PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Dead!!!

BEK-46P
29th August 2011, 07:39 PM
Bah! Finally downloaded Undead Nightmare and played it for a few minutes before the unit decided to not want to recognise discs (of any content). Days of research has left me with only one conclusion: buy a brand new 160GB PS3 for $299 from Harvey Norman.

Haven't heard too many positive stories from people who got their laser fixed/Blu-Ray drive replaced for anywhere between $100-200.

Just seems logical to spend another $100 and buy a brand new unit... and perhaps sell the old unit for $150 as non-game-playing device :)

Thoughts?

poita
29th August 2011, 07:43 PM
buy aa new one, repaired PS3`s are never the same.

Then get onto Quantronics (from memory) and buy the parts you need to repair your old one

Then keep it as a second bluray player, media streamer or sell it off

BEK-46P
29th August 2011, 08:36 PM
Can't figure out which to replace - the laser or the whole blu-ray drive? Plus I've read stories that they're not even replaceable!

Dahlia
29th August 2011, 10:03 PM
buy aa new one, repaired PS3`s are never the same.

Then get onto Quantronics (from memory) and buy the parts you need to repair your old one

Then keep it as a second bluray player, media streamer or sell it off
Yep http://www.quantronics.com.au/ is their website. I got my PS3 laser replaced by them. Worked great right up until the ps3 wouldn't load anything, no menu, no sounds, nothing. Dead. Since I also had a xbox 360, I'm now a xbox man... Rather spend my cash on my car rather then a PS3.

Can't figure out which to replace - the laser or the whole blu-ray drive? Plus I've read stories that they're not even replaceable!
Replace the laser, its cheaper and makes more sense. They are replaceable. I know this first hand.

benzino
30th August 2011, 07:30 AM
this thread should be called "un-dead ps3 nightmare" hahahahaha

anybody?
no?

chrisjay93
30th August 2011, 09:56 AM
Days of research has left me with only one conclusion: buy a brand new 160GB PS3 for $299 from Harvey Norman.

solution: buy an xbox ;)

Dahlia
30th August 2011, 11:15 AM
solution: buy an xbox ;)
That's what I did. And a hell of a lot less COD drop outs.

faneca
30th August 2011, 12:20 PM
buy a new 1 i had my laser replaced not last year and its gone on me and its another $200 to get fixed

ChrisMaz
30th August 2011, 03:33 PM
Buy an xbox. Replace the PS3 laser, and just use it as a standalone blu-ray player/paperweight.
Basically all I use mine for nowadays.

chris_r
3rd September 2011, 12:10 AM
Only game I ever play on the PS3 is GT5, but yeah, I'm kinda getting sick of it. As I also own a couple of 360's (one is stock, one is JTAG'd), I'm waiting for Forza 4. At least they put more recent Opel cars in it, lol. Since I JTAG'd the second console, the only thing my PS3 does is collect dust, along with the Wii (You know, those little white boxes that have those controls you can wave around like a tool and get nowhere with).

The other thing you could do with the PS3, is turn it into a George Foreman Grill. I've seen that on the web somewhere.

ChrisMaz
3rd September 2011, 06:00 AM
I was looking forward to Forza 4... Until EA blocked the use age of PORSCHE in the game. What a bunch of dicks.