PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on diesel tuning boxes

chris_r
26th August 2011, 10:01 PM
Hi all,

I'm aware that a few people on here have or had diesel Astras with tuning boxes fitted. I have a turbo diesel Hyundai iLoad van (I work as a contractor for Aussie Post) that's now out of warranty and was thinking of fitting one of these boxes to it. Only problem I'm having is choosing which one.

I see tuning boxes go for anywhere from $150 to over $1200, but I'm curious as to whether the more expensive one is really $1000 better than the cheapest ones. In my case I spent about $33k on purchasing the van new, so I wouldn't be fussed spending money on a decent unit, but I don't want to be wasting money I don't need to on a unit that may perform just slightly better.

So can anyone shed some light on this little conundrum?

sooty
26th August 2011, 10:11 PM
Some just act us resistors, others will actually take in the boost and throttle values to input fuel by raising the commonrail pressure.
I had both the greenbox and the crdt from dieseltuninguk on my astra, never had any issue at all with either and both worked extremely well. Both were also plug and play so could be installed or removed in a matter of seconds.
I'd check out if they have one for your van, it's a brand I trust.
DPchip also do some good Aussie based ones, but are more conservative on the power and torque than the DTUK ones

chris_r
27th August 2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks, I was looking at the DTUK setup. Apparently, the iLoad/iMax vans (in the UK it's called the i800) require a different type of box, as the usual methods won't work on these engines. For less than $600 landed, it sounds like a reasonable deal. Especially when I can apparently go from 125kW/392Nm to about 155kW/470Nm.

Wraith
29th August 2011, 12:47 PM
It's become an interesting topic for me too recently Chris, as I'm 'possibly' looking at a TD sometime next year as daily driver update, alot of newer and upcoming TD's and TTD oilers are finally starting to look desirable IMO :)

What I've found is that most brands give or advertise a straight 25% increase over stock power and torque figures (some of which I find hard to believe without a dyno verification) and some have an adjustment to go either up or down, they also claim/advertise better economy with 'normal' driving...

Maybe some of the guys on here (Ain and others) who've had oilers can shed some light as to whether those numbers are actually achieved or not ??

gslrallysport
30th August 2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks, I was looking at the DTUK setup. Apparently, the iLoad/iMax vans (in the UK it's called the i800) require a different type of box, as the usual methods won't work on these engines. For less than $600 landed, it sounds like a reasonable deal. Especially when I can apparently go from 125kW/392Nm to about 155kW/470Nm.
Hi mate,

Look up the i800 on www.superchips.co.uk (http://www.superchips.co.uk)

I've also got a diesel iLoad, we flashed it in house here with superchips, and it made 165hp at the wheels, or basically what it started with at the fly:

http://performanceforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45263&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1294387111

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs002.snc6/165272_478212706502_518916502_6268655_1386073_n.jp g

And the thing is now suitably a rocket ship, and tows the rally car like it's not even there... Under a $1k.

Anyone in Brisbane we can do the Superchips/Bluefin flashing, but not sure who does it in Adelaide. I've also just Superchips flashed my diesel Forester, with also similarly incredible gains.

Computer can also be reverted back to standard if need be...

Any questions at all just let me know, but some of the results we get from the VAG diesels (Polo, Golf, A3, Touareg etc.) are quite incredible!

Cheers,
Greg

poita
30th August 2011, 10:16 AM
Got a finger in everything don't you :p

Gatecrasher
30th August 2011, 10:45 AM

That's what she... Aahhh never mind too easy.

Wraith
30th August 2011, 12:44 PM
Hi mate,

Look up the i800 on www.superchips.co.uk (http://www.superchips.co.uk)

I've also got a diesel iLoad, we flashed it in house here with superchips, and it made 165hp at the wheels, or basically what it started with at the fly:

http://performanceforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45263&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1294387111

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs002.snc6/165272_478212706502_518916502_6268655_1386073_n.jp g

And the thing is now suitably a rocket ship, and tows the rally car like it's not even there... Under a $1k.

Anyone in Brisbane we can do the Superchips/Bluefin flashing, but not sure who does it in Adelaide. I've also just Superchips flashed my diesel Forester, with also similarly incredible gains.

Computer can also be reverted back to standard if need be...

Any questions at all just let me know, but some of the results we get from the VAG diesels (Polo, Golf, A3, Touareg etc.) are quite incredible!

Cheers,
Greg

Hey Greg, are you able to get any numbers from or have you guys done any of the current 'blue efficiency' MB oilers at all ?? specifically the 250 CDI 2.1ltr TTD engine, some of the numbers I've seen from tuning boxes on those do seem a little incredible or hard to believe...

