PDA

View Full Version : VW Scirocco Pricing Announced

poita
14th September 2011, 11:54 AM
Volkswagen Australia has released details and pricing of the new Volkswagen Scirocco R, which will be available in Australian showrooms around the country by the start of 2012. Prices will range from $47,490 to $49,990, before on-road costs.

http://performancedrive.com.au/volkswagen-scirocco-r-australian-prices-announced/

http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Volkswagen-Scirocco-R-5-630x435.jpg

SIMid
14th September 2011, 12:31 PM
Love the front and profile, not sold on the arse. AH Coupe arse looks so much nicer.

Oh well, no more cars for me now! :lol:

dutchy
14th September 2011, 12:41 PM
I drove the standard version last time I was in Europe which wasn't very good. Am now going to try the R on my next visit. Prices look ok but does anyone know how much is added roughly for on road costs ?

guy 27
14th September 2011, 12:47 PM
love the look of the front end, can't wait to see these on the road.

Wraith
14th September 2011, 01:17 PM
Agree with every one elses comments on the visual aspect of the front and rear ends, it's exactly the way I saw and wrote it at this years Melb. International Motor Show :)

IMO the Scirocco's lost a bit of it's shine/desirabilty because there are now so many other new hot hatch models available which are as good or better and the upcoming AJ Astra will add to that...

VW have only themselves to blame for leaving it so long to market this car here, believing that it would canabilise Golf sales and now despite what they say (excange rates etc. etc.) the real reason for pulling their finger out is to have a car that can successfully compete against Reno, Opel etc. had they released it ages ago like most other Countries they would have sold alot more than what they will now with all the newer competitors...

It will be a good thing to see them on our roads :)

hazrd
14th September 2011, 01:19 PM
Saw it at the motorshow and it was next to a golf R
It looks great, much better in the flesh, but I still prefer the golf!

JohnBu
14th September 2011, 01:28 PM
The back is so so.. the rest is fantastic. I've seen one while in Europe..

Sorry Adam, the only reason you'd want a R is the fact it's AWD.

I can see the RS250 being it's (only) direct competitor... though the Scirocco doesn't have an LSD..

hazrd
14th September 2011, 01:52 PM
Yes, thats one of the many reasons why I want one ;)

gmonkey
14th September 2011, 01:56 PM
I think the back is just to "tame" has this massive mean evil front bar and then this boring rounded rear bar... needs a nice race diffuser on the back and more matt black paint and maybe a small lip at the top of the rear window

Wraith
15th September 2011, 05:51 PM
More info...

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2011/small-passenger/volkswagen/volkswagen-scirocco-r-first-drive-26652

rjastra
16th September 2011, 04:57 PM
IMO the Scirocco's lost a bit of it's shine/desirabilty because there are now so many other new hot hatch models available which are as good or better and the upcoming AJ Astra will add to that...

I see only the Renault RS250 being a suitable competitor...and specced like a Scirocco R its about the same price.
You can bet that VW will sell every Scirocco R they can get for Australia. There is a shortage worldwide on this model.

AJ AStra - it's not even slated for release here and the current top engine is a 132kw 1.6L. That's more a competitor to the Scirocco 1.4TSI

Milesy
16th September 2011, 08:58 PM
More bland from VW. This car looks old hat (and IMO just ugly) next to the Renault and new Astra GTC. The new Astra GTC smashes it from a styling perspective and in OPC trim will most likely undercut it on price but will also leave it lagging behind in terms of performance with 200+ kw when it gets here based on what has been in the press of late.

adam_92
17th September 2011, 12:46 PM
More bland from VW. This car looks old hat (and IMO just ugly) next to the Renault and new Astra GTC. The new Astra GTC smashes it from a styling perspective and in OPC trim will most likely undercut it on price but will also leave it lagging behind in terms of performance with 200+ kw when it gets here based on what has been in the press of late.

scirocco r =awd. astra=fwd. IMO the scirocco is more of a ''drivers'' car... you dont look at the exterior of your car while your driving it do you?? i know i dont

rjastra
17th September 2011, 12:47 PM

No one has tested a GTC OPC afaik... If it does prove popular in Europe then it could be 18 months or more before it lobs downunder.
For the Australian market they really need a performance 5 door hatch.

