounds pretty mean!

Your right !!! was never a fan myself until recently looking into alot of vids of the later oilers out there, some of the tuned and modded ones actually sound pretty impressive...

Now that power (kw) output and performance figures are finally starting to look competitive compared with their petrol counterparts (torque output and efficincy were never a problem) I can see myself becoming an oiler convert - well for my next daily driver anyway :)

gmonkey
5th October 2011, 01:43 PM
turbo.

+1 lol yeh, not bad when they dont have a blown head but.. which is pretty much never :p

maxrpm
7th October 2011, 01:13 PM
i never had a BHG on the mx6, worse, a failing oil pump.

so muchto and fro-ing with the 2.2DI vs the Turbo. test drive of the turbo this weekend hopefully.

hazrd
7th October 2011, 01:32 PM
If you test drive, and end up being keen on the turbo. There is a member on here (jaffa-cre) who is selling his mint AH SRi-T for 16k with stuff all kms on it

maxrpm
7th October 2011, 01:38 PM
i am in WA, is he? havent looked at the for sale threads lately.

maxrpm
7th October 2011, 01:43 PM
bugger he is in NSW, closest i will be is VIC in January. will need wheels well before then.

damn shame.

kabel
7th October 2011, 03:11 PM
John Hughes has a Red AH SriT in his yard for sale.

maxrpm
7th October 2011, 04:24 PM
thanks for the heads up Kabel.

yep thats the second out of the 2 for sale in WA.

may go and annoy them for a test spin. Ks are higher than the other one.