PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 - It's here!

poita
14th September 2011, 11:24 AM
Available to download as I type!!

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-windows-8-developer-preview-iso-64-bit-32-bit-now/

This will be a convergence OS, so will be the same/similar across all platforms.

So desktop, laptop, phone, tablet will be the same base.

And before someone jumps on the bandwagon, yes I know they are doing what Crapple does

guy 27
14th September 2011, 11:24 AM
so did i just waste money on 7?

poita
14th September 2011, 11:32 AM
nah not at all dude.

besides win xp, windows 7 is the best os you will get

wait until service pack 1 or more with windows 8, as a launch OS is always full of bugs.

i will upgrade no doubt, but im one of those people who always has to have the latest software.

Dahlia
14th September 2011, 11:39 AM
Oooh, might have to install it in vmware.

poita
14th September 2011, 11:44 AM
thats my plan, its 3.6gb, getting it at about 420kb/s

waiting for my modem to spontaneously combust :lol:

Vectracious
14th September 2011, 12:00 PM
does it look any different, or is it just a slight change to the Aero theme like Vista to 7?

poita
14th September 2011, 12:01 PM
very different Pete, have you used a Windows Phone 7 with the tiled platform?

It will look like that

Vectracious
14th September 2011, 12:03 PM

It will look like that

interesting! can you put some screenshots up when you install it?

poita
14th September 2011, 12:36 PM
yer i will for sure

had to restart my download 40% in :(

laptop was unplugged, i've been out and come back it went flat. d/l failed dammit

dglewis80
14th September 2011, 01:37 PM
thats my plan, its 3.6gb, getting it at about 420kb/s

waiting for my modem to spontaneously combust :lol:

**** being on 3G!!!

hazrd
14th September 2011, 07:10 PM
**** being on 3G!!!

If ur nice to me I can get it for u :-)

Sent From The Matrix

metry
15th September 2011, 12:28 AM
so did i just waste money on 7?

probably not. as some guys said wait a few months till after the release and buy the upgrade. they usually release an upgrade for windows to turn into the newest one. they did for vista and 7

Bloodnok
15th September 2011, 08:02 AM
probably not. as some guys said wait a few months till after the release and buy the upgrade.

And this isn't a release. It's a Developer Preview. This is the kind of thing where Microsoft themselves will say "Do not run this on your main computer". We haven't got to Beta 1 yet, let alone RTM. And as people say, SP1 is probably when you can consider it stable enough for everyday use.

Bloodnok
15th September 2011, 08:09 AM

It will look like that

Wow. I think the last huge change we had from Microsoft that was that revolutionary in interface terms was Windows 95...

JohnBu
15th September 2011, 12:29 PM
I was thinking of installing win7

I'm still on WinXP service pack 3... no more support

poita
15th September 2011, 12:52 PM
Do it John, just remember it will be a fresh install, there is no upgrade path from XP -> 7

Sent from The Gates of Hell

Dahlia
15th September 2011, 06:21 PM
Do it John, just remember it will be a fresh install, there is no upgrade path from XP -> 7

Yeah, you really shouldn't "upgrade" a operating system. You will cause bugs in the long run.
Most people should just backup their stuff. Do what Pete said and do a fresh install and then put your files back from the back up.

When I used to run Windows machines, every couple of months I'd reinstall windows just to remove any bugs in the system and it speeds it up a hell of a lot too... Just like a new computer every couple of months.

poita
15th September 2011, 06:38 PM
Its more to the point that you actually can't upgrade from XP to 7. Its impossible, you can only from vista to 7

Dahlia
15th September 2011, 06:41 PM
Its more to the point that you actually can't upgrade from XP to 7. Its impossible, you can only from vista to 7

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was most of the os's. Like you cant upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows Vista. But as I said, upgrades arn't worth it even if you can like Vista to 7. Honestly, windows hasn't impressed me since windows 98se haha.

Bloodnok
16th September 2011, 07:33 AM
Honestly, windows hasn't impressed me since windows 98se haha.
Interesting how different OSes impress different people.

I loved Win95 when it first came out - such a change from 3.1. Win98 struck me as pointless. I started 'playing' with NT4 - but it wasn't until the release of Win2K that I found what I had been looking for. I'd count that as the second Windows that impressed me. XP didn't impress me, but I considered the 64 bit version worth switching to. (For the curious, it's actually windows 5.2 internally - and is closer to Server 2003 than XP). I got myself a legit copy of Vista - but I never actually installed it. Now using 7 on the laptop (because it came with it), and I find it OK, but not impressive. It's more a case of I can't be arsed formatting it - 7 isn't bad enough that I'd actually go through the effort of wiping it and installing XP64 - or the likely pain of finding drivers.

Might try installing 8 inside VPC soon - if that doesn't work, then I'm sure there's some spare hardware around here I can try it on :)