200+ kw when it gets here.
scirocco r =awd. astra=fwd.

Scirocco is FWD only

gmonkey
17th September 2011, 12:52 PM
think the R was awd.. but awd is boring :p

Milesy
17th September 2011, 01:00 PM
No one has tested a GTC OPC afaik... If it does prove popular in Europe then it could be 18 months or more before it lobs downunder.
For the Australian market they really need a performance 5 door hatch!

Scirocco is FWD only

Hopefully it will be here inside 18 months. Fingers crossed!

I disagree about needing a 5 door. If that is what you are after then you are not the target market for this vehicle. If you want a practical family car buy a SS sportwagon. To me if it's not a 3 door then it's not a hot hatch

adam_92
17th September 2011, 01:04 PM
standard scirocco is fwd scirocco R is awd iirc.

Milesy
17th September 2011, 01:37 PM
No all Scirocco's (incl the R) are fwd only.

adam_92
17th September 2011, 01:54 PM
yeah my bad. golf r is awd. i thought the scirocco was aswel.

Wraith
19th September 2011, 01:38 PM
I see only the Renault RS250 being a suitable competitor...and specced like a Scirocco R its about the same price.
You can bet that VW will sell every Scirocco R they can get for Australia. There is a shortage worldwide on this model.

AJ AStra - it's not even slated for release here and the current top engine is a 132kw 1.6L. That's more a competitor to the Scirocco 1.4TSI

Interesting to see what happens, but one thing in favour of the Scirocco is the option or choice of a DSG type trans, both Reno and Opel won't be able to compete with that option and will lose sales because of that, alot if not most Golfs and probably Sciroccos sold are DSG equipped...

AFAIK AJ Astra will be sold here won't it ??

Again a case of each to their own...

IMHO the Scirocco is definitely starting to look a little 'long in the tooth' and the tailgate is fugly - just my opinion - after seeing it real life, it definitely needs a refresh...

RS250 Megane and new AJ look fresh and up to date, the OPC AJ Astra will probably even outperform the RS250 ?? so will be interesting on peoples choices for either one of these...

Either it's all good, plenty to choose from and there's now something for everyone :)

rjastra
19th September 2011, 05:07 PM
Hopefully it will be here inside 18 months. Fingers crossed!

I disagree about needing a 5 door. If that is what you are after then you are not the target market for this vehicle. If you want a practical family car buy a SS sportwagon. To me if it's not a 3 door then it's not a hot hatch

We are talking small hot hatches... not large sedan/wagons :)

Australians like 5 door hatches - even in their hot hatch ranges. The 5 door GTI/R far outsells the 3 door.

gmonkey
19th September 2011, 06:00 PM
We are talking small hot hatches... not large sedan/wagons :)

Australians like 5 door hatches - even in their hot hatch ranges. The 5 door GTI/R far outsells the 3 door.

thats also down to the delivery times on 3drs being rediculous 15months+

BEK-46P
19th September 2011, 07:16 PM
Looks good, but don't really see the point of it all...

Ice
19th September 2011, 09:12 PM
Front wheel drive ? If I had the money, that alone would put me off

Sent from the Darky-Rom

rjastra
19th September 2011, 10:01 PM

Huh? They both come from the same factory. In general, Australians aren't interested in 3 door hatches

Milesy
19th September 2011, 10:28 PM
Regardless of sales figures, there is no doubt that if you are after style a 3 door is the only option.

For me I have my SSV Redline Sportwagon as my family car and my SRi-T as my fun car. When I look for a hot hatch it must be 3 door and manual -no boring flappy paddle DSG gearboxes that take all the fun and skill out of driving! Each to their own but thats my opinion anyway and besides if the majority prefer 5 doors the even more reason to get a 3 door so you have something different!

