PDA

View Full Version : Essential tools in your toolbox - ?

michael_sa
28th August 2011, 10:59 AM
We've just recently purchased into the Opel family :clapsmiley: (Astra G)

What are the tools one can't go without for basic and medium level repairs and maintenance?

Things like - particular sizes of spanners/sockets etc...
- any special tools for basic servicing - torx drives (sizes?) etc...

Thanks in advance.

Michael

guy 27
28th August 2011, 11:02 AM
duct tape and zip ties are all thats ever required.

get yourself a set of torx bits (t10-t45 will cover just about everything)
nothing else is really special.

Feelinlucky75
28th August 2011, 11:06 AM
We've just recently purchased into the Opel family :clapsmiley: (Astra G)

What are the tools one can't go without for basic and medium level repairs and maintenance?

Things like - particular sizes of spanners/sockets etc...
- any special tools for basic servicing - torx drives (sizes?) etc...

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Definately a set of torx bits... T45 is needed to remove the sump bolt for an oil change...
Quite a few bolts and screws in the interior and engine bay are also torx, around t25, t30...

sooty
28th August 2011, 11:11 AM
You might also require some torx sockets, but only if you're really trying to get into the motor components

NZSHAKER
28th August 2011, 11:24 AM
I was thinking the same thing...just had a quick look on ebay and http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamperproof-Torx-Set-8-Piece-1-4-Square-Drive-13645-/380309656416?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588c38d360 this looks the goods

nick_sixx
28th August 2011, 11:32 AM
Torx screwdrivers
Torx Sockets
Normal socket set
Normal Screwdriver set
Adjustable wrench
Hammer + Rubber mallet
Electrical + duct tape
Zip ties

Done

cobey
28th August 2011, 01:04 PM
WD40 and oil filter remover

poita
28th August 2011, 06:14 PM
I can't see it mentioned yet, but I reckon you should get some torx bits

gmonkey
28th August 2011, 06:21 PM
torx bits and a blowervac

ChrisMaz
28th August 2011, 06:33 PM
Brenton you missed you're most important...

Hammer.

gmonkey
28th August 2011, 07:00 PM
fuk yes... Hammer.. astras ALWAYS need the persuader

Drache Mithal
29th August 2011, 09:32 AM
I was thinking the same thing...just had a quick look on ebay and http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamperproof-Torx-Set-8-Piece-1-4-Square-Drive-13645-/380309656416?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588c38d360 this looks the goods
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/35pcs-all-one-E-socket-Torx-Bit-set-/130498311208?pt=AU_Hand_Tools&hash=item1e624e3428 - looks pretty decent :)

michael_sa
29th August 2011, 08:51 PM
Well I've decided that I'll def be needing some torx stuff - I'm surprised really that no-one's mentioned it already http://www.dolforums.com.au/public/style_emoticons/default/rofl1.gif
Anyway, will check out my parts place tomorrow and see if they have a kit with in'ies and out'ies. Might get one of those smaller torx tools as well, I actually already have the exact same (blue) one as linked to above, but it lives in my work van, so it'd be good to have a separate one just for the car.
Other than torx drives/sockets I guess I'll play it by ear and buy whatever size spanners and sockets as the need arises - always had jap cars previously, so only ever really needed 8/10/12/14/17/19mm stuff and have never worried about forking out for a full tool-kit when I know I wouldn't need most of it.

Thanks for all the replies, but I'm still wondering where the blower-vac might go - (two stroke auxilliary forced induction maybe...?)
- maybe in vac mode, hooked up to the exhaust... hmmm, got me thinkin' now... http://www.dolforums.com.au/public/style_emoticons/default/driving.gif

Michael

dutchy
29th August 2011, 09:44 PM
get an opcom too, will be the cheapest and probably the most valuable tool in your kit.

michael_sa
29th August 2011, 10:56 PM
get an opcom too, will be the cheapest and probably the most valuable tool in your kit.

Yeah briefly read about them, I'm still playing catch-up on exactly what that'll achieve for me - total noob here but hey I'm on the (learning) curve ;-)
Presume it plugs into the OBD connector - and I don't even know where that is yet in the G. (Though I'd guess it's near the bonnet release somewhere)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael

phatmax
29th August 2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah briefly read about them, I'm still playing catch-up on exactly what that'll achieve for me - total noob here but hey I'm on the (learning) curve ;-)
Presume it plugs into the OBD connector - and I don't even know where that is yet in the G. (Though I'd guess it's near the bonnet release somewhere)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael

Its under the handbrake (plastic in between the handbrake and gearbox sections)..sharp blunt object to lift it out. +1 OP-COM. Good luck.

michael_sa
30th August 2011, 12:22 AM
Its under the handbrake (plastic in between the handbrake and gearbox sections)..sharp blunt object to lift it out. +1 OP-COM. Good luck.

Cheers for that, I woulda found it eventually - I used to install a lot of HF/VHF/UHF communications gear and 'phone kits into cars, so I'm pretty used to pulling them apart - never worked on an Astra though.

Michael.

gman
30th August 2011, 12:38 PM
Brenton you missed you're most important...

Hammer.

fuk yes... Hammer.. astras ALWAYS need the persuader

The technical term is a "mechanical impact tapometer".... ;)