PDA

View Full Version : Importing Opels before the rise?

Jerram
22nd September 2011, 11:02 AM
Hi All

As we are aware, Opel is planning to launch Australian sales in the not-too-distant future. We also know that they are, despite their GM underpinnings, planning to compete with the likes of VW. This means that we will likely be paying VW like prices if we fancy them.

A good idea to get around the often drastic price inflation Australian models are delivered with would be to import cars from the UK where they are much cheaper. This is however essentially impossible for post 01/01/89 cars due to rather protectionist import prohibitions. It is worth noting however that if post '89 cars are not sold in Australia they can often be added to the SEVS register and legally imported. When it comes to Opel you may know that some of their newest models are currently on that register, and 2nd hand versions of them are becoming good value buys in the UK (where cars often suffer massive depreciation after around 2-3 years of life).

So the question is, is anybody planning on personally importing a value buy Insignia VXR or Astravan (heh) into Aus in the knowledge that soon you'll have the dealer here, with parts and servicing?

Also I wonder if such vehicles will stay on the register when Opel does start trading here.

gmonkey
22nd September 2011, 11:32 AM
still risk of no warranty... and then you might import an engine thats not supported aswell....

but yes id love to import a corsa OPC

Wraith
22nd September 2011, 11:47 AM
Don't know about that one Jerram, just speaking about new not s/h AFAIK it'll cost you more to import in say a Scirocco from NZ according to info I got almost a couple of years ago, compared to what the VW Aust. price is now that they're going to be sold here...

Also the warranty is a concern, unless you go through an importer your on your own...

Don't know how different or not the Opel pricing will be, but wouldn't it just be much easier and far more peace of mind to buy a s/h one here after they arrive ?? depreciation will hit them too, VW's drop like a stone in the 1st 3 years so I wouldn't expect Opels to fair any better...

gmonkey
22nd September 2011, 12:06 PM
just have a look to import say a Corsa OPC over from UK you'd be looking at around $24k aud

30k miles = $8000 gbp = $16000aud

6k-8k AUD for shipping

thats just to get it here

then + Rego, new Instrument cluster for Km/h + any general items to get it to RWC

So nearing $30k (which is what id think a NEW Corsa OPC will nearly cost over here)

And then you have the matter of insuring a rare import for the time inwhich Opel isn't here and then there still is the matter of its year not matching the sales history for insurance agencies so probs more on your premium then too

Wraith
22nd September 2011, 12:13 PM
just have a look to import say a Corsa OPC over from UK you'd be looking at around $24k aud

30k miles = $8000 gbp = $16000aud

6k-8k AUD for shipping

thats just to get it here

then + Rego, new Instrument cluster for Km/h + any general items to get it to RWC

So nearing $30k (which is what id think a NEW Corsa OPC will nearly cost over here)

And then you have the matter of insuring a rare import for the time inwhich Opel isn't here and then there still is the matter of its year not matching the sales history for insurance agencies so probs more on your premium then too

On top of all of that you may also have other issues of non-compliances as the O/S vehicles may have been fitted out differently to suit individual Country ADR requirements, this may cause insurance companies to not insure the imported vehicle...

IMHO unless it's a vehicle you have to have that's simply not available here or some rare exotic etc. I wouldn't bother with imports, just my opinion though...

Jerram
24th September 2011, 01:16 PM
hmm it's an interesting point. One thing I do know however is that depreciation in the UK does hit certain cars a heap more than in Australia. Good example I know of would be the Jaguar XJR. You can get an early X350 4.2 over there for 6,000 pounds - the same car here will still leave you the far side of 55k. It seems like depreciation in the UK is similar for around 3 years than in Australia, but after that prices seem to just nosedive over there, whilst, for some makes at least they keep dropping at a steady rate.

Wraith
26th September 2011, 11:44 AM
hmm it's an interesting point. One thing I do know however is that depreciation in the UK does hit certain cars a heap more than in Australia. Good example I know of would be the Jaguar XJR. You can get an early X350 4.2 over there for 6,000 pounds - the same car here will still leave you the far side of 55k. It seems like depreciation in the UK is similar for around 3 years than in Australia, but after that prices seem to just nosedive over there, whilst, for some makes at least they keep dropping at a steady rate.

Well Jerram if that's one of those cars you just have to have and price wise it seems like a bargain go for it :)

You just have to make sure you've got all the rest of the info needed like logistical, import, duty etc. etc. costs and how you plan on servicing/looking after it, insurance etc. if all that's under control then I can't see why not...

kabel
26th September 2011, 01:21 PM
Off Topic But.
I had a letter from the new GM of Opel Australia last week.
Anyone else get one ?

poita
26th September 2011, 01:34 PM
Off Topic But.
I had a letter from the new GM of Opel Australia last week.
Anyone else get one ?

A lot of us did, it was from when you signed up on the Opel website