PDA

View Full Version : Targa West 2011 Photos

Shay
31st August 2011, 02:00 AM
Targa West 2011 photos by me...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.223899900992384.49395.187002284682146&type=1

I have entered most of those photos into a competition that is open to public vote.

So in the next day or so i will post a link and you could all vote for my photos that would be awesome!!!

Shay
31st August 2011, 10:18 AM
Hey Guys,

Competition page is up.
Please Vote 5 stars for all my photos...

http://www.targawestphotos.com.au/photographerprofile.aspx?artist_id=55

kabel
31st August 2011, 01:30 PM
Done !

ChrisMaz
31st August 2011, 01:36 PM
Voted. Nice shots.

cobey
31st August 2011, 01:49 PM
Done !!! Great shots

Shay
31st August 2011, 01:57 PM
Done !

Voted. Nice shots.

Done !!! Great shots

Thanks heaps guys.

Silver Surfer
31st August 2011, 02:55 PM
Done

sooty
31st August 2011, 05:01 PM
Why are the backgrounds in all the photos from the one corner blurred, added via photoshop? just detracts from a good photo i reckon.

Shay
31st August 2011, 05:08 PM
nah its due to motion, focal length and apperture.
all of the shots at that corner were at about 1/80 shutter speed and i had pre-auto-focussed the camera to right infront of me not of to the side, where most the better looking shots ended up.

and IMO there is no point taking a snapshot of motorsport as then the car may as welll be parked on the road, the photos need a sense of movement. the main goal of mine was to get a clear car body with nice wheel blur, background blur is a bi-product...

sooty
31st August 2011, 05:15 PM
In that case you did well to get the cars so clear, nice work

Shay
31st August 2011, 05:17 PM
yeah cheers, sure they would look better with a more appropriate lens, like the 24-70mm f2.8, but i dont have that sort of money atm.

gmonkey
31st August 2011, 06:08 PM
done... the gtr one is background at work even :p

Shay
31st August 2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the support everyone.

gman
1st September 2011, 10:22 AM
voted yesterday...Love the Evo 6 corner shot...

Shay
1st September 2011, 10:28 AM
voted yesterday...Love the Evo 6 corner shot...

yeah same.
got more photos of all of those cars i need to work with.
but i just wanted to get some up for that comp...

poita
1st September 2011, 10:31 AM
voted dude :)

JohnBu
1st September 2011, 04:19 PM
Voted..

seems like the GTR is the weapon of choice, well as a proportion of your photos.

Shay
1st September 2011, 06:50 PM
Voted..

seems like the GTR is the weapon of choice, well as a proportion of your photos.

it was... the pink and purple evo has jumped up heaps today... 3rd most rated picture...

hazrd
1st September 2011, 08:17 PM
Done
The old falcon coming round the bend a bit loose is my fav out of the lot

Shay
1st September 2011, 09:29 PM
all of those pics were made at low res (1028x768) as a condition of the comp, if you guys want large copies for backgrounds or whatever, let me know and ill try replicate them again.

JMZ
6th September 2011, 12:53 PM
nice shots mate. what's the trick to a clear shot of the vehicle but with blurred wheels and background?

my photos keep coming out like you said, as a parked car on a road.

Shay
6th September 2011, 10:47 PM
are you using a DSLR of point and shoot camera.

the joy of DSLR is that you can control everything individually, so for these shots i set a slow shutter speed (1/80 to 1/150 sec) and then let the camera meter the aperture and iso.
i generally auto-focus the camera where i think ill get the best pic of the car, then strafe and shoot continuously, and hope a good one comes out. haha.

ill post up a series of shots for you later.

PaulyJ
7th September 2011, 08:22 AM
Well done mate
The 24-70 f2.8L is a brilliant lens that stays on my body about 95% of the time.
On the occasions I borrow the 70-200 f2.8L USM, that is the god of lenses!

Doing well mate and picking up on the techniques. Just keep practicing. Even go out to a busy road and practice your panning. Yes people will look at you weird, but at the end of the day its practice.
Keep it up buddy!

JMZ
7th September 2011, 10:56 AM
are you using a DSLR of point and shoot camera.

the joy of DSLR is that you can control everything individually, so for these shots i set a slow shutter speed (1/80 to 1/150 sec) and then let the camera meter the aperture and iso.

ill post up a series of shots for you later.

DSLR Canon 450D. I tend to rely on the pre-set functions but I do play with the manual settings every now and then, depending on the object being photgraphed.

I now know my issue is the ISO setting is WAY too high on the 'sports' setting and is freezing the images completely even when panning the camera while shooting. I'll give your settings a crack next time I'm at the track.

Thanks Shay.

Shay
7th September 2011, 12:32 PM
Well done mate
The 24-70 f2.8L is a brilliant lens that stays on my body about 95% of the time.
On the occasions I borrow the 70-200 f2.8L USM, that is the god of lenses!

Doing well mate and picking up on the techniques. Just keep practicing. Even go out to a busy road and practice your panning. Yes people will look at you weird, but at the end of the day its practice.
Keep it up buddy!

Thanks mate, means a lot coming from you.

DSLR Canon 450D. I tend to rely on the pre-set functions but I do play with the manual settings every now and then, depending on the object being photgraphed.

I now know my issue is the ISO setting is WAY too high on the 'sports' setting and is freezing the images completely even when panning the camera while shooting. I'll give your settings a crack next time I'm at the track.

Thanks Shay.

In settings you can set you max auto iso, i think mine is set to 1600.
I generally only ever use "Tv", "M" and "no flash auto" modes...

Using "long" exposure you want your Iso and aperture low so the pic doesnt get washed out.
low aperture also gives better depth of field, which i like trying to play around with in static shooting...