PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Australia AXED

ChrisMaz
14th September 2011, 02:38 PM
The last few eps were cringe worthy, but they should have given them more time IMO.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/138000/top-gear-australia-television-program-officially-axed/

poita
14th September 2011, 02:44 PM
It was only a matter of time really.

But yes should of been given a bit more of a go.

Sent from The Gates of Hell

metry
14th September 2011, 03:03 PM
it was inevitable. such a shame really but i got the vibe that the hosts were trying too hard to be like the top gear UK blokes. they should of been more like them selves.

hazrd
14th September 2011, 03:06 PM
they should just stop trying altogether. if it hasnt worked 2nd time round, might aswell just stick to airing the UK one only

sooty
14th September 2011, 03:07 PM
Just heard this on the radio, it had its moments, I didn't mind watching it, but won't really miss it I guess

michael_sa
14th September 2011, 07:51 PM
Not at all surprised.

Agree with the general consensus that they're trying too hard to emulate the UK boys.
TBH I think the UK version has just about run it's course anyway.

Michael.

Dahlia
14th September 2011, 09:29 PM
Glad I didn't bother with the aus version then...

Shay
14th September 2011, 10:55 PM
I like the Aus version, and hate that its been axed.

Btw, pretty sure part of the airing rights of Nine showing TGUK is that they had to produce an Australian version.

benzino
15th September 2011, 02:39 PM
i reckon the 2nd series was heaps better than the first... but still pretty shite

i reckon they needed to start off more like 5th gear and then mature and grow the characters rather than trying to jump straight into the "antics" that makes TGUK so good

also, it didn't help that the budget of the show wasn't as large and aus market cars have nothing on what's available in europe

Shay
15th September 2011, 02:44 PM
this was season 4 of TG Aus ;)

ChrisMaz
15th September 2011, 03:04 PM
I found a lot of the segments they did just didn't gel. The roadtests were the highlight of the show, but the challenges just didn't work, and that stupid V8 engine powering appliances, you could see even the hosts thought it was shit.

benzino
15th September 2011, 03:07 PM
this was season 4 of TG Aus ;)

well there you go...

guy 27
15th September 2011, 03:15 PM
some bits were good most were crap.

the lake eyre ep was good.

Vectracious
15th September 2011, 03:32 PM
some bits were good most were crap.

+1

Just seemed they were trying too hard.

Also, Ewen Page is just not good in front of a camera - I would cringe anytime he was on or speaking. He should just stick to editing magazines...... actually on second thoughts he shouldnt do that either because Wheels was the worst it ever was while he was chief editor....

kabel
15th September 2011, 03:35 PM
Not surprised.
TV Channels seem to be good at only having one idea and then trying to fool the public by milking the heck out of it.

E.G CSI,NCIS,Got Talent,The Voice,Farmer Wants A Ho,,The Block,The Renovators etc etc etc
F.F.S
Try and do something original and then try for another original idea.

ChrisMaz
15th September 2011, 03:38 PM
Channel nine at the moment seem to be pretty desperate for a high rating show, they kicked camelot (Which is an excellent show, much like game of thrones) to second rate GO after one episode.
Nines idea of Original programming is another decade of Underbelly....

It does also reflect the General publics taste in shows though.....

michael_sa
15th September 2011, 04:32 PM
... and aus market cars have nothing on what's available in europe

aint that the truth.

Not surprised.
TV Channels seem to be good at only having one idea and then trying to fool the public by milking the heck out of it.

E.G CSI,NCIS,Got Talent,The Voice,Farmer Wants A Ho,,The Block,The Renovators etc etc etc
F.F.S

This has been a topic of conversation in our house for a few months now, it's pretty crap that no-one wants to take a chance on new programming ideas.

- case in point: 'Big Brother' is back on TV next year - ch 9 apparently.

Dahlia
15th September 2011, 04:58 PM
Thats why I download all the tv shows I want. Old and new. Channel 2,7,9,10 and the rest are shithouse. I havn't even turned my foxtel box on in over 6mnths

Shay
15th September 2011, 05:53 PM
As i said before, it was part of the deal with the BBC to get rights to play TG UK, they had to make a TG Aus otherwise they wouldnt get it...

Dahlia
15th September 2011, 07:56 PM
As i said before, it was part of the deal with the BBC to get rights to play TG UK, they had to make a TG Aus otherwise they wouldnt get it...
No real loss to any of us. I know most of us download it anyway.

michael_sa
15th September 2011, 08:57 PM

That makes no sense to me at all. (and who are 'they' ?)
It follows logic that the BBC would insist as a part of the rights/licence/contract that the UK Top Gear continue to be shown alongside TGA, not the other way around.
btw, if you look at some of the other crud that TGA's production co have been churning out (freehand productions), it's no surprise it's gone down the gurgler.

jamesfrancis
15th September 2011, 09:07 PM

Hit the nail on the head there mate ;) I don't know how they get away with it to be honest, most shows are a blatant rip off of something else. At least Top Gear Australia is part of the bigger Top Gear picture, or was anyway...

Ah well life goes on ;)

Shay
16th September 2011, 02:21 AM
That makes no sense to me at all. (and who are 'they' ?)
It follows logic that the BBC would insist as a part of the rights/licence/contract that the UK Top Gear continue to be shown alongside TGA, not the other way around.
btw, if you look at some of the other crud that TGA's production co have been churning out (freehand productions), it's no surprise it's gone down the gurgler.

They is channel 9...

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/09/gone-top-gear-australia.html

Producing Aussie episodes was always part of the deal Nine had with the BBC’s rights holders.
part of the deal was obviously to expand the brand, its not that hard to comprehend...

Hoss
21st September 2011, 09:05 AM
Not surprised.

F.F.S

Well said.

maxrpm
4th October 2011, 11:52 AM
when you look at the broadcasting history of all 3 of these TGUK guys and their experience with other facets of presentations and programs etc, then to expect the TGA to jump in and have a simialr feel to the TGUK blokes is purely a dream. given the very limited car range as was mentioned previously and very very minimal production budget in comparison teamed with flash in the pan presenters. i would have a better chance starting my own F1 team on a 100k a year budget. its hard to give them credit for giving it a go because when faced with the facts maybe it was doomed form the start. redlining a lambo on cold start does little to win the presenters competency in the car field , for starters. just screams idiot.

seemed like a good idea at the time, then reality kicked in.

gmonkey
4th October 2011, 12:02 PM
i liked the 3 hosts at the end... ?ewen? was my favourite just seemed to have a natural humour that wasnt forced like the other 2 so much

Vectracious
4th October 2011, 12:23 PM
i liked the 3 hosts at the end... ?ewen? was my favourite just seemed to have a natural humour that wasnt forced like the other 2 so much

Ewen page should not be in front of a camera. He was not comfortable in front of it.

Sent from the MAGI.

pd-xc-72464118
24th June 2016, 12:45 AM
Anyone watched Mighty Car Mods on the 'tube? Am I just completely off the mark or would it be an interesting idea to give the MCM boys a mainstream TV gig? Yeah I know they're obsessed with bloody Japanese cars but they seem like a couple of genuinely interesting guys who are more real than most TV presenters.