PDA

View Full Version : More info on new AJ Astra

Wraith
15th September 2011, 04:42 PM
Good read :)

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2011/small-passenger/frankfurt-motor-show-opel-astra-gtc-to-focus-on-handling-not-power-26730

Dahlia
15th September 2011, 05:16 PM
I'm still trying to decide if I like the look of it or not.

SIMid
17th September 2011, 06:19 PM
I'm still trying to decide if I like the look of it or not.

+1 looks too generic, nothing new to be innovative.

Milesy
17th September 2011, 06:59 PM
Too generic....have you guys had a look at a Golf or any VW lately! When I think of vanilla I think of VW. They are nice but far from exciting.

IMO the new Astra GTC looks fantastic and when you see it in the flesh you will change your mind. I can't wait to order my new Astra OPC when it arrives here late next year!

poita
17th September 2011, 07:16 PM
Too generic....have you guys had a look at a Golf or any VW lately! When I think of vanilla I think of VW. They are nice but far from exciting.

IMO the new Astra GTC looks fantastic and you see it in the flesh you will change your mind. I can't wait to order my new Astra OPC when it arrives here late next year!

^^ this!

hazrd
17th September 2011, 08:05 PM
Opel will already be ahead of the rest if their delivery times are better than VW's. I know GolfR owners that waited 15 months for their car.. like wtf!!!!

When I think of vanilla I think of VW

Completely unbiased, I disagree. They are going down the vanilla track due to value for money. For example, they still havent changed their standard GTi wheels (detroit) since 2006, but once you spend a little extra, it starts to look a little better/unique (and not so vanilla).

If they keep changing things up a little from model to model, they should see themselves at least catching up to VW (if not passing them)

metry
18th September 2011, 10:05 AM
Completely unbiased, I disagree. They are going down the vanilla track due to value for money. For example, they still havent changed their standard GTi wheels (detroit) since 2006, but once you spend a little extra, it starts to look a little better/unique (and not so vanilla).

If they keep changing things up a little from model to model, they should see themselves at least catching up to VW (if not passing them)

i completely agree with this statement. the only reason they seem generic and "boring" is because theyre everywhere. but once people do something as small as put a set of wheels on. it changes the whole look of the car. Also VW is offering massive value for money and they now pretty much have a car for every segment.

Milesy
18th September 2011, 10:28 AM
Value for money is a subjective thing but I agree on the wheels. It just screams out tight arse when a car company launches a new car and doesn't change the wheels. It costs just $80k to tool up an alloy wheel which is nothing in the scheme of things. I guess you could also argue they are smart because it makes people pay extra for the upspec wheels.

Anyway what do you all think of the new Passat? Surely that would have to be one of the most boring and conservative cars on the market. You will be sure to see them at the local bowls club near you! Bring on the Insignia!

hazrd
18th September 2011, 10:31 AM
in comparison to the previous model passat, i quite like it. although i havent seen inside one yet

that being said, the insignia will be a damn good competitor for it !!

Milesy
18th September 2011, 10:55 AM
Don't get me wrong I actually like VW's but it's just that when it comes to styling they don't take any risks and try to style cars that do not polarise opinion and appeal to the majority. So to someone like me who likes a bit of aggression and difference in my cars, the current range of VW's just don't excite me...but that's just my opinion.

This is why Opel should do well, if they launch the cars properly at the right price and get the quality right then they will offer a stylish German alternative to VW which can only be a good thing for consumers!

gmonkey
18th September 2011, 12:28 PM
Im with VW being vanilla and boring in styling always have been.... When the mk5 and mk6 looked almost exactly the same bar some headlights and a bit of plastic here and there = vanilla to me... Theyre following suit of porsche it seems in keeping the "iconic" shape, but to me the golf shape hasnt been iconic since MK1 and got well and truely lost along the way at MK4..

If i were to choose a hot hatch cause of styling.. itd still be the Megane RS, the GTC is close to the shape of it but just not as good, might be better in the metal but.