LOL he does seem to be everywhere, but it's all good :)

sooty
30th August 2011, 01:14 PM
Maybe some of the guys on here (Ain and others) who've had oilers can shed some light as to whether those numbers are actually achieved or not ??

The numbers are definitely achievable, at least with the Astra. Stock ~ 90fwkw, greenbox ~ 118fwkw, crd-t ~ 125-130fwkw. All with little or no sacrifice to economy. on long hauls they actually improve the economy.

gslrallysport
30th August 2011, 01:38 PM
Hey Greg, are you able to get any numbers from or have you guys done any of the current 'blue efficiency' MB oilers at all ?? specifically the 250 CDI 2.1ltr TTD engine, some of the numbers I've seen from tuning boxes on those do seem a little incredible or hard to believe...
Checkout the Superchips website (the UK one, not the Australia one as it's not updated as often) and if it's got it listed, it will have the claimed hp and torque increase. Having personally done my diesel Forester and diesel iLoad (both modern common rails) I can definitely vouche for Superchip's figuires being damned close to reality... In fact the iLoad exceeded the expectation...

Having seen what they screw out out of the VAG group of diesels, nothing would surprise me, and at the end of the day they all run the same management systems, so the results are all very similar. The iLoad runs the Bosch common rail computer (same as most of the Euro's) and the Forester is a Denso unit. There's not really any other systems used by modern Diesels... and having had two modern diesels (both still owned) I'm a massive fan of them!!!

chris_r
31st August 2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks Greg. The iLoad is definitely a cracker in stock form, but looking at those dyno charts, those gains look pretty damn good. Looking at the local Superchips site, it turns out the local dealer is Blackwood Dyno, across the other side of the city. Not that the distance worries me anyway.

I'm still waiting to get my iLoad back, as I apparently failed to service it correctly, so my warranty is up a certain muddy-coloured creek minus a paddling device. As a result, it's in the process of a complete bottom end rebuild with a new crank and two new conrods. Maughan Thiem Hyundai (the morons I bought the iLoad from) wanted over $12k to fit a new short motor. Aust Jap Engines of Elizabeth South have quoted me just over a third of that price for rebuilding the bottom end and refitting the engine to the car. So you can pretty much guess what I said to the dealership.

After the fiasco with the dealership, I've learnt a very good lesson that everyone should know. Never go back to the dealership for anything more than your first 1000km service and warranty repairs (provided they don't shaft you first). I would recommend going to your local and trusted mechanic rather deal with dealerships and their lame managers who don't even know what a spanner is, let alone how to use one. I was charged $2k for the dealer to remove the engine and strip it, only to find my big end bearings were knackered and two of my conrods were buggered as a result. It should've been no more than 6-8 hours of work to remove the sump, check the bearings, etc., not remove the entire engine and strip it down, bolt by bolt.

So now that my warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on, I'm free to do whatever I want with it, provided I keep up regular servicing, which I can do myself anyway and not get ripped off to the tune of $700 for the privilege. But even after all this, I'd still prefer the iLoad over the Toyota Hiace, Mitsubishi Express (which is showing it's age), Ford Tragedy (which is what the Ford spare parts guys here call the Transit) and the Euro vans. Best thing I like about the iLoad, is the massive amount of torque and I can't see there being a problem with having a bit more, lol.

Bloodnok
31st August 2011, 09:28 AM
Ford Tragedy (which is what the Ford spare parts guys here call the Transit)

Oh what a surprise. Ford Australia can't deal with anything which isn't a Falcon or derived vehicle, just the same as Holden can't cope with the Opel sourced vehicles...

Transit, Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo all have a good reliability reputation in Europe - and a bad one here. It's not about conditions or usage, as it's not anywhere near as different as people make out.

If Ford America get their way, and the Falcon is retired in favour of the Taurus, the local dealers are going to be totally lost...

gslrallysport
31st August 2011, 11:04 AM
Best thing I like about the iLoad, is the massive amount of torque
^ This!

and I can't see there being a problem with having a bit more, lol.
Nup, I've had the sucker fully loaded up with 2 tonne of rally car and trailer behind, and 1 tonne in the van, and abused across the country traveling to events and it's never missed a beat!

gslrallysport
31st August 2011, 11:10 AM
LOL he does seem to be everywhere, but it's all good :)
Technically not completely with this, the Superchips bit we outsource to a partner business called Alba European (who's listed on the Superchips Aus site) who are an unbelievably good workshop for European cars (they spend most of their time going round VW/Audi/Porsche workshops fixing problems they can't)... We come into it because we supply them brakes at near cost, in exchange for servicing assistance at events. We have a lot to do with each other on a regular basis, and next month we're moving into the same premises.

Resume regular programming!