Red AH SRI T
20th September 2011, 11:09 AM

I sell VW can tell you the wait for 3dr GTI is definitely not 15 months. Probably max of 6 months is more so the case.
3 doors are harder to get in GTI because dealers don't keep them in stock because they don't sell!

gmonkey
20th September 2011, 11:34 AM
In Perth when I was in the market I was quoted near 15month wait.. Same with polo gti new... Wasn't the r32 golf 3dr only? And that sold out quick

Find it funny though that the demand for a 3dr xr5 was soo high and everyone who bought the 5dr wanted ford Aus to bring it over in non rs spec. :P

I don't see the point to a 5dr sports hatch, the idea is for it to look good! If something is to look good u must loose practicality, I don't sit in the rear seat ever so being 3dr don't bother me. People like Uneeq manage to use there 3dr with two baby seats in the back more than fine :p so IMO 5dr is over rated and not needed

Wraith
20th September 2011, 12:50 PM
In Perth when I was in the market I was quoted near 15month wait.. Same with polo gti new... Wasn't the r32 golf 3dr only? And that sold out quick

Find it funny though that the demand for a 3dr xr5 was soo high and everyone who bought the 5dr wanted ford Aus to bring it over in non rs spec. :P

I don't see the point to a 5dr sports hatch, the idea is for it to look good! If something is to look good u must loose practicality, I don't sit in the rear seat ever so being 3dr don't bother me. People like Uneeq manage to use there 3dr with two baby seats in the back more than fine :p so IMO 5dr is over rated and not needed

Interesting on thr wait period, in my experience it came down to the respective Euro company production cycle...

When I was in the market and for a Polo Gti earlier this year (January) I was told if I purchased there and then, it would arrive in June or July, so a 5-6 month wait as per Red AH SRIT's timing :)

However if I left it to March, I wouldn't recieve delivery until end of this year because it would be produced after mid year if ordering after March, BMW, Audi and MB will be a similar thing, depending on when the production run is relative to when you order, you may be lucky and be waiting as little as 2 months or unlucky and waiting as long as 7 months or more...

Waiting periods of beyond 12 months are unusual, I know a guy with an AMG on order from back in July and will have to wait till April next year to take delivery but that's because he has 'designo' options on that vehicle and they only do those production batches once a year...

rjastra
20th September 2011, 02:21 PM

R32 was 3 and 5 door... mostly sold as a 5 door.
XR5 was 5 door only here except for the RS (3 door everywhere). The RS didn't sell out as fast as expected.

Golf R was supposed to be 5 door only... then bitching and moaning VW forums by "potential" customers got VW to bring in the 3 door. This has now been dropped. I am not sure that it sold in any great % numbers than the relationship between the 3 and 5 door GTI.

Polo GTI was 3 door only in previous model and sold in only minor numbers. New model comes in 3 and 5 door (more 5 doors imported than 3 doors) and the sales have exploded.

The fact is that for THIS market if you can't provide a 5 door model your sales will go nowhere.

gmonkey
20th September 2011, 02:26 PM
XR5 was 5 door only here except for the RS (3 door everywhere). The RS didn't sell out as fast as expected.

thats cause was overpriced for what it was :p a hatchback should NEVER be over $50k IMO (unless is an Audi RS3)

Red AH SRI T
20th September 2011, 05:52 PM
R32 was 3 and 5 door... mostly sold as a 5 door.

Golf R was supposed to be 5 door only... then bitching and moaning VW forums by "potential" customers got VW to bring in the 3 door. This has now been dropped. I am not sure that it sold in any great % numbers than the relationship between the 3 and 5 door GTI.

Polo GTI was 3 door only in previous model and sold in only minor numbers. New model comes in 3 and 5 door (more 5 doors imported than 3 doors) and the sales have exploded.

The fact is that for THIS market if you can't provide a 5 door model your sales will go nowhere.

Totally agree. However, I do think that the VW Golf models don't sell well as 3 door models because they are just so boring and boxy. Not sexy at all

Milesy
20th September 2011, 08:24 PM
Totally agree. However, I do think that the VW Golf models don't sell well as 3 door models because they are just so boring and boxy. Not sexy at all

Couldn't agree more!

rjastra
21st September 2011, 09:34 AM
thats cause was overpriced for what it was :p a hatchback should NEVER be over $50k IMO (unless is an Audi RS3)

Yet a Megane RS250 can quite easily breach the $50K mark ;)