Dahlia
18th September 2011, 12:51 PM

IMO the new Astra GTC looks fantastic and when you see it in the flesh you will change your mind. I can't wait to order my new Astra OPC when it arrives here late next year!

^^ this!
I hope this happens!

chrisjay93
18th September 2011, 08:42 PM
dad went to germany, saw this:
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00059/ed_imgSNF2408MA_59776a.jpg

look way similar

gmonkey
18th September 2011, 08:46 PM
scirroco looks nothing like what the GTC will look like in the metal, looks much different in the metal/plastic.. scirocco in real life is more like a 3dr stretched fiesta

Wraith
19th September 2011, 12:27 PM
Value for money is a subjective thing!

So, so true, it'll be a never ending arguement and/or discussion on that topic, it's most definitely a case of each to their own when it comes to "value for money" spent on cars !!!

As for new Passat, I like it... :)

I also very much like the look of the new upcoming Golf verts, very very nice...

Pity they just didn't discontinue the Eos and make a hard top Golf vert instead, maybe on the Mk7...

JohnBu
19th September 2011, 01:20 PM
Pity they just didn't discontinue the Eos and make a hard top Golf vert instead, maybe on the Mk7...

Isn't the Eos just a hard top golf anyway?

In principal I prefer soft top convertibles... 4 door hard top convertibles always look odd with the roof up.

GreyRex
19th September 2011, 04:06 PM
If i were to choose a hot hatch cause of styling.. itd still be the Megane RS, the GTC is close to the shape of it but just not as good, might be better in the metal but.

Definately agree

I've seen the Astra GTC show car in the metal and it didn't do much for me (and i owned an AH!!)

The Megane looks awesome i reckon

aussie_in_london
19th September 2011, 07:52 PM
It looks ok the GTC but its doesn't have the flare factor to it like the H sports hatch did with the exterior body pack and 18's 5 spoke wheels when released back in 05, this looks soft and bloated, it has lost its muscular appearance the previous had and many tried to copy, now its just 'another' hatch in a market that all look much the same.........

Will keep my H opc, that has the flare I am talking about, and the buz factor this misses out on!

Wraith
20th September 2011, 11:57 AM
Isn't the Eos just a hard top golf anyway?

In principal I prefer soft top convertibles... 4 door hard top convertibles always look odd with the roof up.

AFAIK it is John, all the more reason to give it the flick and just continue with a Golf vert now that it has been resurrected :)

I do agree and I too prefer soft top verts, but in my case because I already have one I wouldn't want to have 2 so a as much as I like this new Golf vert it's a no no for me...

I'm guessing the Golf verts will follow the same path as the Audi A3 verts, whatever happens to them configuration wise the Golf will follow suit :)

Wraith
20th September 2011, 12:00 PM
It looks ok the GTC but its doesn't have the flare factor to it like the H sports hatch did with the exterior body pack and 18's 5 spoke wheels when released back in 05, this looks soft and bloated, it has lost its muscular appearance the previous had and many tried to copy, now its just 'another' hatch in a market that all look much the same.........

Will keep my H opc, that has the flare I am talking about, and the buz factor this misses out on!

How about the new upcoming AJ OPC then :)

I'm sure that variant will have the goods the GTC dosn't ATM :)

maxrpm
2nd October 2011, 12:43 AM
Like any new model of a line up i guess it takes some gettng used tohowever the frist thing that jumps out is the usual headlight and grill combo. subtle but recognizeable. not sure how the poor VW Golf got dropped in the meat grinder abiout its looks but i guess they are almos as easy on the eye. was contemplating one a few weeks back, Golf or a Polo GTi. They are being more common on the road, more than before so i guess people get more Blase about them. whens the last time you jumped up and down about the new Corolla or Camry??? you see them more and more and get used to it. i love the AH astra because they took the risks with the high body pleats and strong body contours. and that hard thud when you close the door screams solid as hell build. i would love to see the VXR/ SRI turbo or 2.2 Direct supercharged version of this baby, moreso would i love to drive it.