PDA

View Full Version : Skoda reply to Opel Boss predictions

Wraith
22nd September 2011, 11:55 AM
Or is it actually VW Aust. getting a little hot under the collar LOL

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2011/skoda/skoda-has-a-warning-for-opel-australia-26861

hazrd
22nd September 2011, 12:04 PM
Where i can appreciate the point that VAG are putting forward, their Skoda brand came in with no "previous model" setup (as far as im aware :skep: )

The advantage Opel has over Skoda, is that the Astra and Barina (with reasonable reputation to say reliable aswell) has been selling here for many many years albeit under the "Holden" flag. At the end of the day, if Opel market their strategy right, I am on Mr. Mott's side with the 15k prediction he has advertised.

When Opel cars were sold in Australia wearing General Motors Holden badges, Astra sales hit a peak of 33,000 in 2005 – a figure which would put it among the top five selling cars today.

And I will bet that the majority of that 33k number would have been.... the Astra :swg:

Wraith
22nd September 2011, 12:09 PM
And I will bet that the majority of that 33k number would have been.... the Astra :swg:

Agree, by far their most popular model sold here in Australia...

rjastra
22nd September 2011, 12:32 PM
The advantage Opel has over Skoda, is that the Astra and Barina (with reasonable reputation to say reliable aswell) has been selling here for many many years albeit under the "Holden" flag. At the end of the day, if Opel market their strategy right, I am on Mr. Mott's side with the 15k prediction he has advertised.
:

Opel has no advantage here as none of the models coming up for sale look anything like the models people bought here as Astras/Barinas. Most owners thought they were fricken Holdens when they bought then the first time :) By the time they lob on the Australian market in late 2012 the previous owners of Astra and Barinas would have long since moved onto other brands.

And look at Holden... strengthening their model range even before Opel launches. Cruze sedan and hatch (eligible for Govn sales), Barina (expect a 1.4T Sri within 12months and a luxo CDX, sedan coming), Malibu (Insignia fighter)

JohnBu
22nd September 2011, 12:47 PM
When Opel cars were sold in Australia wearing General Motors Holden badges, Astra sales hit a peak of 33,000 in 2005

I bet you you 100% of that 33k number is all Astra! haha

If Skoda's looked better and were more sharply priced (except for the Octavia RS which is keenly priced), sales would increase dramatically.