Wraith
31st August 2011, 01:01 PM
The numbers are definitely achievable, at least with the Astra. Stock ~ 90fwkw, greenbox ~ 118fwkw, crd-t ~ 125-130fwkw. All with little or no sacrifice to economy. on long hauls they actually improve the economy.

Checkout the Superchips website (the UK one, not the Australia one as it's not updated as often) and if it's got it listed, it will have the claimed hp and torque increase. Having personally done my diesel Forester and diesel iLoad (both modern common rails) I can definitely vouche for Superchip's figuires being damned close to reality... In fact the iLoad exceeded the expectation...

Having seen what they screw out out of the VAG group of diesels, nothing would surprise me, and at the end of the day they all run the same management systems, so the results are all very similar. The iLoad runs the Bosch common rail computer (same as most of the Euro's) and the Forester is a Denso unit. There's not really any other systems used by modern Diesels... and having had two modern diesels (both still owned) I'm a massive fan of them!!!

Thanks guys :)

Greg I briefly went into one of the Superchips U.K sites as advised above, but nothing came up for the blue efficiency Mercs ?? they do have tuning boxes for these on alot of other tuner listings, the ones I've seen are all P&N piggy back boxes, not re-maps though...

So I'm still very curious to know if they are capable of the quoted numbers, especially the torque output...

Again I'm interested in the MB blue efficiency 250 CDI 2.1ltr TTD which some tuner boxes list as putting out nearly 700nm of torque (and nearly 200kw) - f*#* me that's one hard working little 2.1ltr IL4 pot oiler if it's actually capable of that, would transform say a C class coupe into one hell of a performer (albeit it's no slouch as is stock standard with 500nm and 150kw) and be sipping only between 5-6 ltrs/100km...

Technically not completely with this, the Superchips bit we outsource to a partner business called Alba European (who's listed on the Superchips Aus site) who are an unbelievably good workshop for European cars (they spend most of their time going round VW/Audi/Porsche workshops fixing problems they can't)... We come into it because we supply them brakes at near cost, in exchange for servicing assistance at events. We have a lot to do with each other on a regular basis, and next month we're moving into the same premises.

Resume regular programming!

It was just a friendly pat in the back :D

lonewolf1983
31st August 2011, 06:23 PM
merc detune a lot of their petrol and diesel stuff so that they can have a long model life, just upping the power via remap every year or so, so wouldnt surprise me if they were particular receptive to a remap.

Wraith
1st September 2011, 12:41 PM
merc detune a lot of their petrol and diesel stuff so that they can have a long model life, just upping the power via remap every year or so, so wouldnt surprise me if they were particular receptive to a remap.

That makes alot of sense, AFAIK Mercs are the most reliable Euro make but just referring again to that particular MB oiler, the numbers comparatively speaking for what it is are already way over anything else, eg. BMW's latest 2.0ltr TTD and Mazdas forthcoming 2.2ltr high tech 'skyactiv' TTD oiler put them no where near similar torque numbers stock and are left way back when tuned...

I'll have to get more info over the net or MB forums and see if someones got one of these with a box and dynoed it :)

chris_r
3rd September 2011, 12:25 AM
Oh what a surprise. Ford Australia can't deal with anything which isn't a Falcon or derived vehicle, just the same as Holden can't cope with the Opel sourced vehicles...

Transit, Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo all have a good reliability reputation in Europe - and a bad one here. It's not about conditions or usage, as it's not anywhere near as different as people make out.

If Ford America get their way, and the Falcon is retired in favour of the Taurus, the local dealers are going to be totally lost...

True, although given my recent experiences with dealers (Maughan Thiem at Cheltenham for the iLoad and Steinborner Holden in Gawler for numerous other vehicles), I'd say the idiots there would pick up a spanner a just say "WTF do I do with this thing?".

Also, I'd agree with Ford Oz guys on the reliability of the Transit here. My parents had an '07 VM Transit front wheel drive model that ate entire gearboxes and a '97 VG that kept rejecting starter motors. They did have a RWD '07 VM 'Jumbo' that didn't miss a beat though.

And as the previous owner of three Falcons, including a BA MkII XR6 Turbo, I'd say it might not be that bad if Ford HQ replace the Falcon with the Taurus. Taurus is a dirty word amongst local Ford owners, given the ugly version we copped in the 90's, but the newer one doesn't look all that bad. AWD, twin turbo V6 with almost as much punch as the FPV V8 models, it just sounds like they might be getting with the times in terms of the performance car.

chris_r
3rd September 2011, 12:28 AM
^ This!

Nup, I've had the sucker fully loaded up with 2 tonne of rally car and trailer behind, and 1 tonne in the van, and abused across the country traveling to events and it's never missed a beat!

Well, after I finish with Aus Post, I plan on adding a towbar so I can move stuff when I need to. I'm still stuck with this van for at least another 3.5 years, so I might as well make it worth it.